FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Many of you have been telling me you want more low carb lunch recipes. So, today I want to share one of my favorite quick ones: an easy cucumber subs recipe! If you aren’t sure how to make cucumber sandwiches, don’t worry because this will be a total breeze.
What Are Cucumber Subs?
Cucumber subs are sandwiches that use a cucumber instead of the bread! They are light, easy to make, and can fit just about any diet under the sun.
My cucumber subs recipe emulates a regular turkey sandwich, minus the bread. (Of course, is bread is more up your alley, you can always use one of my low carb bread recipes for that!)
Are Cucumber Sandwiches Healthy?
Yes! Especially if you make them low carb by using the cucumber as the bread.
Sometimes people think of cucumber sandwiches as little tea sandwiches on white bread with cucumbers inside. As you can see, these are not that!
My version of homemade cucumber subs is definitely both healthy and delicious.
How To Make Cucumber Sandwiches
Making low carb cucumber sandwiches takes just a few minutes! Cut them in half lengthwise, then cross-wise. Then, scoop out the seeds using a spoon, like this:
We scoop out the seeds for 2 reasons:
- So that we don’t end up with too much cucumber
- So that the cucumber subs don’t get watery really fast!
Next, spread mayonnaise in a thin layer inside all the cucumber halves. About a teaspoon each is a good amount:
Next, stack the fillings inside the cucumbers.
Tip: It helps to have things you can fold inside the deepest parts touching the cucumber. I used lettuce on the bottom and an extra piece of rolled up turkey on the opposite half, as shown below. This helps keep your cucumber sandwiches together!
And… voila! Now that you know how to make cucumber sandwiches without bread, the possibilities are endless.
Try mixing it up with these variations:
- Swap turkey with salami, or any other lunch meat you like.
- Add some avocado or guacamole to your cucumber subs.
- Omit the cheese for a dairy-free version.
- Make your own cucumber subs recipe with any sandwich fillings you like!
How To Make Cucumber Subs Ahead Of Time
In general, cucumber subs are best enjoyed fresh. However, you can make them a bit ahead of time if you really want to!
You have two options…
- Best method for taste – Prep all the ingredients, but don’t assemble the sandwiches. You can cut and scoop the cucumbers and portion everything out ahead of time, then assemble the day-of. This will allow you to pat the cucumbers dry right before making your cucumber subs.
- Best method for convenience – Make the entire sandwiches ahead. They won’t get terribly watery because we’re scooping the seeds out of the cucumbers. However, the cucumbers do soften and lose their crunch a bit.
More Low Carb Cucumber Recipes
- Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad
- The Best Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Salmon Stuffed Cucumbers
- Low Carb Sushi Without Rice
Tools To Make Cucumber Sandwiches
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Chef’s knife – A great knife makes it effortless to cut your cukes for cucumber subs!
- Toothpicks – They are not required, but you can use them to secure your cucumber sandwiches, so that they are easier to hold and eat without falling apart.
Cucumber Subs Recipe: How To Make Cucumber Sandwiches!:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Cucumber Subs Recipe: How To Make Cucumber Sandwiches!
How to make cucumber sandwiches without bread! This cucumber subs recipe is quick, simple, and easy to customize. Like a turkey sandwich without the carbs!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Cut both ends off each cucumber. Cut each in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Then, cut in half to make them half the length.
Spread a teaspoon of mayonnaise inside each cucumber cavity (8 total).
Top one cucumber boat with lettuce, tomato slices, a provolone slice folded in half, and 2 turkey slices. Roll a 3rd turkey slice and place into a second empty cucumber boat, so that it fits in there. Close the second half over the first.
Repeat with the remaining cucumbers, making 4 subs total.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cucumber sub
Video Showing How To Make Cucumber Sandwiches:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Cucumber Sandwiches!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂