Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
This air fryer asparagus recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make — it’s the fastest way to “roast” asparagus! Once you season the stalks, cooking asparagus in the air fryer is super quick, making it a great last-minute side dish to just about any healthy dinner. Oh, and did I mention you get the perfect crispness on the tips?
Ever since I got my air fryer, I’ve been making easy air fryer recipes a couple times a week! But if you want to make asparagus and don’t have an air fryer, you can make roasted asparagus, sauteed asparagus, or grilled asparagus, or bacon wrapped asparagus instead.
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
- Light and bright taste
- Tender asparagus stalks with crispy tips
- Incredibly easy to make
- Takes less than 10 minutes
- Naturally low carb, keto, vegan, and gluten-free
- A faster alternative to roasted asparagus in the oven
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for air fryer roasted asparagus, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Asparagus – Look for asparagus spears that are plump and firm, with closed tips. Cut or snap off the woody stems.
- Olive Oil – Helps the seasonings stick, adds flavor, and helps achieve the crispy tips. You can also use avocado oil.
- Lemon Juice – Use fresh lemon juice for the best flavor, or bottled for convenience.
- Spices – Garlic powder, sea salt & black pepper. Simple!
VARIATION: Add parmesan cheese!
Sprinkle the parmesan over the asparagus in the air fryer, right before cooking. If your asparagus is thicker and will take longer to cook, you can add it halfway through cooking instead, so the cheese doesn’t burn.
How To Cook Asparagus In The Air Fryer
This section shows step-by-step photos and details about cooking air fried asparagus. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Trim. Remove the tough, woody ends of the asparagus. You can learn more about ways to trim asparagus in my roasted asparagus post.
- Season. In a shallow baking dish (or a large bowl), drizzle asparagus with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.
TIP: Don’t forget to toss!
Moving the pieces around helps to fully coat and season each asparagus stalk.
- Air fry. Place the asparagus in the air fryer basket in a single layer, cooking in batches if necessary. Air fry until tender, browned, and crispy on the edges.
How Long To Cook Asparagus In The Air Fryer?
Cooking time for asparagus in the air fryer will vary based on size, but is typically less than half the time it would take in the oven!
|Asparagus Stalk Thickness||Air Frying Time|
- Store: Keep leftover asparagus in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Reheat in a hot skillet, a microwave, or the air fryer for a few minutes, until heated through.
- Freeze: You could freeze air fried asparagus, but I generally don’t recommend it. It tends to get mushy, though it could be okay to use in a soup or casserole.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Asparagus
This veggie cooks super fast in the air fryer, so I recommend a fast main dish to go along with it! Try these simple ideas that you can make quickly:
- Chicken – Cook it your favorite way! The staple methods in my family are air fryer chicken breast, juicy baked chicken drumsticks, and crispy oven baked chicken wings.
- Steak – This is a great option for a meal that feels fancy, but steak is actually one of the fastest main courses to make! Check my favorite methods for sirloin steak, filet mignon, or ribeye that produce a juicy result every time.
- Fish – There are few pairings more classic than fish and asparagus! This vegetable pairs perfectly with crispy air fryer salmon or air fried tilapia if you want to use the same appliance. If you’d rather use a different cooking method so that your main and side are ready at the same time, prepare baked haddock or broiled salmon first, pop it in the oven, then cook the asparagus in the air fryer.
- Brunch Staples – Asparagus is fabulous for brunch! Try it with a crustless spinach quiche or steak and eggs. Don’t forget the hollandaise sauce!
- Salads – Toss air fried asparagus into salads like strawberry spinach salad or spring mix salad.
More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
Making veggies in the air fryer is incredibly fast and easy! If you like this air fryer recipe for asparagus, you might also like some of these:
Easy Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
Air Fryer Asparagus (Fast & Easy!)
Crispy, tender, and EASY air fryer asparagus makes a fast, healthy side dish. It cooks in just a few minutes, with simple ingredients!
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
In a shallow baking dish, drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Move the pieces around to coat evenly.
Working in batches if needed, arrange the asparagus in the air fryer in a single layer. Air fry for 5-8 minutes for medium thickness asparagus, 7-10 minutes for thick asparagus, or 3-6 minutes for thin asparagus, until the asparagus is tender, browned, and crispy on the edges.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1/4 of entire recipe
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂