Healthy "Olivie" Russian Olivier Salad Recipe
This is a healthy version of the popular Salat Olivie ("Салат Оливье")! Everyone will love this Russian Olivie Salad recipe - lower in carbs but just as delicious! It's easy to make and stores well.
Don't worry, the advertisements will NOT show up when you print the recipe.
- 1 large head Cauliflower (cut into small florets, ~6 cups florets)
- 1 cup Carrots (diced small)
- 1/2 24 fl oz jar Pickles (drained, diced small)
- 10 large Egg (hard boiled, diced)
- 1/2 lb Ham (diced small; try to look for uncured, no sugar, or if you can't find that, <1g sugar per serving)
- 1/2 15-oz can Peas (drained; skip for paleo or whole30)
- 1 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- 3/4 tsp Sea salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
Cook the cauliflower and carrots together on the stove or in the microwave.
Stove method: Fill a pot with water and add a tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil. Add the small cauliflower florets and diced carrots. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until very tender. Drain well.
Microwave method: Add the small cauliflower florets, diced carrots, and 2 tablespoons water to a large bowl. Microwave for 10 minutes on high, stirring halfway through. (You can cover with plastic wrap if it doesn't touch the cauliflower, which will make it cook faster.) Drain well.
While the cauliflower and carrots are cooking, dice the pickles, eggs, and ham.
Whisk together the mayo, Dijon mustard (if using), salt, and pepper, to taste. (The dressing should be on the salty side, because it will coat the remaining ingredients that are completely unsalted.)
Stir together the cooked cauliflower, cooked carrots, pickles, eggs, ham, and peas. Stir in the mayo dressing mixture.
Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Salat olivie will keep well overnight, or even for a few days if needed.
Serving size: 1/2 cup