FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Let me show you how to cook bacon in the microwave so that it gets nice and crispy! Oven baked bacon is great, but if you’re short on time, you’ve got to give microwave bacon a try. I promise, it really works!
One of the keys to the best microwave bacon recipe is using high-quality bacon, which is why we’re using my favorite, Garrett Valley Farms Sugar Free Dry Rubbed Bacon. Incredible smoky flavor, and no sugar! It’s my favorite.
Can You Cook Bacon In The Microwave?
Yes, you can cook bacon in the microwave. I know it sounds like it couldn’t possibly get nice and crispy, but it does.
Why You’ll Love This Microwave Bacon Recipe
- Gets super crispy
- Takes just a few minutes
- No special equipment
- No pans to wash
- Great for small batches
How To Cook Bacon In The Microwave
This section shows the best way to make bacon in the microwave, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Arrange. Line a large plate with 3 layers of paper towels. This is important for getting the bacon crispy! Place slices of bacon in a single layer, so they aren’t overlapping. Top the bacon with 3 more layers of paper towels.
- Microwave. The cooking time will vary slightly, depending on how thick the slices are. See below for specific times.
Microwave Bacon Time Chart
How long to microwave bacon? The time will vary depending on your microwave power and the thickness of your bacon, but below is an approximate time chart for a 1000W microwave.
|Bacon Thickness||Time Per Slice||Minutes For 6 Slices|
|Average||60 seconds||5-6 minutes|
|Thin||40 seconds||3-5 minutes|
|Thick Cut||80 seconds||7-9 minutes|
Tips For The Best Microwave Bacon
- Use uniform bacon slices. This ensures they cook at the same rate.
- Rotate if necessary. If your microwave doesn’t have a turntable, rotate the plate a few times during the cooking process.
- Check the bacon in the microwave occasionally. Start checking on your bacon about 1 minute before the estimated time, then add more time in 30-60 second increments until it’s done to your liking.
- Let the bacon rest. Like most methods, microwaved bacon will crisp up more as it cools from hot to warm. Uncover and let it rest on the plate for a couple of minutes after it’s done, to crisp up more.
- You can microwave bacon in layers to make more. If you want to microwave more than 6 slices of bacon, you can create additional layers. Simply arrange more slices of bacon over the top layer of paper towels, then top with more paper towels. Just make sure you have 3 layers of paper towels on the top and bottom, and between the layers of bacon.
TIP: It’s best to cook a MAXIMUM of 3 layers of bacon in the microwave. More than that, and it will start to cook unevenly. Also keep in mind that you will need to increase the cook time as you add more layers.
FAQs About Microwaving Bacon
Have more questions? Here’s everything you need to know! Ask in the comments below if you have another question I didn’t answer.
Will I get crispy bacon in the microwave?
Yes, you can get crispy bacon in the microwave. Follow the tips above to ensure they end up crispy instead of soggy.
Can you microwave frozen bacon?
Microwaving frozen bacon is not recommended as it won’t cook evenly.
Can you defrost bacon in the microwave?
Yes, you can remove the frozen bacon from the package and thaw in the microwave first on the defrost setting, and then cook it. Don’t try to cook it right from frozen.
Can you microwave turkey bacon?
Yes, you can microwave turkey bacon the same way. The cooking time might be slightly less as it’s leaner, so check it frequently.
Can you reheat bacon in the microwave?
Yes, simply reheat the bacon between a few layers of paper towels to get it crispy again.
Ways To Use Bacon
Besides the obvious use — eating! — here some other ways to enjoy bacon:
- Breakfast – Enjoy it with eggs or pancakes.
- Appetizers – Add it to appetizer recipes like deviled eggs with bacon, bacon cream cheese jalapeno poppers, and Caprese salad skewers.
- Entrees – Make main recipes like bacon cheeseburger soup, bacon ranch chicken, and pizza bowls.
- Sides – Try Southern fried cabbage, kale and brussels sprouts salad, and cabbage steaks.
Easy Microwave Bacon Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
How To Microwave Bacon
Learn how to cook bacon in the microwave — that actually gets CRISPY! Use this foolproof method and tips for crispy microwave bacon that's ready in minutes.
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Line a large plate (at least the same diameter as the bacon length) with 3 layers of paper towels.
Arrange the bacon in a single layer on the paper towels, without overlapping. Top the bacon with 3 more layers of paper towels.
Microwave on High for 5-6 minutes for average thickness bacon, 3-5 minutes for thinner pieces, or 7-9 minutes for thick cut, until done to your liking. (Start checking at the lower end of the time ranges or even a minute before.)
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 bacon slice
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂