This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Since it literally takes 5 minutes to make, this keto coleslaw recipe is my go-to for so many occasions, whether I’m at home or not. The sugar-free coleslaw dressing makes it hard to beat. A quick side to accompany a weeknight dinner? Definitely. A way to sneak in veggies that the kids will eat? Yep. A crowd pleasing addition to a get-together? Keto slaw will do it. A work week staple to prep over the weekend? Totally. A perfect solution when you’ve spent all day dealing with a house project and suddenly realize you have nothing to serve with your chicken for dinner? Yeah, that’s how this super simple, paleo low carb coleslaw recipe came about.
After a day-long fiasco of attempting to paint closet doors followed by a panic about unexpected fumes in the house in the middle of frigid January (smart, right?), dinner consisted of chicken from the freezer and this creamy keto coleslaw. At least it’s a funny story to look back on. 😉
Keto coleslaw dressing does develop its flavors after some time just like broccoli slaw, and tastes best if you make it in advance – or at least let it chill for an hour – so a little planning ahead is smart. And fortunately, this sugar-free coleslaw keeps very well – even for multiple days – so it’s a great option to make ahead or even meal prep. And, it needs just 5 ingredients and is ready in 5 minutes, so it works for any type of meal.
This keto slaw recipe was originally published on January 30, 2017, and was republished in April 2020 to add better photos, useful tips and answer common questions. In case you’re curious, the original photo looked like this:
What Is Coleslaw?
Traditional coleslaw is a simple shredded cabbage salad with a sweet dressing, which can be either mayo-based (more common) or sometimes a vinaigrette.
Is Coleslaw Keto Friendly?
Since coleslaw recipes almost always use a sweet dressing with added sugar, they are not keto friendly. However, this sugar free coleslaw recipe is keto-friendly!
How To Sweeten Keto Slaw?
Making keto slaw is similar to regular coleslaw – you just need a sugar-free sweetener for the keto coleslaw dressing. It’s important to use a powdered sweetener for the sugar-free coleslaw dressing, so that it’s smooth, because a granulated one can be gritty.
How To Make Keto Coleslaw
This paleo coleslaw comes together in just 5 minutes! It’s one of the reasons I love keto recipes using coleslaw mix – it makes getting veggies in so easy.
- Make low carb keto coleslaw dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, powdered Besti, and celery seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
TIP: Apple cider vinegar makes this a paleo coleslaw recipe. If that doesn’t matter to you, white vinegar works just fine for keto as well. Paleo-friendly sweeteners such as honey or coconut sugar work fine, but would not be low carb.
- Combine sugar-free coleslaw. Place shredded cabbage in a large bowl and toss with sugar-free coleslaw dressing.
- Chill keto slaw. If you have time, refrigerate the coleslaw for at least an hour or overnight to let the flavors develop. Stir before serving. I like to add a sprinkle of green onions, too.
How Many Carbs In Coleslaw?
Carbs in coleslaw can vary depending on the recipe used and how much sugar is added. It’s not unusual for coleslaw at the deli counter to have 13g net carbs and 12g sugar in just 1/2 a cup [*]!
Keto coleslaw has a lot less sugar and carbs. Each serving of this low carb paleo coleslaw recipe has just 2 grams net carbs (that’s total carbs minus fiber and Besti, the sweetener used). And, that’s a serving size of 3/4 cup.
TIP: I used a bag of coleslaw mix to save time, plus I love a splash of color. But if you want to lower the carbs just a tad more, use plain shredded cabbage instead of am mix that has carrot pieces.
Can You Make Low Carb Coleslaw Ahead?
Yes, you can prep components of this keto slaw ahead of time. Shred the cabbage (if making it yourself) and mix together the keto friendly coleslaw dressing. Store in separate containers in the refrigerator. An hour or the night before serving, toss cabbage and homemade sugar free coleslaw dressing together and let chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Even if you’re in a pinch and realize you have no side dish for dinner, you can make it work. Just throw together this low carb coleslaw before preparing your main dish. Stick it in the fridge and it should be good enough by the time the rest of your dinner is ready.
How To Store Sugar-Free Coleslaw
Store this prepared low carb coleslaw recipe in the fridge for 3-5 days. If you store the cabbage and keto coleslaw salad dressing separately, the components will last much longer, up to a week or more.
What To Serve With Keto Slaw
This sugar-free coleslaw makes a great side to so many keto dinners. Try it with some of these meals for a complete meal:
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken – The best flavors of jalapeno poppers stuffed into slices of chicken! It’s as good as it sounds.
- Coconut Chicken Tenders – Chicken tenders get some tropical flavors. Try dipping them in your favorite sugar-free bbq sauce or hot sauce.
- Crispy Chicken Legs – Serve with cornbread and sugar-free coleslaw for a classic southern meal.
- Best Juicy Burgers – The perfect summer grilling meal! But there’s an option for the stove top, too.
If you want a keto slaw without mayo, try this one instead.
Tools To Make Keto Paleo Coleslaw
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Food Processor – If you’re not buying pre-shredded slaw mix, a food processor makes it effortless to shred your own. This is the one I use and love.
- Glass Bowl Set – This glass bowl set is a staple for my kitchen, I use them all the time, keto slaw included!
- Glass Storage Containers – Store paleo coleslaw with mayo in these glass containers after you combine the dressing and cabbage.
Low Carb Keto Coleslaw Recipe
Keto Coleslaw (5 Ingredients, Low Carb!)
Make the BEST low carb keto coleslaw recipe, with a creamy sugar-free dressing. Just 5 ingredients, 5 minutes, and 2g net carbs!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Place the shredded coleslaw mix into a large bowl. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, powdered Besti, and celery seed. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stir the dressing into the shredded coleslaw mix and toss to coat.
- If you have time, refrigerate the coleslaw for at least an hour (or overnight) to let the flavors develop. Stir again before serving. Serve chilled.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂