FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Ready to ditch the canned “cream of…” soups and see how much better a homemade version is? Then you have to try this easy cream of asparagus soup recipe. It’s smooth, it’s flavorful, and it needs just a handful of ingredients you probably have around. It’s the same method I use for other creamy soups, like roasted cauliflower soup and cream of mushroom soup. Not to mention, this healthy and creamy asparagus soup just screams spring! And I’m so ready for it.
Now is the time for all things asparagus. If you’re new to this spring veggie or are just a fan of simplicity, start with sauteed asparagus or roasted asparagus. And when you want to mix it up, make cheesy asparagus casserole, bacon wrapped asparagus, and of course, this creamy asparagus soup recipe.
Grab your bunches of asparagus and get ready to make the easiest, best asparagus soup ever!
Ingredients For Asparagus Soup
This simple cream of asparagus soup recipe is made with just five basic ingredients:
- Butter – I like to use grass-fed, but any kind will do. Choose unsalted so that you can adjust salt to taste separately.
- Minced garlic – You can get fresh garlic and mince it yourself, or buy the kind in a jar for convenience.
- Asparagus – Look for thinner asparagus stalks, with minimal woody ends.
- Chicken broth – Or any broth you like! Vegetable broth or beef broth would both work well.
- Heavy cream – This makes your asparagus soup creamy! If you need to reduce dairy, swap this with coconut cream instead.
…Plus salt and pepper.
There are also a couple of optional garnishes, which I highly recommend including: sour cream and fresh dill!
How To Make Cream of Asparagus Soup
Let me show you how to make asparagus soup from scratch, it’s easier than you think!
- Saute garlic. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Saute asparagus. Add asparagus and saute until it turns bright green.
- Simmer. Add chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer until asparagus is very soft.
- Blend. Pour soup into a high-powdered blender and blend until smooth.
- Add cream. Transfer soup back to the pot, stir in heavy cream, and heat until hot.
Creamy Asparagus Soup Recipe FAQs
Why is my asparagus soup stringy?
If your asparagus soup is stringy, it’s usually due to one of these mistakes:
- Choosing asparagus spears that are too thick. For best results, look for thin stalks.
- Not trimming asparagus properly. It’s important to remove the thick, woody ends of the asparagus and not use these in your soup. The best way to tell where to remove the ends is to bend the asparagus near the woody end, and it will naturally snap in the right place. Alternatively, simply line up the spears and use a knife to cut where the green turns white.
How to thicken asparagus soup?
Unlike store bought versions, homemade cream of asparagus soup is thickened by the asparagus itself! We don’t need any other thickeners. When you puree the soup, it will thicken.
If you want an even thicker soup, you can try blending in a little bit of cooked cauliflower. The asparagus will cover up the flavor. I don’t generally use a roux in my recipes, but you can do that as well if that works for you.
What herbs go with asparagus soup?
This basic asparagus soup recipe just needs some fresh dill for garnish. You can also try fresh chives instead.
Can you use asparagus stalks in soup?
You can certainly use the majority of the stalk to make cream of asparagus soup, but like most asparagus recipes, you’ll want to snap off and discard the woody ends.
However, if you want a way to use them, you can simmer them in water for about an hour, then strain the pulp through a mesh sieve. The liquid that passes through will essentially be an asparagus broth, which you can use in any soup recipe that calls for broth — including this creamy asparagus soup!
How to make asparagus soup without cream?
The heavy cream is what makes this creamy asparagus soup recipe, so you can’t simply skip it. But, if you want to, you can replace it with full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream instead.
Is asparagus soup good for you?
Yes, this is a naturally healthy asparagus soup recipe. With just a few ingredients, no starches, and no artificial additives, it definitely beats the store bought canned soups.
How many carbs in cream of asparagus soup?
Many store bought cream of asparagus soups contain starches, preservatives, and thickeners that raise the carb count. This version doesn’t have any of these, is naturally thickened by the asparagus itself, and has just 4.3 grams net carbs per cup. Yep, it’s a keto asparagus soup!
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, you can make this healthy cream of asparagus soup ahead. Make the soup and blend and store in the refrigerator.
When you’re ready to eat, reheat soup and stir in heavy cream.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Can I freeze cream of asparagus soup?
Yes, you can freeze cream of asparagus soup for 2-3 months.
Cream of soups do sometimes separate after thawing, but the chances of this are lower with recipes like this one that use full-fat dairy (i.e. heavy cream as opposed to skim milk). And if the soup does separate when you thaw it, you can blend it after reheating to make it come together again.
To serve, thaw overnight and gently reheat on the stovetop.
If you want to be on the safe side and are preparing the soup specifically for freezing, don’t add the cream at all before you freeze it. You can add cream after thawing and reheating instead.
How to reheat creamy asparagus soup:
Reheat soup in the microwave or in a sauce pan. If the soup separates, blend until smooth.
What To Serve With Asparagus Soup
Cream of asparagus soup makes a great appetizer before a spring meal, or a lunch pairing. Try these combos:
- Toppings – In my opinion, sour cream and fresh dill (or alternatively, fresh chives) are a must. If you like something more hearty, crumbled bacon makes one of the best toppings for asparagus soup!
- Bread – Top the soup with your favorite croutons, or serve with a side of toast or a roll. (And since this is keto asparagus soup, I prefer toasted keto yeast bread or dinner rolls!)
- Salad – Pair your healthy asparagus soup with an equally healthy salad for lunch. Try creamy cucumber salad, Greek salad, or for a heartier option, cobb salad.
- Eggs – Try adding a poached or coddled egg to each bowl for a more complete meal.
Tools To Make Healthy Asparagus Soup
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Dutch Oven – One of my favorites for going straight from stovetop to table, at a great price.
- Blender – You’ll use this blender for everything from smoothies to soups.
- Soup Mugs – Serve this cream of asparagus soup recipe in these soup mugs!
Easy Cream Of Asparagus Soup Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Cream Of Asparagus Soup Recipe (5 Ingredients!)
A super EASY cream of asparagus soup recipe, with just 5 simple ingredients! This healthy creamy asparagus soup is quick to make and perfect for spring.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
Add the asparagus and saute for about 5 minutes, until it turns bright green.
Add the chicken broth, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, until asparagus is very soft.
Pour soup into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
Transfer soup back to the pot. Add heavy cream and stir until heated through.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Asparagus Soup:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Asparagus Soup!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂