FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- What Is Cajun Seasoning?
- Cajun Seasoning Ingredients
- How To Make Cajun Seasoning
- Is Cajun Seasoning Keto Friendly?
- Is There A Substitute For Cajun Seasoning?
- What Is The Difference Between Cajun and Creole Seasoning?
- Can You Make Salt Free Cajun Seasoning?
- How To Store Cajun Seasoning Mix
- How To Use Cajun Seasoning
- Tools To Make the Best Cajun Seasoning Mix
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning Mix Recipe
I’ve been making variations of this homemade cajun seasoning recipe for a few years now, starting with the cajun low carb onion rings I used it for first. But when I made keto jambalaya recently, I thought it would be helpful to share how to make cajun seasoning mix for it as well, in its own post.
This blend can be used in so many different ways in your cooking (sharing plenty of ideas below, from main dishes to sides to pasta), and adds a balanced bit of savory and spice flavor to just about anything. Plus, it’s ready in just 5 minutes (maybe less!), needs just 8 ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, and from my experience has authentic flavor without being too complicated – that makes it the best cajun seasoning in my book!
What Is Cajun Seasoning?
Cajun seasoning is a mix of dried herbs and spices, originating in Louisiana. Cajun cuisine often includes bell peppers, onions, and celery as well. You can buy the spice mix, but it’s super easy to make your own homemade cajun seasoning… and takes just 5 minutes.
But what is cajun seasoning made of? It’s just the following combination of herbs and spices…
Cajun Seasoning Ingredients
The spices in cajun seasoning can vary a little depending on the recipe. This cajun seasoning recipe includes:
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Red pepper flakes
The amounts of each ingredient are on the recipe card below.
How To Make Cajun Seasoning
So, how to make your own cajun seasoning? It couldn’t be easier to make it and elevate your cooking!
Simply stir the ingredients together in a bowl, or an airtight jar if you’ll be storing it for later.
Is Cajun Seasoning Keto Friendly?
Yes, this homemade cajun seasoning mix is keto friendly, with 0.8 grams net carbs per serving. The serving size is a teaspoon, which is a common amount that a serving of a dish containing this seasoning would contain. And it’s a great way to add cajun flavor to just about anything!
Is There A Substitute For Cajun Seasoning?
If a recipe calls for cajun seasoning and you don’t have any, the best option would be to make your own using this cajun seasoning recipe. Even if you are missing one of the ingredients, that would probably be my first choice.
Alternatively, creole seasoning is somewhat similar.
What Is The Difference Between Cajun and Creole Seasoning?
The flavor profile of the two is very similar. The main difference between cajun vs creole seasoning is the ratio of herbs vs spices, and in some cases the spices used. Cajun seasoning emphasizes spices over herbs and is more spicy, while creole seasoning has a larger amount of dried herbs, making it more mild.
Can You Make Salt Free Cajun Seasoning?
Absolutely, you can make this cajun seasoning recipe without salt, and then add any necessary salt directly into the recipe you use it for. This gives you more flexibility to adjust the salt in each dish to taste.
TIP: Since the salt makes up 1/8 of the recipe, you may need to reduce the amount used if you omit the salt, if you want the same flavor intensity. The difference is slight (technically you’d use 7/8 teaspoon of salt-free cajun seasoning for each full teaspoon of salted), so the simpler way is to use a scant teaspoon measuring spoon instead.
Alternatively, if you just want to reduce sodium, you can also add salt substitute instead of the salt in cajun seasoning.
How To Store Cajun Seasoning Mix
This cajun spice seasoning recipe should be stored in an airtight jar in the pantry for 2-3 years, though it will be fresher within 1-2 years.
How To Use Cajun Seasoning
There are a lot of ways to use this cajun seasoning mix recipe! Once you mix up a batch, try it with some of these recipes:
- Keto Jambalaya – A low carb twist on the classic Louisiana dish, using this easy cajun seasoning recipe.
- Cajun Chicken – Swap out the Italian seasoning in this juicy chicken recipe for cajun seasoning spice mix instead.
- Cajun Shrimp – Saute shrimp in a little oil or butter, and give them a hefty sprinkle of diy cajun seasoning before serving.
- Cajun Seasoning For Salmon – Brush salmon with olive oil, then top with cajun seasoning and bake.
- Cajun Burger – Swap out the dry spices for homemade cajun seasoning mix in this juicy burger recipe.
- Cajun Fries – Sprinkle the best cajun seasoning over rutabaga fries or zucchini fries. SO good!
- Cajun Pasta – Toss it with your favorite pasta recipe. Personally, I use zucchini noodles.
- Onion Rings – Sprinkle these keto onion rings with homemade cajun spice for a little kick.
More Homemade Seasoning Mixes
- Taco seasoning
- Italian seasoning
- Keto fajita seasoning
- Ranch seasoning – This recipe is actually for ranch dressing, but you can make the seasoning by omitting the wet ingredients.
Tools To Make the Best Cajun Seasoning Mix
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Glass Jars – These small glass jars are the perfect size for your homemade cajun seasoning mix. Complete with labels!
- Measuring Spoons – Stained and missing measuring spoons? It’s time for an upgrade. These are my favorite and affordable!
- Spice Organizer – Is your spice cabinet out of control? Mine was too, until I found these organizers! Bonus points for using a label maker! Once you’re organized, make and add your homemade cajun seasoning blend to the shelf.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning Mix Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Homemade Cajun Seasoning Mix Recipe
Learn how to make cajun seasoning mix in just 5 minutes! This simple homemade cajun seasoning recipe uses spices you probably already have at home.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Stir all ingredients together. Store in an airtight jar.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 tsp
Video Showing How To Make Cajun Seasoning:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Cajun Seasoning!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂