This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This easy homemade spicy mayo recipe is one of my favorite Asian condiments — you can use it in so many ways! The most common reason people make it is to have spicy mayo for sushi (I prefer my sushi without rice, but it’s great for regular, too). Don’t stop there, though… spicy mayonnaise is also delicious with poke bowls, stir fry, cauliflower rice, kani salad, sandwiches (I use keto bread), and many other things. Use it anywhere that needs a little spice!
You’ll want to learn how to make this spicy mayo at home ASAP, because you’re about to start putting it on everything. 😉
What Is Spicy Mayo?
Spicy mayo sauce is exactly what it sounds like — mayonnaise with a kick! Sometimes it’s called sriracha mayo, because that’s what makes it spicy.
Why You’ll Love This Spicy Mayo Recipe
- Creamy and spicy at the same time
- Ready in 5 minutes
- Just 2 basic ingredients (natural and gluten-free)
- Optional add-ins to make it your own
- Versatile for drizzling or as a dipping sauce
- Tastes like it came from your favorite Asian restaurant!
Spicy Mayo Ingredients
This section explains what’s in spicy mayo sauce, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Mayonnaise – Feel free to use your mayo of choice here. I like to make homemade mayonnaise, but this pre-made one is also one of my faves. If you want to lighten it up, you can swap some of the mayo with Greek yogurt or sour cream. For those with egg allergies, vegan mayo is fine to substitute.
- Sriracha – If you are really sensitive to spice, you could always start with less. It’s easy to add more later. Other types of hot sauce work, as well.
- Optional add-ins – Lime juice (or lemon juice), sesame oil, ginger, garlic powder, or cayenne pepper can be added for different flavor variations. Salt is typically not needed, since the mayo and sriracha both contain salt. If you like it a little sweet, you can add a few teaspoons of honey (or sugar-free honey substitute if needed).
CUSTOMIZE: Adjust the heat to your liking.
This spicy mayo sauce is semi-spicy. If you are super sensitive to spice, start with less (a couple tablespoons), and if you love spice, you might want to add more sriracha. However, be aware that the more sriracha you add, the thinner it will be.
How To Make Spicy Mayo
This section shows how to make spicy mayonnaise, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Mix spicy mayo base. In a small bowl, stir or whisk together mayo and sriracha, until smooth.
- Add in optional add-ins if desired. There are several things you can add for more flavor if you like, including lime juice, toasted sesame oil, ground ginger, and garlic powder. Add any or all of them!
- Store: This spicy mayo recipe is flavorful to enjoy right away, but you can also make a big batch for later. Store it in an airtight container, such as a mason jar, in the refrigerator. It will last about as long as your mayonnaise would on its own; the minimum is 7 to 10 days for homemade or a few weeks for store bought. However, since the sriracha we add is acidic, it might last a bit longer in the fridge than regular mayo would.
- Freeze: Avoid freezing spicy mayonnaise. Mayo-based sauces don’t freeze well and the texture will be ruined after thawing.
Ways To Use Spicy Mayonnaise
- Sushi – Homemade spicy mayo for sushi is a classic choice. You can also make keto sushi if you’re low carb, drizzle the sauce over poke bowls, or use it as a dressing for kani salad.
- Burgers – Spicy mayonnaise is a little similar to a burger sauce, and it’s delicious on any juicy burger or even a burger bowl.
- French Fries – Skip the ketchup and dip your fries (or air fryer sweet potatoes!) in spicy mayo instead. For healthier options beyond potatoes, try jicama fries, rutabaga fries, or even zucchini fries.
- Hibachi – Japanese spicy mayo works well with hibachi chicken, meats, and vegetables. Serve regular rice, or cauliflower fried rice (if the carbs in rice are too high for you), on the side.
- Glass Storage Containers – This 16-piece set comes in different sizes (1, 2, or 4 cups) and is the perfect container for storing spicy mayo sauce.
- Mini Squeeze Bottles – Another great storage option. No utensils needed and it’s how I make a fancy design on my ahi tuna poke bowls.
Spicy Mayo Recipe
Spicy Mayo Recipe
This creamy, spicy spicy mayo recipe takes just 5 minutes, with 2 simple ingredients. It tastes like it's from your favorite Asian restaurant!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Basic spicy mayo recipe:
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Stir together the mayo and sriracha. If desired, add any (or all) of the add-ins.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 tbsp
Nutrition info does not include optional ingredients.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
I loved this spicy mayo. I added lime juice and garlic powder in addition to the Sriracha and it tasted delicious! I’m going to keep a batch on hand all the time because it tastes great on everything!
I was just looking for a recipe for spicy mayo! My plan is to add to breaded chicken sandwiches. Thanks for the share!
By far the best spicy sauce recipe I’ve made in a long time, the family loved this with some chips whilst we were watching a movie 🙂
I love that I can make this flavored mayonnaise at home. It’s so delicious and so easy to make too!
YUM! My entire family are all spice heads. I made up this sriracha mayo and we all enjoyed it on burgers. Thanks for the great idea!
I tried this creamy spicy sriracha mayo and it really tasted like from he Asian restaurant. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This is such an easy recipe and super tasty as well! goes with so many other recipes!
I love this so much, I keep it in the refrigerator at all times! It’s amazing!
This will taste great so many things!! Loved it & it brought the perfect amount of spice!
I will never buy store bought again! I love this recipe so much.
This is great!! Love a little spice! I put this on everything!
Now i’m craving some sushi or hibachi. Nothing like that delicious orange sauce! Thanks for the recipe.
Oh my! There’s some serious flavor in this easy peasy sauce! I love Sriracha, and had to try this recipe. Now I’m putting it on everything!
Homemade is the best one and this looks creamy, rich and flavorful. Best as a Dip or spread too.
This looks amazing! I love the spicy taste, looking forward to trying this mayo!
I love how easy it is to make this sriracha mayo at home!! No more store bought for me!!
Mayo is one of my favorite condiments, so I’m SO glad to have found this spicy version!