This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This cheesy asparagus casserole recipe has layers of tender asparagus, two kinds of cheese, and is drizzled with blender hollandaise sauce. (It’s very similar to regular cheesy asparagus, but the layers and sauce make it more of a casserole.) And yes, it’s as delicious as it sounds! And best of all, this easy asparagus casserole is made with just 7 ingredients and it’s ready in 20 minutes.
Asparagus Casserole Ingredients
This baked asparagus casserole recipe is made with just 7 ingredients:
- Asparagus – Look for thinner stalks that aren’t woody at the bottom.
- Olive oil
- Garlic – Use fresh if you can, but jarred is fine to save some time.
- Sea salt
- Cheddar & mozzarella cheeses – Buy pre-shredded cheese to save time. You can use mild, medium, or sharp cheddar.
- Hollandaise sauce – This easy hollandaise makes this the best asparagus casserole recipe ever!
- Chives – Don’t skip this garnish for flavor.
The ingredients make this a naturally keto asparagus casserole, but it’s sure to be a hit even if you’re not following any special diet.
How To Make Cheesy Asparagus Casserole
- Season. In a large bowl, coat asparagus with olive oil, garlic and salt. Move the asparagus around and toss to coat.
- Assemble. Layer 1/3 of the asparagus into a 7×10 inch baking dish and top with 1/3 of the shredded cheeses. Repeat for a total of 3 layers.
- Bake. Bake the cheesy asparagus casserole until it’s done to your liking.
TIP: Thinner asparagus stalks will cook faster than thicker ones. I recommend thinner ones so that they are tender before the cheese burns.
- Make hollandaise. Follow directions for blender hollandaise sauce here.
- Finish. Drizzle asparagus with hollandaise and sprinkle with chives.
Asparagus Casserole FAQs
Is cheesy asparagus casserole keto?
It depends! Some asparagus casserole recipes are made with breadcrumbs and wouldn’t be keto, but this recipe is! Each serving has just 2.5 grams net carbs.
How many calories in asparagus casserole?
Each serving of asparagus casserole has 256 calories. The full nutrition stats can be found below the recipe card.
Can I use different cheeses?
Yes! You can really use any cheese that will melt. Some other good options are fontina, gouda, provolone, or gruyere.
Can you make it ahead?
I would recommend cooking right before serving, but you can prep some things so that you just need to bake right before serving:
- Trim asparagus and layer the casserole in baking dish. Cover with foil and store in the refrigerator.
- Make hollandaise and store in the refrigerator. Let it come to room temperature before drizzling.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze asparagus casserole?
You could freeze the asparagus casserole, but only without the hollandaise sauce, which would separate during thawing.
Reheat the casserole casserole gently in a 350 degree F oven until warm. If possible, reheat without hollandaise.
What To Serve With Asparagus Casserole
This asparagus casserole recipe can be served with so many meals! Try these:
- Steak – You can make a basic sirloin steak, or try specialty options like filet mignon, reverse sear steak, or surf and turf.
- Chicken – Always a popular choice! Make baked chicken breast, chicken legs, or lemon pepper wings.
- Pork – Try slow cooker pork loin, simple pork tenderloin, or even pork belly.
- Seafood – Salmon is the most popular, but lemon butter scallops or broiled lobster tail are great for a fancier meal.
- Eggs – For brunch, an omelette or egg muffin cups pair perfectly.
More Healthy Asparagus Recipes
You might also like some of these other healthy asparagus recipes:
- Sauteed Asparagus – Just 10 minutes to make this simple side that’s made with basic ingredients.
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken – This easy weeknight meal has perfectly cooked chicken with an asparagus and cheese filling.
- Roasted Asparagus – Learn how to cook asparagus in the oven with this guide. Made with simple ingredients.
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus – The vegetable app that everyone loves! Ready in just 30 minutes.
Tools To Make Asparagus Casserole
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- 10×7 Inch Baking Dish – This dish is the perfect size for this healthy asparagus casserole.
- Large Bowl – These glass bowls are a kitchen tool staple at my house, I use at least one of them every single day.
Easy Asparagus Casserole Recipe
Easy Cheesy Asparagus Casserole Recipe
This easy, cheesy asparagus casserole recipe has layers of tender asparagus, gooey cheese, and creamy hollandaise. Ready in 20 minutes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Place the asparagus into a 7x10 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, coat asparagus with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Move the pieces around to coat everything.
Layer 1/3 of the asparagus into the baking dish and top with 1/3 of the cheeses. Repeat for a total of 3 layers of each.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until asparagus is done to your liking.
When the asparagus is done, drizzle with hollandaise and sprinkle with chopped chives.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/8 entire casserole
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂