Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
Make mealtime a little easier with this light and refreshing cucumber tomato salad recipe! It’s a staple in Eastern European meals and always had a spot at our family table growing up — even if back then I wasn’t always convinced about all these veggies. Nowadays, it’s one of my favorite summer side dishes.
Why You’ll Love This Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
- Cool, crunchy, refreshing vegetables
- Herby, tangy dressing
- Simple, common ingredients
- Super easy to make
- Ready in 15 minutes
- Perfect side dish for potlucks or cookouts
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for cucumber tomato onion salad, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Tomatoes – I used chopped Roma tomatoes (a.k.a. plum tomatoes), but you could use any tomato variety. I also love this cucumber tomato salad made with halved cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes.
- Cucumber – I opted for the smaller variety, as they are sweeter, more tender, and require less chopping. You can swap in any regular cucumber, from English to Persian cucumbers. If their skin is a bit tougher, you can remove the peels.
- Onion – I used a red onion here, but sweet onion or yellow onion would also taste great.
- Herbs – Fresh dill and fresh parsley add flavor and texture, but any fresh herbs work great! Fresh basil leaves or chives also make nice choices here.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Makes the base of the simple vinaigrette dressing. I recommend a quality olive oil (I like this one!) to bring out the natural sweetness in this dish. You could also use avocado oil, or really any oil you like.
- Red Wine Vinegar – Adds tang and emulsifies the dressing. Rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar are all good substitutes in this tomato and cucumber salad.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
VARIATION: Add cheese!
The best cheeses that pair well with the flavors here are feta cheese or fresh mozzarella balls.
How To Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
This section shows how to make tomato and cucumber salad, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Chop the veggies. In a large bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and fresh herbs. Set aside.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Toss. Pour the dressing over the tomato cucumber salad. Mix to coat.
- Store: Tomato cucumber salad recipes are best fresh, but if you have leftovers, you can keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Meal prep: Cut the veggies, make the dressing (I like to shake mine up in a mason jar) and store separately in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Toss together just before serving.
What To Serve With Tomato Cucumber Salad
This salad pairs well with lots of summery dishes. Try it with these easy pairings:
- Burgers – Add this salad next to a juicy burger, or for a lighter option, a turkey burger.
- Chicken – The cool, creamy notes of the salad balance out the bold flavors of grilled bruschetta chicken or Mediterranean chicken kabobs. I also love serving it as an easy side to Instant Pot chicken and rice.
- Pork – For the ultimate potluck, pair this cucumber tomato onion salad recipe with pulled pork sandwiches. You can also try air fryer pork chops or a juicy pork steak.
- Fish & Seafood – Plate this dish with grilled shrimp skewers or flaky baked salmon for a fast meal.
More Cucumber And Tomato Salad Recipes
Cucumbers add a refreshing crunch to any salad, while tomatoes add sweet, juicy flavor. If you like this refreshing salad, try these other recipes with the tomatoes and cucumbers:
Cucumber Tomato Salad
Cucumber Tomato Salad (Quick & Easy!)
Make a refreshing cucumber tomato salad recipe in just 15 minutes, with crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, zesty onion, and simple vinaigrette.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and fresh herbs. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the cucumber tomato salad. Mix to coat.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂