This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This irresistible and easy asparagus casserole recipe is very similar to regular cheesy asparagus, but the layers and hollandaise sauce make it more of a casserole. And yes, it’s as delicious as it sounds! Best of all, this dish needs just 7 ingredients and it’s ready in 20 minutes.
I love to make basic air fryer asparagus (or grilled asparagus in the summer) for my family, but simple upgrades like creamy sauce and baking in the oven transform this veggie into a dish that works for everything from Easter dinners to a healthy breakfast or brunch spread!
Why You’ll Love This Asparagus Casserole Recipe
- Rich, creamy, and cheesy
- Tender vegetables in an easy, creamy sauce (no whisking!)
- One pan for easy cleanup
- On the table in less than 30 minutes
- No cream of mushroom soup, cracker crumbs, or bread crumbs (unlike some other asparagus casseroles that are more work!)
- Naturally low carb, gluten-free, and healthy
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this easy asparagus casserole, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Asparagus – Look for fresh asparagus with stalks that aren’t woody at the bottom. Grocery stores often carry it year-round, but spring is the best season for it. I recommend medium to thin asparagus spears, so that they become tender before the cheese burns. Thick asparagus will take longer to cook, so if that’s what you have, you may need to cover the baking dish if the cheese browns too much.
- Olive Oil – Oil helps with browning and flavor. You can use regular olive oil or avocado oil for a mild taste, or extra virgin olive oil for a richer taste.
- Garlic – I used 4 cloves of fresh garlic, but you can substitute 2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder if needed.
- Seasoning – Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Cheese – I used a combination of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese, but some other good options are fontina, gouda, provolone, gruyere, or parmesan cheese. You can buy pre-shredded cheese to save time.
- Hollandaise Sauce – Made with melted butter, egg yolks, lemon juice, and sea salt, this easy hollandaise sauce takes just a few minutes and makes this the best asparagus casserole recipe ever!
- Chives – Don’t skip this garnish for flavor.
How To Make Asparagus Casserole
This section shows how to make a casserole with asparagus and cheese, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Season. Start by trimming asparagus to remove the woody ends. In a large bowl, coat asparagus with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Move asparagus around and stir to coat.
- Assemble. Layer 1/3 of the asparagus into a casserole dish and top with 1/3 of the cheeses. Repeat for a total of 3 layers of each.
- Cook. Bake asparagus casserole until the asparagus is tender. (The cheeses will melt by the time this happens.)
- Blend sauce. Make the hollandaise sauce according to the instructions here.
- Drizzle. Finish casserole with a drizzle of hollandaise and sprinkle of chopped chives.
This dish makes the perfect side or compliment to a brunch spread, but here are some protein options to add if you want to make it a complete meal on its own:
- Ham And Asparagus Casserole – If you have leftover ham, cut it into chunks or shred it, then layer it into the casserole.
- Chicken And Asparagus Casserole – If you like asparagus stuffed chicken, you’ll like this casserole version. Add layers of cooked shredded chicken into the casserole for a complete meal. You could also add caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms as well.
- Cheesy Bacon Asparagus Casserole – Cook six strips of bacon in the oven or in the microwave. Cut into 1 inch pieces and add bacon on top after adding the hollandaise sauce.
- Store: Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Meal prep: Trim and season asparagus, and layer with cheese in the baking dish. Cover with foil and store in the refrigerator. You can also make hollandaise and store in the refrigerator. Let it come to room temperature before drizzling.
- Reheat: Warm the casserole casserole gently in a 350 degree F oven until heated through. If possible, reheat without hollandaise.
- Freeze: You could put this dish in the freezer for up to 3 months, but only without the hollandaise sauce, which would separate during thawing. However, even without the sauce, the texture of the asparagus will be more mushy than making this dish fresh.
What To Serve With Asparagus Casserole Recipes
Asparagus casserole recipes can be served with so many meals! Try these:
- Steak – You can make a basic sirloin steak, or try specialty options like filet mignon, easy reverse sear steak, or customizable surf and turf.
- Chicken – Always a popular choice! Make baked chicken breast, crispy baked chicken legs, or bright and zesty lemon pepper wings. Or give your meal a spicy kick with some blackened chicken.
- Pork – Try my favorite pan seared pork chops, a tender and simple pork tenderloin, or even crispy pork belly.
- Seafood – Baked salmon is the most popular, but baked halibut in lemon butter, bacon wrapped scallops, or fast broiled lobster tail are great for a fancier meal.
- Brunch – This easy asparagus casserole recipe can be made along side other brunch recipes like low carb cinnamon rolls, savory eggs benedict casserole, or a gluten-free keto quiche. Other egg dishes, such an omelette recipe or easy egg muffins, also pair perfectly.
More Healthy Asparagus Recipes
You might also like some of these other healthy asparagus recipes:
- Baking Dish – This dish is the perfect size for this easy asparagus casserole.
- Large Bowl – These glass bowls are a kitchen tool staple at my house, I use at least one of them every single day, and they nest together to save space.
Asparagus Casserole Recipe
Asparagus Casserole (Easy & Cheesy!)
This easy, cheesy asparagus casserole recipe has layers of tender asparagus, melty cheese, and creamy hollandaise. Ready in 20 minutes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Place the asparagus into a 7×10 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, coat asparagus with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Move the pieces around to coat everything.
Layer 1/3 of the asparagus into the baking dish and top with 1/3 of the cheeses. Repeat for a total of 3 layers of each.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until asparagus is done to your liking.
When the asparagus is done, drizzle with hollandaise and sprinkle with chopped chives.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1/8 entire casserole
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Instead of hollandaise what other sauce could I use?
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Ann, I’m not sure anything else would work as well, you could omit the sauce but it would be less of a casserole.
Super simple and incredibly tasty! I loved all that cheese. Can’t wait to make this again!
This was the perfect recipe for a pre Easter lunch! Enjoyed by everyone! The flavors were amazing and It came out perfect thank you!
Soooo good! That hollandaise on top – LOVE. Served as a side dish last night and we finished every bite!
This was so delicious. I plan on making it again for Easter. I added asiago cheese instead of cheddar. YUM YUM!
I am not a fan of asparagus, but this recipe is great! The cheeses and hollandaise sauce (made from your recipe) really top it off. I love your recipes.
This looks very good.
Amy L Huntley0
The Hollandaise Sauce put these up over the yumminess factor! So creamy and cheesy! Looks like I spent hours making them.
This really is the perfect side dish all year long!! Cheesy asparagus is so delicious!!
I could eat it all!! Asparagus is my favorite & when it’s loaded with cheese, it’s even better!
Such a fun way to eat asparagus, and a way in which everyone eats it!
Cheesy options are my favorite and this dish is healthy, unique and interesting. So creamy and yum.
I love everything asparagus but this casserole is so unique and delicious. The perfect side dish to any meal.
Easy and cheesy are musts for me!
This is so yummy and delicious! I added a little bit more cheese since we love cheese! Still very tasty and very delicious! Definitely making this again soon!
My family is going to love this, thank you for the recipe!
Cheese makes everything better, right? This asparagus is amazing.