This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
When it gets too hot to make baked pork chops, or if you want a totally foolproof way to make ’em, easy air fryer pork chops are just the thing! They cook up tender and juicy (no breading needed), without having to turn on the oven. And – bonus! – they are even quicker to make than the oven version. Once you learn how to cook pork chops in the air fryer, you might never go back!
Just like air fryer chicken wings are one of my basic air fryer staples for chicken and air fryer filet mignon is my go-to for steak night, this is one of those basic air fryer pork chop recipes you’ll want to bookmark for anytime you want to make ’em — boneless and bone-in versions included. The method is also similar to air fryer lamb chops!
Can You Cook Pork Chops In An Air Fryer?
Yes! Cooking pork chops in air fryer creates tender and juicy meat. While you can opt to cook pork chops in the oven, that method takes a bit longer and is more prone to drying. Just like with the oven method, you can make boneless pork chops in air fryer OR bone-in. Up to you!
How To Choose Pork Chops For Air Frying
You can make air fryer pork chops boneless or bone-in, at your preferred thickness. Use these tips to choose the best chops:
- Bone-in vs. boneless pork chops in the air fryer: Boneless chops (typically a loin or rib chop with the bone removed) have a quicker cooking time. If you choose to make air fryer pork chops bone in, you will get more flavor with a longer cooking time.
- Rib vs loin chops: Rib chops contain a bit more fat, while loin chops are leaner. Both have a mild flavor.
- Thickness: Choose pork chops that have a similar size and thickness, so that they cook evenly. The best air fryer pork chops will be at least 3/4 to 1 inch thick, but if all you can find is 1/2 inch, they will work fine.
- Appearance: A firm chop with some marbling is ideal — look for firm, pinkish-red flesh and avoid chops that look very pale or have dark spots.
- Humanely-raised or not: I find that humanely raised pork has better flavor, especially for air fryer pork loin chops without breading. If that matters to you too, you might like this meat delivery service I use.
How To Cook Pork Chops In The Air Fryer
Whether you are making boneless or bone in pork chops in air fryer, the steps are the same:
- Make marinade. Mix pork chop marinade ingredients together in a bowl. (Alternatively, you can use pork chop seasoning if you don’t have time to marinate them.)
- Marinate chops for at least 1 hour, but no longer than 12 hours. (They can get mushy if they are left in the marinade for longer than that.) Remove them from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Air fry. Add the pork chops to air fryer (no breading needed!) and cook, flipping halfway though, until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
TIP: I recommend sticking a probe thermometer into the thickest part of one of the chops before you close the air fryer. This way you can ensure they won’t overcook and don’t let heat out to check for doneness.
- Rest. Allow chops to rest 2-3 minutes to keep them juicy.
What temp to cook pork chops in the air fryer?
This air fryer pork chop recipe cooks at 400 degrees F.
How long to cook pork chops in the air fryer?
How long to cook pork chops in the air fryer will vary depending on the air fryer temperature, thickness of the chops, and whether you are using boneless or bone-in pork chops.
For perfect air fryer pork chops, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes first.
Then, add the pork chops and cook using the following chart…
Air fryer pork chops time chart
- For 1/2-inch-thick boneless pork chops: 7-9 minutes
- For 1-inch-thick boneless pork chops: 11-13 minutes
- For 1/2-inch-thick bone-in pork chops: 9-11 minutes
- For 1-inch-thick bone-in pork chops: 13-15 minutes
On average, air fryer bone-in pork chops will take 1-2 minutes longer than boneless.
How to know when air fryer pork chops are done?
It’s tough to tell whether air fryer fried pork chops are done just by looking at them, which is why I highly recommend using a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
For the best air fryer pork chops that are both juicy and safe, they should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. As they rest, the temperature can still rise several degrees, so you may want to remove them when your thermometer reads around 140-143 degrees F.
If you don’t have a thermometer, the time ranges above are a useful guide. However, the risk of over- or under-cooking is a bit higher.
Can you cook frozen pork chops in an air fryer?
Yes, you can. At 400 degrees F, frozen pork chops in the air fryer will take about 3-5 minutes longer than fresh.
To cook air fryer pork chops from frozen, cook for about 8 minutes, then flip, insert your probe thermometer, and continue cooking until they reach 145 degrees F.
(You can also use the time chart above, and add a few minutes.)
Tips For The Best Air Fryer Pork Chops
Whether you choose bone-in or boneless pork chops in the air fryer, follow these guidelines for juicier, more flavorful meat:
1. Bring meat to room temperature before cooking.
Just like almost any meat, this recipe for pork chops in the air fryer works best if you bring the chops to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Your meat will still cook safely, and the heat from the air fryer can penetrate more evenly.
2. Marinate the chops.
You can opt for salt and pepper if you’re short on time, but a pork chop marinade will make air fryer pork chops with bone (or without) much juicier.
3. Use a meat thermometer.
Without a thermometer, finding out your air fryer pork chops cooking time will become a guessing game — and your meat might not be cooked thoroughly enough. As mentioned above, a probe thermometer is the best kind to use.
Take 5 minutes to let your pork chops rest before slicing and serving. This way, they will retain their juices (a.k.a. flavor!).
You can store leftover pork chops in the fridge for 2-3 days, or freeze them for 2-3 months.
You can also reheat your pork chops in the air fryer! I prefer to set the temperature low, about 200 degrees F, and heat for about 10 minutes. But if you don’t have much time, just a few minutes at 400 degrees F will work just fine.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Pork Chops
Now that you know how to cook pork chops in air fryer, here are some ideas for what to serve with them:
- Potatoes – Roasted or mashed potatoes are a classic pairing, but I go for healthier swaps like fried radishes or cauliflower mash.
- Simple salads – Try kale crunch salad, creamy cucumber salad, or marinated artichoke salad.
- Roasted vegetables – While your chops cook in the air fryer, use your oven to roast zucchini, eggplant, or broccoli (pictured above).
Tools To Make Air Fryer Pork Chop Recipes
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Air Fryer – This one is my go-to basket-style air fryer, shown in the photos, as it cooks very evenly and is so versatile. When I want to make pork chops in the air fryer for a larger crowd, I take this air fryer oven from my basement, as it can hold several rows of racks — so convenient!
- Probe Thermometer – This one beeps when your meat reaches the correct temperature. It’s a must for pork chops, and for steaks like sirloin and New York strip, too. Never overcook again!
How To Cook Pork Chops In The Air Fryer
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Air Fryer Pork Chops Recipe
An EASY, bone-in or boneless air fryer pork chops recipe, ready in 20 minutes! Learn how to cook pork chops in the air fryer so they stay juicy.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Prepare the pork chop marinade according to the instructions here. Marinate the pork chops for 1-12 hours (but not longer). (Alternatively, you can simply season generously with salt and pepper and skip the marinade, but the marinade makes them so juicy!)
Remove the chops from the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking.
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) for 5 minutes.
Place pork chops into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for about 12 minutes for 1"-thick pork chops, flipping halfway through, until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Add an extra minute for bone-in pork chops, or see the blog post for complete time chart.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 pork chop
Only 1/4 of the marinade is included in the nutrition calculation, as a lot is discarded after marinating the pork chops.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂