This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
If you’ve never had crispy pork belly, you are in for a treat! It’s different than bacon, but if you love bacon… I think you’ll love this pork belly recipe. It’s incredibly simple to make and lets the flavors shine. Read on to learn how to cook pork belly in the oven, it’s the easiest way to do it!
We have lots of pork recipes here at Wholesome Yum, but not gonna lie – many of them are featuring bacon. If you love pork but are looking to go beyond bacon, try homemade pork rinds, slow cooker pork loin, rosemary garlic pork tenderloin, smothered pork chops, or for the easiest option, pan seared pork chops.
What Is Pork Belly?
Pork belly is a boneless, fatty cut of meat that comes from the belly of the pig. In particular, it’s popular in Chinese, Hispanic, Danish, Norwegian, Korean, Thai, and Filipino cuisine [*].
Is pork belly bacon?
Pork belly and bacon are from the same cut of meat, but there is one big difference. Pork belly is not cured and typically not sliced; bacon is smoked, cured, and sliced.
What does pork belly taste like?
Pork belly is salty, rich, meaty, and melts in your mouth, with a crispy skin on top (the skin is essentially the same as pork rinds!). It’s not as smoky as bacon is, so it does taste different than bacon.
Where can I buy pork belly?
Pork belly isn’t always available at every grocery store, but it’s easy to find at a butcher shop or speciality store that has a wide variety of meats. It’s also common at Asian markets.
TIP: Look for pork belly that is uniform in thickness. This will help it cook evenly.
Is pork belly healthy?
How To Season Pork Belly
While you can go in many different directions for seasoning pork belly, we’re keeping it really basic with this simple pork belly.
The only thing you really need to season pork belly is salt and pepper!
Of course, feel free to branch out. These seasonings are also delicious and common in pork belly recipes:
- Garlic powder
- Brown sugar (or Besti Brown for a sugar-free version!)
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Chinese five spice – One of the most popular options
- Cajun seasoning – Separately from the above
How To Cook Pork Belly In The Oven
- Score. Use a knife to make a crisscross pattern across the skin of the pork belly.
- Season. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (If you want additional seasonings from the list of ideas above, sprinkle generously at this step.)
- Roast. Roast pork belly in a baking dish, skin side up. Increase heat and bake again. Finally, place under the broiler to crisp up the skin.
- Serve. Let pork belly rest before slicing into 1-inch slices to serve.
How To Cut Pork Belly
Cut pork belly into thin, 1-inch slices before serving, cutting against the grain.
You can make pork belly ahead, but it’s best served straight out of the oven (after resting, of course!) so that it’s hot and crispy.
How long will pork belly last?
You can store pork belly slices in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Can you freeze pork belly?
Yes, you can freeze pork belly. Of course you can freeze it raw, but you can also do so after roasting it. Slice and store in a freezer container for 2-3 months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Can pork belly be reheated?
Yes. For crispy pork belly, reheat in a hot skillet, or in the oven at 400 degrees F.
What To Serve With Pork Belly
Now that it’s cooked and ready to eat, are you wondering what to do with pork belly? You have so many options! You can serve it as a breakfast meat, like bacon, or as a main protein dish.
- Veggie Sides – Veggie sides like roasted asparagus, stir fry veggies, or sauteed zucchini all pair well with pork belly.
- Salad – Try creamy cucumber radish salad, Asian cabbage salad, or smashed cucumber salad.
- Bread – Serve the pork belly stuffed into keto dinner rolls or almond flour bread with a drizzle of sugar-free bbq sauce for any easy sandwich.
- Breakfast Items – Breakfast recipes like crustless quiche, egg muffin cups, or hard boiled eggs all pair well with this crispy pork belly recipe.
Tools To Make Crispy Pork Belly
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Basting Brush – Use this for everything from meats and bbq to baked goods.
- Baking Dish – You’ll find yourself using this baking dish ALL the time. It’s functional and beautiful.
How To Cook Pork Belly
How To Cook Pork Belly (Crispy Pork Belly Recipe)
An EASY to tutorial for how to how to cook pork belly in the oven! This crispy pork belly recipe is rich and flavorful, yet simple, with just 5 minutes prep time.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C).
Using a knife, score the skin of the pork belly.
Use a silicone basting brush to brush the avocado oil over the top of the pork belly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place the pork belly into a stoneware baking dish, skin side up, and bake for 1 hour.
Increase oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C) and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
Change oven to broil and broil the pork belly on high for 5 minutes.
Allow the pork belly to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into 1-inch slices.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 slice, or 1/12 entire recipe
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂