FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- How To Roast Eggplant
- Do You Have To Peel Eggplant Before You Cook It?
- How To Cut Eggplant
- How To Season Eggplant
- How Long To Roast Eggplant
- How To Store Roasted Eggplant Slices
- How To Freeze Oven Roasted Eggplant
- What To Serve With Roasted Eggplant
- Tools To Make Oven Roasted Eggplant Slices
- How To Roast Eggplant: Oven Roasted Eggplant Slices Recipe
This oven roasted eggplant recipe makes the perfect healthy addition to just about any meal. I kept the seasonings basic in these roasted eggplant slices, so that they can be used in a wide variety of ways. Turn them into eggplant Parmesan with marinara and mozzarella cheese. Or use them instead of pasta as lasagna layers (eggplant lasagna!). Or just serve them on the side of some chicken! You really can’t go wrong. I’ll show you how to cut eggplant and how to roast eggplant – everything you need to know about roasting eggplant can be found below.
Eggplant is one of those veggies that people often have strong opinions about. And I get it. I wasn’t always a big eggplant fan. But when you drizzle the slices with a generous amount of olive oil and season them correctly, they get caramelized in the oven and they are irresistible!
And an obsession with eggplant is one that I can feel okay about. Let’s get to the eggplant!
How To Roast Eggplant
I’m here to show you just how to roast eggplant! As I’ve mentioned already, it’s fast, easy, and totally versatile.
Everyone should have a basic roasted eggplant recipe in their back pocket and this is it.
- Slice the eggplant. I like to cut them into 1/2 inch (or so) slices.
TIP: The thinner your slices, the more caramelized edges you’ll get and the less the baking time will be. But, you risk burning if you slice them too thin, so 1/2 inch thick (or slightly less) is a good thickness to aim for.
- Arrange eggplant on a baking sheet (or two if you don’t have room). Once you’ve laid out the slices in a single layer, drizzle them with olive oil and season them with sea salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Flip over the slices and repeat the oil and seasonings.
- Roast the eggplant. I like to cook them until they are soft and golden, and starting to caramelize a bit. It will take about 30-35 minutes.
And that’s how to roast eggplant slices. Serve with some marinara on the side if you like!
Do You Have To Peel Eggplant Before You Cook It?
No! You don’t have to peel eggplant before you cook it. The outer peel of the eggplant (the pretty purple one!) is totally edible and actually helps hold the eggplant together once it’s cooked.
If you plan on turning your roasted eggplant slices into a dip like baba ganoush, you would remove the peel, but for general roasted eggplant recipes you leave the peel on.
How To Cut Eggplant
When you’re cutting eggplant, you want to slice it crosswise to make circles, about 1/2 inch thick. Try to get them in even slices so they cook evenly.
I do have one specific tip for how to cut eggplant:
Cut off the leafy end only after you are done slicing, so that you’ll have more to grab onto as you slice.
How To Season Eggplant
In this oven roasted eggplant recipe, we’re keeping the seasonings very basic. This is great because the eggplant can be used in so many different ways.
I like to give the eggplant a healthy drizzle of olive oil and then season the slices with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
TIP: Want even more flavor without much effort? Sprinkle on some Italian seasoning!
That’s it! Your roasted eggplant slices are ready to eat plain or use in a recipe.
How Long To Roast Eggplant
The cooking time for roasted eggplant slices is about 30 minutes at 400 degrees F. You want them golden and soft.
The cooking time may vary if your slices are much larger or smaller than 1/2 inch, as I recommend here.
How To Store Roasted Eggplant Slices
You can store roasted eggplant slices in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Let them cool after you roast them and then place them in layers in an airtight container.
How To Freeze Oven Roasted Eggplant
This oven roasted eggplant recipe freezes well! After cooking the eggplant, let them cool. Then, you can freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. When they are frozen solid, you can transfer the slices to a freezer bag.
When you’re ready to use your roasted eggplant slices, let them thaw and then re-heat in a skillet or 350 degree F oven until hot.
What To Serve With Roasted Eggplant
I love healthy eggplant recipes like this one because it goes with just about anything! You’ll find all of my easy keto low carb dinner recipes here, but here are a few favorites that would be perfect with this baked eggplant recipe:
- Ground Lamb Kofta Kebab – Mediterranean dishes like this one are a natural fit for the best roasted eggplant recipe!
- Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore – While the chicken is finishing in the slow cooker, turn on the oven and make roasted eggplant slices!
- Low Carb Chicken Parmesan – Add some roasted eggplant slices to this chicken and you’ll have a chicken/eggplant parmesan mash-up! YUM.
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs – Sometimes basic just goes with basic. The seasonings may be basic, but the flavor is incredible.
Tools To Make Oven Roasted Eggplant Slices
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Nonstick Baking Pan – These are my favorite pans! They never stick and they clean up so well! I love the extra large pan for roasted eggplant recipes.
- 8-Inch Chef’s Knife – How to cut eggplant? Use a good knife!
- Olive Oil Mister – Using this mister on your slices ensures that each eggplant will have a light mist of oil over it.
How To Roast Eggplant: Oven Roasted Eggplant Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
How To Roast Eggplant: Oven Roasted Eggplant Slices Recipe
Learn how to cut eggplant and how to roast eggplant slices in 2 EASY steps! This oven roasted eggplant recipe makes the perfect healthy low carb side dish.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Slice the eggplant crosswise to make circles, about 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick. Cut off the leafy end only after you are done slicing, so that you'll have more to grab onto as you slice.
Arrange the eggplant slices on an extra large baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Flip and repeat the olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
Roast the eggplant slices in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, until soft and golden.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 4 slices, or 1/4 entire recipe
Video Showing How To Make Roasted Eggplant:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Roasted Eggplant!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂