FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 200,000+ others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Yes, you can make low carb gluten-free pickles without flour! These keto fried pickles are fried to perfection with a crispy coating, and use just 5 simple ingredients that you may already have on hand. Don’t forget to serve these low carb fried pickles with my spicy appetizer dipping sauce.
I’m all about big spreads of appetizers for parties, gatherings, and sporting events… aren’t we all really there for the food anyway?! Appetizers are not known as the healthiest foods, but that’s exactly why I’ve made keto versions of your favorites!
This post for easy fried pickles without flour was originally published on July 5, 2017, and the post was republished in January 2021 to add updated pictures and useful tips.
The keto fried pickles recipe is by my friend, Kim from Low Carb Maven. The photo at the top of the post is Kim’s, while the others I added later to show the process. Mine browned a bit darker than hers, but were still delicious!
How To Make Keto Fried Pickles
Let me show you how to make fried pickles without flour! We’re using a low carb breading of protein powder and grated cheese, which results in very crispy fried pickles with just a hint of crystalline texture from the protein powder. The coating browns nicely and the pickles stay crispy for a long time.
- Prep. Drain pickles and dry on paper towels. Mix eggs in a small bowl. Whisk together protein powder and cheese in another bowl.
TIP: You can buy the actual pickles, or make keto pickles yourself at home.
- Assemble. Dip pickles in egg wash, shaking off any excess before placing into coating mixture.
TIP: Use separate hands to handle the wet and dry bowls. Don’t let a wet hand go back and forth between the wet and dry bowls too much, to avoid clumping the breading.
- Fry. Carefully place pickles into hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides in a nonstick skillet. Place cooked pickles on a paper towel.
- Serve. Serve low carb fried pickles with spicy dipping sauce.
Gluten-Free Fried Pickles FAQs
Are fried pickles gluten-free?
Traditional fried pickles are not gluten-free, as they are breaded in a flour-based breading.
In this recipe, we’re making the fried pickle batter without flour, so it’s a great gluten-free alternative.
Are fried pickles keto?
Most fried pickles are not keto, as they have a flour-based breading.
In this version, we’re making the fried pickles with protein isolate powder and grated cheese… it’s the perfect keto alternative so that you can enjoy crispy keto fried pickles!
Can you use a different breading?
Yes. This keto fried pickle recipe uses whey protein powder for the breading, but you could also use:
- A combination of pork rinds and parmesan, like Kim does for her crispy eggplant
- A combination of pork rinds and whey protein powder, like I did for keto chicken tenders
- Just plain pork rinds, like I do for keto fried chicken
- Super fine almond flour, like I do for low carb chicken nuggets or fried squash
Low Carb Fried Pickles Storage Instructions
Can you make them ahead?
Like any fried food, these pickles are best made fresh and eaten immediately.
If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze them?
Yes, you can freeze the pickles in a single layer and then transfer to a freezer bag for 2-3 months.
To freeze, apply the breading but do not fry. Freeze in a single layer on a sheet of parchment paper. Once solid, transfer to a freezer bag.
To fry frozen breaded pickles, do not thaw. Fry in oil right from frozen over medium-low heat, to allow them to heat through without burning.
How to reheat gluten-free fried pickles:
For already fried low carb pickles, bake them in the oven on a oven-safe rack or reheat quickly in a skillet over medium-low to low heat. Do not microwave them, or they’ll be soggy.
More Keto Appetizer Recipes
If you like this gluten-free fried pickles recipe, you might also like some of these other keto appetizer recipes:
- Mini Keto Corn Dogs– These adorable corn dogs taste just like the real thing…but have just 1.1 grams net carbs each!
- Keto Mozzarella Sticks – Crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside. Super easy and just 6 ingredients.
- Lemon Pepper Wings – Just 5 minutes to prep these wings. They come out perfect every time!
- 7-Layer Taco Dip – This is the perfect make-ahead dip. Serve with bell peppers, zucchini chips, or low carb chips.
Tools To Make Fried Pickles Without Flour:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Whey Protein Isolate – This is the brand I recommend because it has 0 net carbs and works well for this recipe. Results may vary if you use a different one.
- Nonstick Skillet – Use a nonstick skillet to ensure your fried pickles don’t stick to the pan.
- Serving Platter With Dip Section – Serve up these low carb fried pickles in this serving platter that has a spot for the appetizer dipping sauce.
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Keto Fried Pickles Recipe
Low carb keto fried pickles without flour are CRISPY and easy! Plus, this gluten-free fried pickles recipe needs just 5 simple ingredients.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get The Easy Keto App by Wholesome Yum
Custom low carb meal plans, recipes, and macro tracking to make keto easy - from your iPhone, Android, & computer.GET THE KETO APP
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Drain the pickles and dry on paper towels. (Save the pickle juice to pickle zucchini or to brine chicken.)
Beat the egg in a small bowl large enough to accommodate 5 pickles.
Procedure: Dip 5-6 pickles in the egg wash, coating completely. Shake off any excess egg and place into the coating mixture to coat. Using a fork to help flip the pickles is helpful. Carefully place the pickles into the hot oil and fry 1 minute or until golden brown, flip.
Meanwhile, coat the next five pickles and place in the pan to cook. Continue until all of the pickles have been coated and cooked. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve at room temperature with spicy dipping sauce.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 8 pickle rounds
Video Showing How To Make Keto Fried Pickles:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Fried Pickles!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂