This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This low carb keto broccoli salad with bacon is the perfect salad to make ahead or take to parties! It’s one of my favorites in the summer months while it’s hot, but it’s also great for potlucks, meal prep, or weeknight meals all year long. It comes together quickly and can be made ahead… because it gets even better with time! But beyond the convenience, this hearty broccoli bacon salad also has incredible flavor.
What Is Broccoli Bacon Salad?
Broccoli salad with bacon and cheese is a heartier alternative to leafy green salads. You make it by combining chopped broccoli with crisp additions like red onion, sunflower seeds, and bacon, then tossing it all together in a creamy homemade dressing. Unlike typical green salads, this one is also easy to make ahead because it won’t wilt in the fridge.
Some traditional broccoli salad recipes include high-carb ingredients like raisins or dried cranberries, but we’re keeping it just as flavorful without them! (You can add sugar-free dried cranberries if you like, though, like I do for broccoli cranberry salad.)
Why You’ll Love This Keto Broccoli Salad Recipe
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for broccoli and bacon salad, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
Broccoli Salad With Bacon:
- Fresh Broccoli Florets – Chop them yourself from a fresh head of broccoli, or buy the bagged kind for convenience. Make sure the pieces are small enough for individual bite sized pieces. If you don’t have enough broccoli on hand, you could also make a broccoli cauliflower salad.
- Red Onion – Adds crunch and light sweetness. You can substitute white or yellow onion if needed, but red has more flavor for this dish.
- Crumbled Bacon – Broccoli salad with bacon is the best kind! You can get pre-cooked bacon bits, or make your own bacon in the oven, air fryer bacon, or microwave bacon, and chop it up.
- Cheddar Cheese – Shred it fresh off the block, cut into small cubes for a different texture, or get pre-shredded cheese to save time. For a dairy-free or paleo variation, you can substitute shredded carrots (keep in mind the carb count will be higher).
- Sunflower Seeds – Use shelled seeds, either raw or roasted depending on your preference. If you tolerate nuts, you can also substitute chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds, or really any keto nuts you like.
- Avocado – Adds extra healthy fats, which is great for a keto broccoli salad! Make sure your avocado is ripe and soft.
- Mayonnaise – I like to use homemade avocado oil mayo, but any kind you prefer will work. You can also lighten it up by replacing some of the mayo with sour cream. If you want extra creamy dressing, increase the mayo amount to 1 cup.
- Olive Oil – Use extra virgin olive oil for flavor, or any neutral oil you like, such as avocado oil.
- White Vinegar – Makes the dressing a little tangy. Apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar will also work.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – Makes the dressing lightly sweet with 0g net carbs, and dissolves to be completely smooth. You can also use powdered erythritol or a different sugar substitute, as long as it is powdered. Honey is also a good option if you don’t need the salad to be sugar-free (or use keto honey instead!). Technically you could also omit the sweetener altogether, but I think the best broccoli salad recipes have a little sweetness in the dressing.
- Seasonings – Including black pepper (optional) and garlic salt.
How To Make Broccoli Salad With Bacon
This section shows how to make keto broccoli salad with bacon, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Mix salad. In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients.
- Whisk dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the broccoli bacon salad dressing ingredients.
TIP: Want softer broccoli?
If you prefer softer or crisp-tender broccoli rather than the raw broccoli in this recipe, you can blanch it first (cook briefly in boiling water) and let it cool before making broccoli salad.
- Combine. Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Finish. Fold in avocado just before serving.
The best part about this keto broccoli salad recipe with bacon? You can make it ahead! Simply store leftovers covered in the refrigerator (without the avocado, if possible).
How Long Does Broccoli Salad Last?
When stored in an airtight container in the fridge, a broccoli bacon salad recipe will keep for up to 7 days. The avocado will brown by that point, so wait to add the avocado until just before you plan to serve it.
Can You Freeze Broccoli Salad?
No, avoid freezing broccoli salad recipes, as the dressing will separate and the textures will change too much.
What To Serve With Broccoli Salad
- Grilled Meats & Seafood – Pair low carb broccoli salad with grilled shrimp skewers, grilled steak, bruschetta chicken, or other healthy grilling recipes.
- Burgers – Try this salad with traditional juicy burgers or keto turkey burgers.
- Sandwiches – Plate this bacon broccoli salad recipe with a keto BLT, keto grilled cheese, or chicken bacon ranch wraps for a simple lunch.
- Easy Mains – Like pan seared pork chops, air fryer chicken legs, or bacon wrapped hot dogs.
More Healthy Low Carb Salad Recipes To Make Ahead
Love the easy prep in this keto broccoli salad with bacon? You’ll like these other make-ahead salads as well. (Try more low carb salads here!)
Keto Bacon Broccoli Salad Recipe
Keto Broccoli Salad With Bacon (Creamy, Easy, Healthy!)
Broccoli bacon salad bursts with flavor and crunch! This keto broccoli salad with bacon, cheese, and creamy dressing takes just 10 minutes.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Broccoli Salad Dressing:
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, red onion, bacon bits, sunflower seeds, and cheddar cheese.
In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, olive oil, white vinegar, garlic salt, powdered Besti, and pepper, until smooth. Stir the dressing into the vegetable mixture until well incorporated.
Fold in the avocado right before serving.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂