FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Golden and crispy on the outside, soft and flavorful inside, with generous lumps of crab dispersed throughout… these keto crab cakes are SO good. And there’s no need to be intimidated by low carb crab recipes, I promise these gluten-free crab cakes are easy to make! Just 10 ingredients and you’ve got low carb crab cakes that make a fantastic appetizer OR quick and light dinner.
So obviously there’s a lot to love about these paleo crab cakes, but one more thing! They are supportive of all kinds of food allergies. They are keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, and have a nut-free alternative – all without sacrificing flavor or texture. They look and taste just like restaurant crab cakes, without all the negative aspects. So everyone will gobble them up, no matter what their dietary needs are. I love that!
Sometimes I wish I could find gluten-free crab cakes without weird fillers even when I go out to eat… but it seems like they’re often more breadcrumbs than crab. No, thanks! I’ll keep searching, but until then, I’m completely happy to make my own. I think you’ll agree. 🙂
How To Make Keto Crab Cakes
This gluten free crab cake recipe is so crazy easy. Just a few simple steps and you’ll be eating rich and buttery paleo crab cakes. You just mix most of the ingredients together, fold in the sauteed onions and lump crab meat, form patties, and fry them up… voila! Because crab cake seasoning tends to be a complex combination of many spices, I used Old Bay seasoning to save time.
- Saute aromatics. Lightly saute some diced onion until translucent and lightly browned.
- Mix together gluten-free crab cakes base. Stir together almond flour, egg white, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, dried parsley, old bay seasoning, and olive oil.
- Mix together the low carb crab cakes. Stir in the sauteed onions into the almond flour mixture. When it’s combined, gently fold in the crab meat.
TIP: Don’t over mix. We want to incorporate the crab without smashing it in and breaking up the lumps of crab.
- Make patties. With your hands, form 8 patties and place onto a lined baking sheet.
TIP: If possible, refrigerate before cooking. This step will help the keto crab cakes stay together when you cook them.
- Cook the gluten free crab cakes. Fry crab cakes on a skillet over medium heat, in two batches of four, for about 3-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
And now you know how to make keto crab cakes! Serve them up with some keto appetizer dipping sauce and lemon wedges.
How Many Carbs In Crab Cakes?
These low carb crab cakes have just 1.6 grams net carbs each! YESSSS!
Many packaged crab cakes have closer to 6-10 grams carbs in just one crab cake, which often isn’t enough for a whole meal, so you’re eating 2-3 times that if you have several as a main dish. The nutrition info on the recipe card below is per crab cake, but you can easily have 2-4 crab cakes for your main dish for dinner, and they’ll still be keto friendly.
And as for restaurants? Your guess is as good as mine. Flour or breadcrumbs are almost always used as a binder and filler, but the amount used will vary based on recipe and quality. Higher quality crab cakes will have more crab and less filler.
Are Crab Cakes Keto?
My keto crab cake recipe is definitely keto! With just 2 grams total carbs per crab cake, it fits well as an appetizer, salad topper, or main course.
And trust me, there is no bad time for keto crab recipes like this one. 😉
Is Imitation Crab Keto?
Imitation crab is not considered keto as it usually contains wheat flour AND sugar.
One serving of imitation crab has 11 grams carbs, for just 1/2 cup of crab, which is on the high side for such a small portion.
How To Store Gluten Free Crab Cakes
Store cooked crab cakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Gently reheat in a hot skillet, just until heated through.
You can also freeze this low carb crab recipe.
How To Freeze Paleo Crab Cakes
Freezing extra paleo crab cakes is such a great idea, in fact I like to double the batch just so I can freeze a batch. After you form them into patties, place them onto a lined baking dish and freeze until solid. Once they are frozen, wrap individually with plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag.
Thaw the gluten-free crab cakes overnight in the refrigerator and then pan fry according to instructions.
More Low Carb Crab Recipes
If you love this recipe for crab cakes, you might also enjoy some of these other low carb crab recipes:
- Easy Cold Crab Dip – A holiday staple at our house, this simple, but elevated dip is always a hit.
- Crab Stuffed Salmon – This one is as good as it sounds! Upgrade your salmon with this crab stuffing. Such a treat.
- Cajun Crab Stuffed Tomato Poppers – This adorable and portable appetizer is lightly seasoned with cajun flavors. It’s perfectly popable!
- Dairy-Free Alaska King Crab Bisque – Smooth and creamy, all while being dairy-free. This soup belongs on your holiday table!
Tools To Make Low Carb Crab Cakes
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Nonstick Ceramic Chef Pan – My favorite pans, the low carb crab cake recipe will slide right out!
- Nesting Glass Bowls – You’ll always have the right sized mixing bowl with this nesting set of 10.
- Silicone Cooking Utensils – Gentle folding is key in this keto crab cake recipe, and these silicone utensils are perfect for the job.
Gluten-Free Keto Crab Cakes Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Gluten-Free Keto Crab Cakes Recipe
This keto crab cakes recipe needs just 10 simple ingredients + 30 minutes! Paleo gluten-free crab cakes are full of rich flavor, without breadcrumbs or fillers. It'll be one of your favorite low carb crab recipes.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute chopped onion for about 10 minutes, until translucent and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients except the crab meat and remaining olive oil. When everything is well combined, add the sauteed onions, and finally fold in crab meat very gently. Try to avoid breaking up the lumps of crab meat.
Form 8 patties and place on a lined baking sheet or cutting board. If possible, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (this will help the crab cakes stay together when frying).
Fry crab cakes on a skillet over medium heat, in two batches of four. Use about two teaspoons of oil for each batch, and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side, until browned.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 crab cake
Video Showing How To Make Keto Crab Cakes:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Crab Cakes!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂