This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Learn how to grill chicken kabobs with this easy Mediterranean chicken kabobs recipe, PLUS 6 other flavor variations! Juicy chicken is marinated with simple, fresh herbs and spices, then cooked perfectly on the grill. These grilled chicken kabobs with vegetables make an easy, healthy main course that everyone will love for dinner.
If you love Mediterranean flavors, be sure to also try Mediterranean chicken, Mediterranean chicken salad, and surprisingly easy homemade gyro meat.
What Are Chicken Kabobs?
Chicken shish kabobs are pieces of chicken that are seasoned and grilled on skewers, often with vegetables. The best chicken kabobs will have a quick marinade and simple, fresh ingredients.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Kabob Recipe
- Classic Mediterranean flavors
- Juicy chicken and tender vegetables
- Just 10 minutes to prep and 10-15 minutes to cook
- Very customizable
- Easy and healthy meal
Ingredients For Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs
This section explains how to choose ingredients for the best grilled chicken kabobs, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
Chicken & Vegetables:
- Chicken Breast – I use boneless skinless chicken breast, but you could also use chicken thighs if you like.
- Bell Peppers – I like to use a variety of colors, but use your favorites.
- Zucchini – Feel free to swap this for similar veggies, such as yellow squash or even eggplant.
- Red Onion – White or yellow onion will also work if you prefer.
Chicken Kabob Marinade:
- Olive Oil – Use extra virgin olive oil for best flavor. If you need to, you can still use regular olive oil or swap in avocado oil.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh squeezed is the best, and lemon is a must for Mediterranean chicken kabobs!
- Garlic – Fresh minced garlic has the best flavor, but the kind from a jar will work as well.
- Fresh Herbs – I used dill and parsley, perfect for summer! I highly recommend fresh, but if you must substitute dried herbs, replace each tablespoon of fresh herbs with a teaspoon of dried.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
How To Grill Chicken Kabobs
This section shows how to cook chicken kabobs on the grill with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Prep chicken and vegetables. Cut all the meat and produce into 1.5 inch pieces. For zucchini, slice it into rounds.
TIP: Aim for pieces that are all the same size. This will ensure that they cook evenly.
- Mix chicken kabob marinade. Stir together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dill, parsley, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Thread chicken skewers. Skewer the chicken pieces and vegetables, alternating for variety.
TIP: Soak skewers. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30-60 minutes before threading, to prevent them from burning.
- Marinate. Place skewers in a casserole dish and pour marinade on top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- Grill. Place kabobs on the grill and close the lid. Grill, flipping once, until the chicken is cooked through. How long to cook chicken kabobs will vary depending on your grill and the size of the chicken pieces.
What Temperature To Grill Chicken Kabobs?
Cook the chicken skewers on the grill over medium-high heat, which is about 375 degrees F. Use a precise meat thermometer to confirm that you cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
How Long To Grill Chicken Kabobs?
Chicken kabobs grill time will be about 5-8 minutes per side, over medium-high heat. The time can vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces and your exact grill temperature.
Variations Of Chicken Kabob Recipes
For some variety, try these other flavors for grilled chicken kabobs:
- Persian – Chicken, onions, red and green bell peppers. Swap the marinade seasonings with turmeric, saffron, and red pepper flakes.
- Italian – Chicken, onions, eggplant, mushrooms, and bell peppers. Replace the herbs in the seasoning with Italian seasoning.
- Teriyaki – Chicken, pineapple, onions, and bell peppers. Marinate in your favorite teriyaki sauce.
- Ranch – Chicken, zucchini, mushrooms, and bell peppers. Replace the herbs in the marinade with ranch seasoning mix.
- Cajun – Chicken, zucchini, yellow squash, and bell peppers. Marinate with Cajun seasoning.
- Fajita – Chicken, onions, and bell peppers. Use fajita seasoning in the marinade.
- Store: Keep any leftover chicken kabobs in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Meal prep: To make the kabobs for meal prep, simply cook and grill and store in the refrigerator. I like to place lunch-sized portions of the chicken and vegetables over cauliflower rice, in separate containers.
- Reheat: Reheat the chicken kabobs on the grill again, in a 350 degree F oven, or if you must, gently in the microwave.
- Freeze: It’s not recommended to freeze raw kabobs with marinade, because the chicken will end up mushy. But for cooked chicken and vegetables, you can freeze them for 2-3 months. Keep in mind that the veggie texture won’t be quite as good as fresh.
What To Serve With Chicken Kabobs
You don’t actually have to serve these barbecue chicken kabobs with anything, because they have both meat and vegetables, but if you want to add a healthy side, here are some ideas:
- Salads – Try tomato cucumber avocado salad, Mediterranean quinoa salad, or Israeli salad.
- Other Grilled Veggies – My faves are grilled asparagus and grilled broccoli.
- Rice – You can make regular white rice, but I prefer cauliflower rice.
- Sauces – Tahini sauce and tzatziki sauce (pictured in the photos) both pair perfectly.
More Easy Grilled Main Courses
If you like this recipe for grilled chicken kabobs, you might also like some of these other easy grilling recipes:
Tools For Grilling Chicken Kabobs
- Bamboo Skewers – Use these for grilled chicken kabobs, shrimp skewers, and lamb kofta!
- Meat Thermometer – This one has great precision, so you won’t overcook your chicken.
- Indoor Grill – Ideally you’d cook chicken kabobs on a charcoal grill or gas grill, but if it’s cold or rainy outside, you can still make them with this indoor grill.
Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs With Vegetables
Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs With Vegetables
Learn how to grill chicken kabobs so they turn out juicy and flavorful! This grilled Mediterranean chicken kabobs recipe is EASY, healthy, colorful, and cooks in 10-15 minutes.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30-60 minutes before using them on the grill, to prevent burning.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dill, parsley, sea salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
Thread the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers.
Add the kabobs to a casserole dish and pour marinade on top. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for a least 30 minutes.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
After the grill has preheated, put the chicken kabobs on the grill and close lid. Cook for 5-8 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our Facebook support group, too – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 skewer
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Are you able cook this in an oven?
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Wendelin, Yes that should work.
Love all the recipes from this site. This is one of my very favorites. <3
For your recipe for Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kabob with Vegetables, I need some help in converting the olive oil and lemon juice for 11 servings. When I enter the number of servings to 11, this is what happens for the olive oil and lemon juice:
It shows on the screen as 5/6 cup and when it prints out, it shows as 11/12 cup
I would be grateful for your interpretation in how to clarify and guide me in how much of each I should use. Thank you for all you do for us!
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Susan, I recommend entering 12 servings. Odd numbers are really hard to convert and sometimes give numbers that don’t make sense.
What is the sodium content?
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Susan, Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, you’d have to manually calculate that.
These kabobs look incredibly vibrant, colorful and juicy- my mouth is watering!
I’m a big sucker for Mediterranean flavours and this chicken kabobs are no exception! It looks amazing, saving it to make it next weekend!
These chicken kabobs were so delicious, fresh, and so easy to put together and make! Love how quickly they came together to serve my family for dinner.
Yum! Loving all the flavors in these kabobs. This has been our go to recipe all summer long!
This looks wonderful! Tip for marinade containing citric acid (i.e. lemon juice and similar acidic ingredients): poultry tends to “close it’s pores” when it comes in contact with citric acid. Before you marinade, soak the cut chicken in salt water for about 10 minutes. rinse, pat dry, and THEN marinade. It allows the wonderful flavors of the marinade to permeate the chicken rather than just sitting on top.
Can these be made under the broiler?
Wholesome Yum M0
Hi Terri, I have not tested this recipe in the broiler, so I don’t know if you will get similar results. If you are wanting to try making your skewers in the oven, I recommend baking your prepared skewers until the chicken is cooked through (use a thermometer to test this) then finish in the broiler for the final charred texture. Please let us know how it turns out!
Kebobs are my favourite thing to grill during the summer. I’m obsessed with these mediterranean flavours and all those colourful veggies. Tzatziki is the best for dipping, too!
These chicken kabobs were so easy to put together, and they came out SO flavorful and juicy! Thanks for this recipe!
These kabobs were delicious! My whole family loved them and asked me to make them again. Easy to make and very flavorful!
There’s nothing better than fresh, delicious veggies on the grill! Loving this Mediterranean Chicken Kabob recipe!
This is making me want to get a grill! These kabobs look absolutely perfect, bookmarked to make when I eventually get a grill 😉
I liked your version of chicken kabab; it was easy to make and delicious. I used coriander instead of dill because I didn’t have it, and it turned out great.
This is delicious! The colors are so pretty!
These kabobs are so tasty!! I love grilled chicken & veggies & the Mediterranean flavor is delicious!
Amy L Huntley0
SO juicy and SO flavorful! The perfect combo!
Juicy, tender, & so much flavor!! These are great appetizers & hearty enough as the main meal!
I love the idea of using fresh herbs on kabobs! These sound amazingly flavorful and I cannot wait to try all of these different versions. Thanks for the great tips 🙂
I love this recipe! So delicious and healthy!
This mediterranean chicken kabobs looks yumm
Mmmmmm one of my FAVORITE cookout foods, they’re so easy to make ahead of time and marinate until ready to grill. These are PERFECT!
Yum! These kabobs were so delicious! It made the perfect easy dinner!
Wow! These skewers were stunning. My family just gobbled them up, veggies and all. We loved the flavour and how juicy the chicken was.
This is really good! Packed full of flavors!
I just love grilling and these skewers were so delicious! Incredible and bursting with so much flavor! I can’t wait to make these for a gathering soon!
This is a great dinner for a busy weeknight! Light and full of flavor!
Simple, wholesome, and delicious. I will be making these chicken kabobs again!
Simple to make and delicious! SO much flavor!