This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This air fryer asparagus recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make — it’s the fastest way to “roast” asparagus! Once you season the stalks, cooking asparagus in the air fryer is super quick, making it a great last-minute side dish to just about any healthy dinner. Oh, and did I mention you get the perfect crispness on the tips?
Ever since I got my air fryer, I’ve been making easy air fryer recipes a couple times a week! But if you want to make asparagus and don’t have an air fryer, you can make roasted asparagus, sauteed asparagus, or grilled asparagus, or bacon wrapped asparagus instead.
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
- Light and bright taste
- Tender asparagus stalks with crispy tips
- Incredibly easy to make
- Takes less than 10 minutes
- Naturally low carb, keto, vegan, and gluten-free
- A faster alternative to roasted asparagus in the oven
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for air fryer roasted asparagus, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Asparagus – Look for asparagus spears that are plump and firm, with closed tips. Snap off the woody stems.
- Olive Oil – Or avocado oil.
- Lemon Juice – Use fresh lemon juice for the best flavor, or bottled for convenience.
- Spices – Garlic powder, sea salt & black pepper. Simple!
VARIATION: Add parmesan cheese!
Sprinkle the parmesan over the asparagus in the air fryer, right before cooking. If your asparagus is thicker and will take longer to cook, you can add it halfway through cooking instead, so the cheese doesn’t burn.
How To Cook Asparagus In The Air Fryer
This section shows step-by-step photos and details about cooking asparagus in the air fryer. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Trim. Remove the tough, woody ends of the asparagus. You can learn more about ways to trim asparagus in my roasted asparagus post.
- Season. In a shallow baking dish (or a large bowl), drizzle asparagus with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.
TIP: Don’t forget to toss!
Moving the pieces around helps to fully coat and season each asparagus stalk.
- Air fry. Place asparagus stalks in the air fryer basket in a single layer, cooking in batches if necessary. Air fry until tender, browned, and crispy on the edges.
How Long To Cook Asparagus In The Air Fryer?
Wondering about cooking time for asparagus in the air fryer? It will vary based on size, but is typically less than half the time it would take in the oven!
|Asparagus Stalk Thickness||Air Frying Time|
- Store: Keep leftover asparagus in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Reheat in a hot skillet, a microwave, or the air fryer for a few minutes, until heated through.
- Freeze: You could freeze cooked asparagus, but I generally don’t recommend it. It tends to get mushy, though it could be okay to use in a soup or casserole.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Asparagus
More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
Making veggies in the air fryer is incredibly fast and easy! If you like this air fryer recipe for asparagus, you might also like some of these:
Easy Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
Air Fryer Asparagus (Fast & Easy!)
Learn how to cook asparagus in the air fryer — it cooks in a few minutes. This crispy, tender, and EASY air fryer asparagus recipe makes a fast, healthy side dish.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
In a shallow baking dish, drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Move the pieces around to coat evenly.
Working in batches if needed, arrange the asparagus in the air fryer in a single layer. Air fry for 5-8 minutes for medium thickness asparagus, 7-10 minutes for thick asparagus, or 3-6 minutes for thin asparagus, until the asparagus is tender, browned, and crispy on the edges.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/4 of entire recipe
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂