This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Can you grill broccoli? You absolutely can — and it’s delicious! This grilled broccoli recipe adds the best smoky, savory flavor to one of my favorite vegetables — and it comes together FAST (almost as fast as grilled asparagus!). Once you master cooking broccoli on the grill, it’s even easier to prep your mains and sides in one place. This guide will show you how to grill broccoli to make it tender and flavorful, plus how to enjoy your favorite grilled foods stress-free.
Grilled food is so fun to serve and enjoy, until side effects like heartburn and indigestion set in… but there is a solution: Acidil Meltaway Tablets. They fight acid indigestion with plant-based active ingredients.
The best part? They work before or after meals (even without water) for fast relief when grilled vegetables have unexpected side effects. It’s a totally natural and easy way to keep enjoying barbecue — without the burn!
Learn More About Acidil Here
(Including stores near you that carry it!)
Why You’ll Love Grilling Broccoli
- Earthy and smoky grilled flavor
- Tender texture
- Healthy, basic ingredients
- Quick and easy to make
- 2 ways to cook: directly on the grill or in foil
Grilled Broccoli Recipe Ingredients
This section will explain how to choose the best ingredients for grilled broccoli, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Broccoli – Use fresh or frozen (more details on that below!) — just make sure it’s bright green with no browning edges.
- Olive Oil – Extra virgin olive oil tastes great here, but any olive oil (or avocado oil) will work.
- Lemon Juice – Adds bright and fresh flavor to earthy veggies. Use fresh for best results (but bottled will work, too).
- Garlic Powder – It’s optional, but adds even more flavor when cooking broccoli on the grill.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
How To Grill Broccoli
This section will show you how to cook broccoli on the grill with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Preheat. Preheat your grill on high heat, then reduce to medium right before you cook the broccoli. Meanwhile…
- Make marinade. Whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Marinate. Add broccoli and let it sit for 15 minutes while the grill preheats.
- Wrap (optional). To make grilled broccoli in foil, add broccoli to a flat foil piece and seal the edges to make a packet. If you decide to cook broccoli directly on the grill, skip to the next step.
- Grill. Add broccoli (or the broccoli foil packet) directly to the grill, turning occasionally until tender and lightly charred on all sides.
How long to grill broccoli?
Determining how long to cook broccoli on the grill depends on your individual grill, the size of your broccoli, and the cooking method. Here are the average cook times:
- Fresh broccoli on the grill: 8-10 minutes
- Fresh broccoli in foil: 10-20 minutes
- Frozen broccoli in foil: 15-25 minutes
Cook until broccoli is knife-tender and, if directly on the grill, edges are slightly charred.
Can you grill frozen broccoli?
Yes, you can make grilled frozen broccoli! However, the approach for how to cook frozen broccoli on the grill is a bit different.
Frozen broccoli must be cooked in a foil packet, so any frozen pieces that may chip off won’t fall into the grill, and also so that there is enough time for the inside to cook through. Since it cooks in the foil, the broccoli will be softer and won’t take on the signature charred edges that fresh broccoli would get directly on the grill.
Tips For The Best Grilled Broccoli
For best results cooking broccoli on the grill, follow these tips!
- Use large broccoli florets. Larger broccoli pieces are easier to handle and won’t fall through the grates.
- Let the broccoli marinate (quickly). After tossing broccoli with the oil and spices, let it “marinate” so the oil can penetrate the nooks and crannies in the florets. You’ll get more golden brown char, and less burn.
- Use your favorite spices. This version of grilled broccoli with lemon tastes amazing, but don’t stop there — try finishing it with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, or swap the dry spices with steak seasoning or lemon pepper seasoning.
- Use grilling baskets or foil for smaller pieces. Worried about losing your broccoli between the grill grates? Use the foil packet method instead of adding directly to the grill (or to keep those charred edges, try a grill basket instead!).
- Poke for doneness. If you’re not sure how long to cook broccoli on the grill judging by its size, give it a poke with a fork. When it’s tender, it’s time to come off the grill. If the outside is browned but it’s not tender yet, turn down the heat and move the broccoli to a less hot area of the grill, if possible.
- To store: Your grilled broccoli (foil packet or direct grill) stores in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- To reheat: Reheat broccoli in a 350 degree F oven, a hot skillet, or place on the grill again for a few minutes, until warm.
- To freeze: You can freeze grilled broccoli, but the texture will be more mushy and not as tasty. If you do decide to freeze, wrap tightly and store in the freezer for up to 12 months. Thaw fully in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
What To Serve With Grilled Broccoli
If you already have the grill turned on, save time and serve this broccoli with a grilled main dish:
- Juicy Burgers
- Grilled Sirloin Steak
- Cajun Grilled Cod
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
- Grilled Salmon
- Lobster Tails On The Grill
More Healthy Broccoli Recipes
Tools To Cook Broccoli On The Grill
- Grill Basket – Get charred edges without losing broccoli between the grates.
- Cast Iron Grill Pan – When it’s too cold to grill outside, use this on the stovetop instead.
- Acidil Meltaway Tablets – Perfect for enjoying your favorite grilled vegetables, without the burn!
How To Grill Broccoli
How To Grill Broccoli: Easy Grilled Broccoli Recipe
Cooking broccoli on the grill gives it a smoky flavor and charred edges, and this is the easiest grilled broccoli recipe! Learn how to grill broccoli perfectly — fresh, frozen, direct on the grill, or in foil.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the grill for 5-10 minutes, or a grill pan for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium right before cooking.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, if using. Add the broccoli and toss to coat. Let the broccoli sit for 15 minutes.
To grill broccoli directly on the grill: Place the broccoli onto the grill. Grill for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally to lightly char all sides, until tender.
To grill broccoli in foil: Place the broccoli on a large piece of tin foil, fold over the foil and seal to form a foil packet. Place the foil packet onto the grill and cook for 10-20 minutes, turning halfway through, until tender.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our Facebook support group, too – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1 cup grilled broccoli, or 1/4 of entire recipe
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
Grill with cover down or up?
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi AB, You would want the cover down.
Why are grilled veggies just so much better?! Grilled broccoli is the best!!
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Kristyn, I agree! Grilled vegetables are the best!
I can eat a plate full of grilled broccoli!! It’s delicious!!
This recipe was so easy and so delicious! Even my kids ate the broccoli!
I love how easy it is! One of our favorite sides!
I love the grilled broccoli! What a simple side dish!
Broccoli is my fav and I never thought to grill it until this recipe. Fantastic!
Grilled Broccoli looks yummy
This is amazing!!!
Yum. The broccoli was so good grilled. Still crispy but browned too. Delish.
We just love this recipe and even like to add a dash of paprika to the broccoli as well! Such a great and easy side to make, and goes perfect with our chicken nights. Can’t wait to make this grilled broccoli again!
I loved this broccoli… yet what really MAKES the recipe is fresh squeezed lemon juice. What a beautiful bright flavor note it adds to this yummy vegetable.
Amy L Huntley0
I absolutely love the charred ends and smoky flavor. One of my new favorite ways to prepare broccoli.
Great tips!! Love marinating the broccoli! It definitely adds great flavor & love the slight grilled flavor, too!
This is the best way to eat broccoli!! I could snack on this all day!