This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- What Are Chicken Leg Quarters?
- Why You’ll Love These Baked Chicken Leg Quarters
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- How To Bake Chicken Leg Quarters In The Oven
- What Temp To Bake Chicken Quarters?
- How Long To Bake Chicken Leg Quarters At 400?
- What Is The Recommended Internal Temperature?
- Storage Instructions
- Serving Suggestions
- More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Recommended Tools
- Baked Chicken Leg Quarters (Crispy, Juicy, & Easy!)
Much like chicken drumsticks and chicken thighs, these easy baked chicken leg quarters in the oven make for a simple and versatile dinner. Seasoned with basics from your pantry, they have a delicious golden and crispy skin — you’re going to love them! Serve the roasted chicken leg quarters with a healthy side dish and your healthy meal is ready to go.
What Are Chicken Leg Quarters?
Chicken leg quarters are whole chicken legs (thighs and drumsticks) that also have a piece of the back attached to them.
Why You’ll Love These Baked Chicken Leg Quarters
- Savory chicken flavor
- Golden, crispy skin and tender chicken
- Just 5 minutes to prep
- Made with just a handful of pantry staple ingredients
- Healthy chicken dinner
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for crispy baked chicken leg quarters, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Chicken Leg Quarters – I prefer to use organic chicken for best flavor and nutrition, but you can choose the type according to your own preference.
- Olive Oil – Or avocado oil.
- Spices – Paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper. If you like a kick, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper also makes a nice addition.
How To Bake Chicken Leg Quarters In The Oven
This section shows how to cook chicken leg quarters in the oven, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Prep. Preheat oven. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Season. Brush chicken with olive oil and season with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
FYI: Drying the chicken helps the skin get crispy.
- Bake. Arrange chicken on an oven-safe rack fitted over a baking sheet, skin side down. Bake quarters in the oven for 15 minutes. Flip and bake until done.
TIP: Line the pan with aluminum foil (underneath the rack) if you like.
Lining the pan is not required, but makes for easier cleanup.
- Rest. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. This helps the juices settle so that the chicken won’t be dry.
What Temp To Bake Chicken Quarters?
Bake chicken quarters at 400 degrees F. This gets the skin crispy and keeps the chicken juicy.
How Long To Bake Chicken Leg Quarters At 400?
Baking chicken leg quarters will take about 30-35 minutes, but it is best to use a meat thermometer, as the cooking time will vary a bit depending on chicken leg size.
What Is The Recommended Internal Temperature?
Like all chicken recipes, baked chicken quarters are safe to eat once they reach 165 degrees F. However, because leg dark meat has more connective tissue than white meat, it will be more tender if you cook it to 170-175 degrees F [*].
- Store: Keep leftover roasted chicken quarters in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Reheat in a 350 degree F oven for best results, or a microwave for a quick option.
- Freeze: Freeze cooked chicken in an airtight container for 2-3 months. Raw chicken leg quarters can be frozen for 3-6 months.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you like baked chicken leg quarters recipes like this one, you might like some of these other easy chicken recipes:
- Baking Sheet With Rack Set – I love these nonstick baking pans. I have every size, but the set with rack is particularly useful for crispy foods, such as bacon in the oven or these chicken legs.
- Meat Thermometer – The best way to tell when your roasted chicken leg quarters are cooked perfectly is by testing with a meat thermometer.
Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters Recipe
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Baked Chicken Leg Quarters (Crispy, Juicy, & Easy!)
You'll love this simple recipe for baked chicken leg quarters in the oven! You only need a few simple ingredients for perfectly juicy, crispy roasted chicken leg quarters every time.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Pat the chicken leg quarters dry with paper towels, which will help them get crispy.
Brush the chicken drumsticks with olive oil. Season with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
Arrange the chicken on the rack, skin side down. Bake the chicken leg quarters in the oven for 15 minutes. Flip and bake for another 15-25 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 chicken leg quarter
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂