FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- Why Oven Baked Bacon?
- The Trick To Cooking Bacon in the Oven
- How To Cook Bacon In The Oven
- How Long Do You Cook Bacon in the Oven?
- Does Bacon Splatter In The Oven?
- What To Do With Bacon Grease?
- Ways To Use Baked Bacon In Recipes
- Tools To Make Bacon In The Oven
- How To Cook Bacon in the Oven (Crispy & Easy Way!)
If you want to learn how to cook bacon in the oven, I’m excited to show you how easy it is to make perfect oven baked bacon that comes out crispy every time – and why you’ll never want to do it any other way again. In fact, I’ve been baking bacon this way for years!
The trick I use came to me when making bacon wrapped asparagus, and I’ve used it when wrapping other things too, like bacon wrapped brussels sprouts and green bean bundles. The same concept works for baking bacon all by itself, too – that’s what I’m showing you today. (Get more recipe ideas with bacon here!)
Read on to learn my method for cooking super crispy bacon in the oven, and why it’s the best way to cook bacon…
Why Oven Baked Bacon?
Why should you learn how to make bacon in the oven? Here are the main advantages of doing it this way as opposed to frying:
- It’s quick and easy. If you can arrange bacon on a rack and turn on your oven, well… you’ve just learned how to bake bacon in the oven! 😉
- You can make more at once. Baking bacon in the oven is pretty much
- It’s the best way to cook bacon evenly. No soggy pieces, yay! If you want crispy bacon, this is the way to get it.
- It’s hands off. Pop the pan into the oven and go do something else. Much better than standing at the stove waiting for it to cook!
- No splattering. It just won’t happen with oven baked bacon.
The Trick To Cooking Bacon in the Oven
If you want to know how to cook crispy bacon in oven, the main trick is to use an oven-safe rack.
What is a bacon rack for the oven, you ask? It’s simply an oven safe cooling rack, the same as what you’d use for cooling cookies.
The rack is the #1 key to baking bacon perfectly, because it lets the fat drip down. Even if you are on a keto diet where fat is a good thing, you want the fat away from the bacon in this case because that gets it CRISPY!
How To Cook Bacon In The Oven
You have your pan with a rack. Now, how to bake bacon in the oven with it?
- Preheat your oven first. I like to cook oven baked bacon at 400 degrees.
- Arrange bacon. Place the rack over the pan, and arrange the bacon on the rack in a single layer:
Tip: For the crispiest oven baked bacon, make sure the bacon pieces are not overlapping! But, they will shrimp a little while cooking, so a tiny bit is okay.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake. It’s done when it’s crispy to your liking. Yep, the method for how to make crispy bacon in the oven really is that easy!
The only question left to answer is, how long to bake bacon in the oven?
How Long Do You Cook Bacon in the Oven?
How long to cook bacon in the oven depends on the oven temperature, and on the thickness of the bacon.
Thick bacon in the oven will take longer than thinner slices. And, a lower temperature will take longer than a higher one.
What temp to cook bacon in the oven?
What temperature do you cook bacon in the oven? The main choices are 350, 375, 400 or 425 degrees Fahrenheit (177, 190, 204, and 218 degrees Celcius).
I highly recommend cooking bacon in the oven is 400 degrees F! It’s a bit faster than lower temperatures, plus the bacon gets more crispy. Any higher and you tend to risk burning the edges.
When choosing the temperature for baking bacon, also consider how uniform the thickness of your bacon is. If the slices are all fairly similar, a high temperature works best and you get the advantage of maximum crispness. On the other hand, if some slices are thicker than others, stick with a lower temperature.
I’ll give you the time estimates for each temperature to make it easy! 🙂
How long to cook bacon in the oven at 350 F?
Bake bacon for 22 to 27 minutes at 350 F.
How long to cook bacon in the oven at 375 F?
Bake bacon for 20 to 25 minutes at 375 F.
How long to cook bacon in the oven at 400 F? (Recommended!)
Bake bacon for 18 to 23 minutes at 400 F.
(This is the temperature I recommend!)
How long to cook bacon in the oven at 425 F?
Bake bacon for 15 to 20 minutes 425 F.
Does Bacon Splatter In The Oven?
No, bacon does not splatter in the oven! The oven cooks much more evenly than a pan, which means sizzling bacon instead of a splattering mess. Yay!
What To Do With Bacon Grease?
A bonus advantage of cooking bacon in the oven on a rack is that the bacon grease drips down and is super easy to reserve.
To save the bacon grease:
Simply tilt the pan over a container, so that the bacon grease collects at the corner and drips down into the container. Make sure to do this while the pan is still hot, so that the bacon grease doesn’t solidify. Just use an oven mit to hold the pan.
How to store the bacon grease:
You can store the bacon grease on the counter, but I prefer the fridge to be safe. It will solidify as it cools.
What to do with the grease:
You can use bacon grease in most savory applications in place of butter or oil. My favorite ways include frying eggs or stir fry vegetables! (Both also happen to be delicious with your crispy oven baked bacon added to them, too.)
Ways To Use Baked Bacon In Recipes
One of the advantages of making bacon in the oven is you can make a big batch, which means you can use it in lots of different ways! Here are some serving ideas, as well as classic recipes for bacon lovers that can take advantage of your big batch:
- Breakfast – Obviously, this is probably the most popular! Just serve it on the side with pancakes, a fried egg, or the perfect omelette. Recipes for quiche or fritattas also typically call for cooked bacon.
- Casseroles – Bacon makes almost any casserole better. Popular ones include chicken bacon ranch casserole or cheesy brussels sprout casserole.
- Soups – While you can saute the bacon before adding the liquid, adding it pre-cooked is even more convenient if you have some. My fave is bacon cheeseburger soup, but I’ve seen many readers add it to broccoli cheese soup as well.
- Salads – Cooking bacon in the oven is particularly convenient for salads, since you’re not usually cooking other parts of the dish, and can do it ahead. It’s a classic on a cobb salad or wedge salad.
- Appetizers – This perfect baked bacon recipe is excellent to use as part of an appetizer, like bacon caprese skewers or bacon deviled eggs.
- Stir Fry – Add bacon to crispy fried brussels sprouts, Southern fried cabbage, or even rice or cauliflower rice.
Tools To Make Bacon In The Oven
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Bacon rack for oven – This pan comes with an oven safe rack to put on top. They have large and small versions!
How To Cook Bacon in the Oven (The Best Way!):
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
How To Cook Bacon in the Oven (Crispy & Easy Way!)
The BEST method for how to cook bacon in the oven! It's super quick (20 minutes) and EASY. Plus, this trick for oven baked bacon makes it SUPER CRISPY!
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Line an extra-large baking sheet (at least 14 x 20) with foil for easy cleanup. Place an oven-safe cookie rack of the same size on top of the baking sheet. (Get the perfect pan + rack here!)
Arrange the bacon slices in a single layer on the rack.
Bake for 18 to 22 minutes on the middle rack, until the bacon is done to your liking. The time will vary depending on the thickness of the bacon.
After baking bacon in the oven, pat any excess grease to help it get crisp. Allow it to cool for a few minutes to get more crispy.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 slice, cooked
Video Showing How To Make Bacon in the Oven:
Scroll up a bit to see the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Bacon in the Oven!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Shop Wholesome Yum Keto Ingredients
Find more Wholesome Yum ingredients for your recipes on Amazon!