FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Sometimes the simple meals and recipes taste just as good as the complex ones, don’t you think? Take this sauteed broccoli with garlic, for example. It’s incredibly easy, and just 3 ingredients, but SO good, even though it’s SO simple. I love serving this sauteed broccoli recipe as a side for a low carb dinner, or as part of a meal prep lunch. The pan fried broccoli recipe is easily adapted to any type of cuisine… meaning there’s never a bad time for broccoli stir fry! Add it to chicken or steak, and you’ve got yourself a full meal that’s both healthy and delicious.
Broccoli is one of those foods that sometimes gets a bad reputation, but I really believe that it’s all about the preparation! Soggy, mushy steamed broccoli without any fat or flavor? No thanks! But roasted? Crisp in a salad? Crunchy in a stir fry? YES PLEASE!
All broccoli needs is a bit of fat, a bit of seasonings (garlic and salt in this one!), and the right cooking technique. Those small tweaks will turn those who are broccoli-afraid into broccoli-obsessed!
How To Make Sauteed Broccoli With Garlic
First things first. I’m going to show you how to saute broccoli. It’s fast, it’s easy, and it’s healthy!
A sauteed garlic broccoli recipe makes the perfect side, no matter if you’re keto, paleo, low carb, or nothing at all! Oh, and kids love this one too, because it doesn’t have that bland steamed broccoli factor.
Here is the best method for how to make sauteed broccoli with garlic:
- Cut the broccoli into florets. It’s up to you how big you make them, but I recommend the size pictured below.
TIP: Slice the florets in half. This will give you more browned edges, and ensure even, faster cooking.
- Saute the garlic. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute just until fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic. If it starts browning, just take the pan off the heat and add the broccoli.
- Stir fry broccoli. Add broccoli florets to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, until broccoli starts to turn bright green and brown a bit.
- Add water to pan, cover, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until crisp-tender.
TIP: Broccoli will shrink by about 25% when cooking, so 4 cups of raw broccoli will yield about 3 cups cooked broccoli.
How Long To Saute Broccoli?
The cook time for sauteed broccoli florets will vary a bit depending on the size, but I like to cook mine for about 6-9 minutes total. This includes the browning step and steaming step – but don’t worry, it’s all in one pan!
My cooking method is a bit different as I start the broccoli in a pan with oil to let it brown a bit, then finish it with some water to steam it until it reaches the perfect texture. It’s lightly browned and crispy, but still tender and crisp. The best of both broccoli worlds. 🙂
Is Sauteed Broccoli Healthy?
Yes, this keto sauteed broccoli recipe is healthy. When you’re trying to incorporate more vegetables into your diet, this is a great one to try, as it’s delicious as it is nutritious!
It’s obviously keto, low carb, paleo, whole30, and just plain GOOD for you.
Can You Make Pan Fried Broccoli Ahead?
This broccoli sauteed with garlic and olive oil is best served fresh, but it also reheats really nicely. If you’re planning on making it ahead of time, cook it for 1-2 minutes less so that when you re-heat it, it doesn’t get mushy!
Can You Freeze Broccoli Stir Fry?
This broccoli stir fry recipe is best fresh, but you can freeze it if necessary. After you cool the broccoli florets, spread them out onto a lined cookie sheet and freeze until solid. Then transfer to a freezer bag.
Reheat just until hot. It will lose a little crunch, but still shouldn’t be mushy!
More Healthy Broccoli Recipes
I loooooooove broccoli! Served as a side like simple sauteed broccoli, or turned into a main meal, salad, or even rice! If you like this pan fried broccoli recipe, you might also like these easy broccoli recipes:
- Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup – Just 5 ingredients! This recipe is one of the most popular on my entire site!
- Paleo Keto Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry – This broccoli stir fry recipe is full of flavor. Serve over cauliflower rice for double the veggies!
- Low Carb Broccoli Cauliflower Salad – This classic salad gets better as it sits, so it’s perfect to make ahead for picnics or parties.
- Roasted Parmesan Broccoli and Cauliflower – If you’re a fan of simple sides, this one goes with virtually everything.
Tools To Make Sauteed Broccoli Stir Fry:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Silicone Utensil Set – Functional and they look great on the counter, I love this set!
- Ceramic Nonstick Chef Pan – One of my favorite pans for just about everything, pan fried broccoli included!
- Glass Containers – To store any broccoli stir fry leftovers, or use for meal prep containers.
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Sauteed Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe With Garlic
The BEST method for how to make sauteed broccoli with garlic - less than 15 minutes! Pan fried broccoli stir fry needs just 3 ingredients and makes the perfect side dish.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli florets. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Increase heat to medium high. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes, until the broccoli starts to turn bright green and brown a bit.
- Add the water. Cover with a lid and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until broccoli is crisp-tender. (There will be steam under the lid.) Remove the lid and if there is any water remaining, stir fry for another minute until it evaporates. Adjust salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Made this recipe? Leave a rating! ★★★★★
Serving size: 3/4 cup
Video Showing How To Make Sauteed Broccoli:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Sauteed Broccoli!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. We'd LOVE for you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe instructions to social media or websites. You may share a photo with a link back instead.