This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Keto maple syrup used to be impossible to find on a keto diet, let alone make at home… until now! This sugar-free maple syrup recipe captures all the thick, sticky texture and rich maple flavor of conventional syrups, without the carb spike. Plus, just like keto simple syrup and sugar-free chocolate syrup, this keto pancake syrup uses just a few simple ingredients!
If you plan on making your own sugar-free pancake syrup, the right sweetener is a must. I made it using erythritol for years because it was the only option available that didn’t have a strong aftertaste, but it didn’t dissolve well and would re-crystallize later. (Most sweeteners, even powdered ones, will do this, creating gritty syrup.)
Now I only use Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend for this reason: It stays dissolved for a super smooth syrup with all the sweetness of conventional powdered sugar! It’s the best way to make sugar-free syrup keto.
Is Maple Syrup Keto?
Conventional maple syrup does not align with a ketogenic lifestyle, as it contains a whopping 14 grams of sugar in just one tablespoon! Most other syrup substitutes contain fake flavors, high fructose corn syrups, or preservatives that either bump up the carb count or taste terrible. Luckily, it’s easy to make a low carb syrup that tastes just like the real thing — without the sugar spike. (You can also buy Wholesome Yum Keto Maple Syrup, which has no artificial ingredients or aftertaste, if you’d rather not make your own.)
Why You’ll Love This Sugar-Free Maple Syrup Recipe
- Sweet maple flavor
- Smooth, thick, sticky, pourable texture
- Just 3 simple ingredients (plus water)
- Done in 10 minutes
- 0g net carbs per serving
- Stores for weeks
- Delicious on all your favorite breakfasts!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for low carb syrup, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – The best natural sugar swap for this homemade keto maple syrup recipe! Unlike other powdered sweetener options, this one dissolves completely and stays dissolved for smooth and sweet results… and no aftertaste whatsoever. If you must use a different keto sweetener, keep in mind that it must be powdered for best results, and many brands will crystallize when storing.
- Maple Extract – Develops the natural flavors of maple, without the sugar. Extracts vary in potency and quality, so the amount you need and the taste can vary depending on what you use. Some brands are clear in color, which will affect appearance as well. I recommend this brand, which has great flavor and makes a beautiful golden sugar-free maple syrup.
- Xanthan Gum – A keto cornstarch substitute that helps thicken the low carb pancake syrup.
VARIATIONS: Make flavored keto syrup!
Add these flavors to your sugar-free maple syrup, all while keeping it keto-friendly:
- Flavor extracts – Add vanilla extract to the pot while simmering (in addition to the maple extract), or swap the maple with any other flavor you prefer!
- Fruit syrups – Simmer and mash keto fruit in a saucepan until soft. Strain and discard solids, then include fruit in the finished syrup.
- Add spices – Include cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, a fresh knob of ginger, or cloves to the syrup when storing. Infuse for 2-4 days, then strain out solids.
- Include citrus – Include citrus zest or peel when simmering.
- Add bourbon – Pour 1-2 tablespoons into the saucepan when simmering.
How To Make Keto Syrup
This section shows how to make keto pancake syrup, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Simmer. Add Besti, maple extract, and water to a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer and stir with a whisk occasionally, until sweetener dissolves.
- Whisk. Pour the keto maple syrup base into a medium bowl. (You can also use a blender, but the appearance is better if you whisk in a bowl.). Lightly and evenly sprinkle half of the xanthan gum over the top (do not dump).
- Thicken more. Sprinkle remaining xanthan gum over the syrup base and whisk again. Allow syrup to rest and thicken further.
- Enjoy. Transfer the sugar-free maple syrup to a bottle for pouring and storage.
TIP: Syrup still not thick enough?
Add more xanthan gum (1/16th teaspoon at a time) and whisk again. Be sure to sprinkle and avoid dumping it all in at once to avoid clumping.
- Store: Keep keto maple syrup covered in the fridge for up to 2 months. I recommend a glass bottle like this one for convenience.
- Reheat: If you like warm syrup (or used a sweetener that re-crystallized), heat in a saucepan on low heat until smooth and warm. You can also microwave in a glass bottle, which will heat but won’t fix crystallization.
- Freeze: You can freeze this sugar-free maple syrup, but I recommend making it fresh. The texture may change after freezing. If you do freeze, cover and store in an airtight container. Warm gently in a saucepan or thaw overnight before serving.
Ways To Use Keto Maple Syrup
This syrup adds an instant upgrade to just about any sweet keto breakfast! Serve it with these classic dishes.
- Low Carb Pancakes – Pour it over my classic keto pancakes, almond flour pancakes, coconut flour pancakes, or cream cheese pancakes.
- Keto Waffles – Pair this keto maple syrup recipe with almond flour waffles, coconut flour waffles, or chaffles.
- Hot & Cold Cereals – This sugar-free syrup recipe makes the perfect finishing touch on keto overnight oats or keto oatmeal.
- Snacks & Desserts – Use syrup to make keto energy balls or top keto ice cream.
Homemade Sugar-Free Keto Maple Syrup Recipe
Get Zero Sugar Maple Syrup For Your Needs -- This Pre-made Version Is Even Better!!
Meet Wholesome Yum Zero Sugar Maple Syrup: this natural sugar-free syrup tastes, bakes and pours just like maple syrup does - with NO aftertaste and only 2g net carbs!GET IT HERE
Sugar-free Keto Maple Syrup (3 Ingredients!)
Make sugar-free keto maple syrup with just 3 ingredients + 0 net carbs in 10 minutes! Use keto pancake syrup for breakfast, snacks, and more.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Whisk together the water, Besti, and maple extract in a small saucepan.
Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sweetener dissolves.
Wait a few minutes to allow the syrup to thicken further. If it's still thinner than you'd like, add a little more xanthan gum, just a tiny bit (1/16 teaspoon) at a time and immediately whisk again.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 2 tbsp
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂