Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food ListGet It Now
If there’s one type of meal that makes an appearance most often at our house, it’s low carb dinner recipes that are an entire meal in one. Even more so when they are flexible enough to make ahead or freeze! This easy, low carb keto cheeseburger casserole has been a favorite for a long time, because it fits all of that criteria and it’s family-friendly. I’m excited to finally share it with you! I hope this keto hamburger casserole will become a staple for your family like it is for mine.
Unlike other keto casseroles, this casserole has layers like a cheeseburger! The base is similar to my loaded cauliflower casserole, while the beef and topping layers are similar to a big mac casserole. You’re going to love it!
Why You’ll Love This Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
- Cheeseburger taste, without the bun
- Seasoned ground beef
- Gooey, melty cheese
- Quick prep time
- Just 2.6g net carbs per serving
- Naturally gluten-free
- Easy cheeseburger casserole recipe for meal prep
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for a cheeseburger keto casserole, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Avocado Oil – For your pan. Olive oil or any other neutral cooking oil works.
- Cauliflower – Some people make cheeseburger casserole with pasta, but I used cauliflower rice for a healthier option that’s just as comforting. You can also use store-bought riced cauliflower (fresh or frozen), or use one of my roasted cauliflower recipes as the base instead.
- Sea Salt
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – Pairs with the riced cauliflower for a cheesy layer. You can use any cheese you’d serve on a burger, such as mozzarella, Swiss, or Monterey Jack.
- Heavy Cream – Makes it rich and creamy. You could also use half and half, or coconut cream.
- Ground Beef – I typically use 85/15 grass-fed beef, which is flavorful without being too greasy, but use any variety you like. You could even sub ground chicken or ground turkey for lighter options.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Ketchup – My fave is homemade sugar-free ketchup, but I like this store-bought brand when I’m in a hurry.
- Mustard – I used yellow mustard for classic hamburger flavor, but Dijon mustard works, too.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – For a gooey topping.
How To Make Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
This section shows how to make low carb cheeseburger casserole with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Make the base layer. Heat the oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower rice and sea salt. Stir fry until the cauliflower is cooked and a little browned. Remove from heat, then stir in cheddar cheese and heavy cream. Transfer the cauli rice mixture evenly to a large glass casserole dish.
- Make the beef layer. Cook the ground beef until browned. Drain any excess grease if needed. Sprinkle ground beef mixture evenly over the cauliflower.
- Add toppings. Drizzle the keto cheeseburger casserole with ketchup and mustard. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake. Place the hamburger casserole in the oven and bake, until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted.
- Store: Wrap the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap or transfer the casserole to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- Meal prep: Make the casserole, and then portion it into individual containers in the refrigerator for easy lunches.
- Reheat: Simply pop bowls of individual portions in the microwave for a minute or two, until warm. Alternatively, you can reheat the entire dish in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes.
- Freeze: Cover the keto cheeseburger casserole with plastic wrap followed by foil, then keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can reheat right from frozen, but it’s much faster if you thaw in the fridge overnight first. You can also freeze individual portions instead to enjoy on meal at a time.
- Garlic – Cook a couple cloves of garlic before cooking the cauliflower. For a shortcut, sprinkle the cauli rice with garlic powder instead.
- Onions – Saute diced onions in the olive oil before adding the cauliflower rice to the pan. You could also just stir in some leftover caramelized onions. You could also saute them with the beef instead.
- Spices – I kept it simple with just salt and pepper, but a teaspoon of Italian seasoning or a dash of chili powder added to the meat would work well.
- Bacon – For a low carb bacon cheeseburger casserole, sprinkle chopped oven bacon on top, either before or after baking the casserole.
- Big Mac Style – Follow my big mac casserole recipe, or just drizzle this one with Big Mac sauce.
- Fresh Toppings – Top with chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, diced or sliced pickles, or any other burger toppings you like.
What To Serve With Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
This keto hamburger casserole is a complete meal on its own, but like a burger, you may want a side or two. Here are some ideas:
- Low Carb Fries – Make it a classic fast-food meal by pairing this keto hamburger casserole with a side of keto french fries or jicama fries. If you want a veggie twist, try zucchini fries.
- Salad – I love to pair this casserole with a simple arugula salad, but you can pair it with any of my keto salad recipes for a quick and easy side dish.
- Roasted Veggies – Serve keto cheeseburger casserole with a side of roasted vegetables like broccoli, or for extra comfort food, cheesy keto brussels sprouts.
- Fruit – For a light and refreshing side, simply serve this dish with a side of keto fruit.
More Keto Casserole Recipes
If you love low carb casseroles that make a complete meal on their own, here are some of my other meal-worthy casserole rotations:
Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
Keto Cheeseburger Casserole
Make this low carb keto cheeseburger casserole with hamburger, cauliflower, cheddar cheese, and zesty toppings for an easy, comforting meal.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Rice the cauliflower using a food processor or box grater. (Learn more about how to make cauliflower rice here.)
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower rice and sea salt. Stir fry until the cauliflower is cooked and a little browned, about 7-10 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in the cheddar cheese and heavy cream.
Transfer the mixture evenly to a 9 x 13 in (23 x 33 cm) glass casserole dish. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Lightly wipe down the saute pan to remove any cauliflower pieces, and add the ground beef. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook the ground beef until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain if needed.
Sprinkle the ground beef evenly over the cauliflower in the casserole dish.
Drizzle the casserole with ketchup (you can make your own sugar-free ketchup like this, or store bought is fine if you are not strictly sugar-free) and mustard. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Bake for about 10 minutes, until casserole is hot and cheese melts.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1/9 of entire casserole (cut into approx 3 x 4.3 in rectangles)
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂