FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Flavorful, comforting, majorly satisfying… are just a few of the ways you might describe this oven baked smothered pork chops recipe! It’s that good, whether you love pork or you’re venturing outside your comfort zone. I’ll show you how easy it is to make baked pork chops that end up juicy and perfectly cooked. No more dry pork! I have to admit, I’m not always the biggest pork fan (bacon recipes don’t count! ;)), but readers have been asking me for more pork recipes, and these smothered pork chops in the oven might just turn me into a fan!
These keto smothered pork chops with onion gravy are super easy to make – you’ll brown the pork, make the gravy, and then cook everything together to perfection. I can’t wait for you to try these!
What Are Smothered Pork Chops?
This recipe for baked pork chops smothers them in a delicious, creamy onion gravy.
We combine an easy cooking method (it’s all done in one pot!) to brown pork chops, make an easy gravy, and then cook everything all together. It’s an easy, satisfying, and oh-so-delicious dinner.
Traditionally, smothered pork chops refers to cooking them with liquid in a pan over low heat, but I sped up the process (and made it more hands-off) by making the gravy and browning on the stove top, then finishing in the oven.
How To Make Smothered Pork Chops In The Oven
Let me show you how to make smothered baked pork chops, step by step:
- Season the pork. Sprinkle pork with sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper.
- Brown pork. In a dutch oven, sear pork chops on both sides, without moving, until browned. Set them aside on a plate.
TIP: We are just browning them in this step, so they don’t need to be cooked through.
- Caramelize onions. In the same dutch oven (no need to clean!), saute the onions until caramelized. (See the full guide to the best caramelized onions here.)
- Make onion gravy. Add in the garlic and thyme, and saute until fragrant. Add the chicken broth and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, simmer to thicken, and remove from heat. Stir in cream cheese until it melts into the sauce.
- Cook pork chops in oven. Return the pork chops to the dutch oven and spoon the sauce and onions over them. Cover with the lid and bake until cooked through.
How Long to Bake Pork Chops?
The cooking time for this easy smothered pork chops recipe will take about 20-25 minutes, but the time will vary slightly depending on the thickness of your pork chops. Use a thermometer and cook to 145 degrees F for best results.
Should You Cover Pork Chops In The Oven?
For this recipe, yes. Whether you should cover oven baked pork chops will depend on the recipe, but you definitely want to cover them when making smothered pork chops.
Are You Supposed To Flip Pork Chops In The Oven?
No, you don’t need to flip pork chops in the oven. You do flip them when searing on the stovetop beforehand.
Why Are My Pork Chops Tough?
It’s extremely unlikely that this smothered pork chops recipe will be tough. Smothering them in onion gravy does an amazing job at locking in moisture!
That being said, the most common reason for tough pork chops is overcooking them. Since they are so lean, they cook pretty fast and even a few extra minutes can make them tough. Be sure to use a thermometer to check for doneness, and start checking at the lower end of the oven time range.
How To Store Baked Smothered Pork Chops
If you have leftover oven baked pork chops, store them in the fridge after cooling, together with the the onion gravy.
When ready to eat, reheat your keto smothered pork chops in the microwave or in a skillet, just until hot.
Can You Freeze Baked Pork Chops?
Yes, you can also freeze this easy baked smothered pork chop recipe! Simply store the pork chops and gravy in a freezer container for 2-3 months.
When you’re ready to reheat the smothered pork chops recipe, let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave or a skillet, just until hot.
What To Serve With Smothered Pork Chops
These I’ve got plenty of keto low carb side dishes to serve alongside these smothered pork chops with onion gravy. Here are a few favorites to try with this recipe:
- Fried Radishes – If you like the flavor and texture of roasted potatoes but don’t want the carbs…these radishes are a great substitute.
- Keto Mashed Cauliflower – The creamiest, dreamiest, BEST mashed cauliflower around. It’s the perfect side for my smothered pork chops recipe and is pictured above.
- Roasted Asparagus – This is a great light side dish option and because it’s seasoned simply, the bright flavors work well with the smothered pork chops in the oven.
- Oven Roasted Vegetables – These vegetables will go with anything, baked pork chop recipes included. It’s a great recipe to prep ahead, too!
Tools To Make Smothered Pork Chops:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven – It’s a show-stopper of a dutch oven, that’s for sure! But it’s more than just good-looking, it’s heavy bottom helps brown the pork chops, cook the gravy, and cook the smothered pork chops in the oven. Can’t beat the convenience of making this entire dish in one pan.
- Instant Read Thermometer – This instant thermometer is the easiest way to ensure that you cook your keto smothered pork chops in the oven perfectly each and every time.
- Stainless Steel Steak Knife Set – These knives are an excellent value for the quality. They’ll easily slice through your pork chops.
Baked Smothered Pork Chops Recipe With Onion Gravy:
Pin it to save for later!
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Baked Smothered Pork Chops Recipe With Onion Gravy
A flavorful, easy baked smothered pork chops recipe with onion gravy! See how to make the juiciest smothered pork chops in the oven, with just 7 ingredients.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get The Easy Keto Meal Plan App
Delicious custom keto meal plans to make keto easy... PLUS ad-free website access, dedicated keto support, free keto ebooks, and more!GET THE KETO APP
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Season the pork chops on both sides with sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper.
Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops and sear on both sides, about 3 minutes per side without moving, until browned. Transfer the pork chops to a plate and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium-low or medium. Using the same dutch oven, saute the sliced onions for 15-20 minutes, until caramelized.
Once the onions are caramelized, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Add the minced garlic and thyme leaves to the dutch oven. Saute for about a minute, until fragrant.
Add the chicken broth to the dutch oven. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a gentle boil, then simmer for about 2-3 minutes, until it gets thicker and the volume is reduced by at least 1/4.
Remove from heat. Add the cream cheese. Stir in the cream cheese until it melts into the sauce.
Return the pork chops to the dutch oven and spoon the sauce and onions over them. Cover with the lid and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through. (Time will vary depending on the thickness of your pork chops - use a thermometer to check and cook to 145 degrees F (63 degrees C).)
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 pork chop with gravy*
*Nutrition info is for large, 8-ounce pork chops. Depending on what you're serving them with, it may make sense to cut the serving size in half to 4 ounces instead.
Video Showing How To Make Smothered Pork Chops:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Smothered Pork Chops!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT COPY/PASTE recipe instructions to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂