FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Carrots contain few calories and little fat, making them an easy choice for many diets. Are carrots keto, though? We’ll dive in on the carbs in carrots, whether you can enjoy carrots on keto, and a keto carrot recipe that might surprise you.
For more keto answers about your favorite foods, check out this full keto food list (you’ll notice carrots aren’t on the list – but don’t give up on them yet, read on for the explanation below!) and get the set of keto cheat sheets.
Are Carrots Keto Friendly?
Yes, carrots on keto are allowed in small amounts – but don’t go crunching on them just yet.
You must pay attention to the carbs in carrots when you enjoy them, because a serving of them can add up quickly.
Unlike ingredients like white rice that are a hard no for the keto diet, carrots are a bit of a gray area. They are not very keto friendly to eat straight, but may be okay to use in a recipe – more on that below.
How Many Carbs In Carrots?
Do carrots have carbs? They sure do.
One medium raw carrot contains 5.8 grams of total carbs and 1.7 grams of fiber, which means it also contains 4.1 grams of net carbs.[*]
And for those wondering how many carbs in baby carrots, a serving of about four large baby carrots is 4.5 grams of net carbs.[*]
Can You Eat Carrots On Keto?
Carrots and keto do mix, if you pay attention to serving sizes. You’ll notice that many keto carrot recipes do not overwhelm the dish with carrots, but use them more to enhance flavor and texture.
Why are carrots bad for keto? They are not good or bad per se. However, for anyone following a traditional keto diet that does not exceed 20-25 g net carbs per day, eating whole carrots would quickly fill this limit.
Keto Carrots Substitutes
Finding a swap for carrots on keto can be tricky — it depends on how you would normally use them. Check the low carb carrot recipes below before making a substitution right away.
Here are a few keto carrot substitutes to consider
- Celery, cucumber, or bell pepper – These contain fewer carbs per serving, but just as much crunch. If you enjoy veggies and dip, try these options instead of carrots.
- Onions – Onions have a carb count similar to carrots, but you may be able to use less of them if the purpose is to add flavor.
Keto Recipes With Carrots
Are carrots low carb? Not very, but they are perfect for adding small amounts as part of a low carb dish.
These recipes allow you to enjoy your favorite orange veggie on keto without running up your macros:
- Keto Carrot Cake – Sweet and moist, with 5.5 net carbs per slice!
- Sesame Asian Kelp Noodles – An addictive stir fry starring carrots, sesame sauce, and very low carb noodles.
- Keto Pot Roast – Carrots still add flavor to this classic, meaty dish.
- Keto Chicken Soup – You can still enjoy some carrots in a bowlful of this comforting soup.
- Keto Carrot Cake Muffins – These are in my hardcover keto cookbook and make a delicious portion-controlled carrot recipe!
Are carrots keto friendly? They can be! Just pay close attention to how you enjoy them, and how much.