FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
At first blush, a Greek lamb kofta recipe sounds like it could be something difficult to make. But guess what? IT’S NOT hard at all! You won’t believe how easy my ground lamb kebab recipe is – and just 6 easy ingredients, too! Most of them are pantry staples.
Honestly, want to know the hardest part? Ok, I’ll tell you. Trying to decide what to serve with your ground lamb kebabs… there are so many options that work well with this dish. Keep reading below for my favorite ideas and sides and spreads, but the possibilities are endless with this meal. Just promise me you’ll try your hand at a lamb kofta kebab. You’re going to love them!
I love classic Mediterranean dishes, and this recipe for ground lamb kebabs definitely sticks with that theme. The seasonings are minimal, but highlight the natural flavor in lamb. The meat is rich and juicy. (If you love fancier lamb dishes, though, these braised lamb shanks will hit the spot!)
And food-on-a-stick? It’s just fun! Let me know when you’ve tried out this grilled ground lamb kebabs recipe, I love to hear what you guys think!
How To Make Grilled Ground Lamb Kofta
Ok, are you ready for these 4 easy steps? I hope so! Here’s how to make this ground lamb kebab recipe:
- Soak your skewers in water. This is an important step, as you don’t want them to catch on fire! 20-30 minutes is long enough.
- Mix the aromatics, herbs and seasonings first – onion, garlic, parsley, dill, and seasonings. Mixing everything else first ensures that you don’t over-mix the meat.
- Add your ground lamb meat. Be careful to not over-mix! Doing so will make your lamb kofta tough.
- Shape your ground lamb kebabs. Divide the meat up and mold each section around a bamboo skewer. You should be able to fit about 2 sections of meat per skewer.
- Grill your lamb kofta kebabs. These cook really quickly because they are so small in size, so watch the grill closely! They are done when they are browned with grill marks and cooked through inside.
What Is Kofta?
Kofta is similar to a meatball or meatloaf, in that it’s a mixture of ground (sometimes called minced) meat formed into a ball.
There are many different versions of kofta, that vary slightly depending on origination and ingredients. They are typically made with beef, chicken, lamb, or pork and a variety of spices. My kofta recipe features ground lamb and traditional Greek seasonings.
How Many Calories In A Lamb Kofta Kebab?
These ground lamb kebabs have 324 calories per skewer (2 pieces).
Lamb kofta recipe nutrition:
- 324 calories
- 18 grams of protein
- 26 grams of fat
- 0 grams carbs
Can You Make This Ground Lamb Kebab Recipe Ahead?
Yes, you can make this ground lamb kebab recipe ahead. Mix it all together, and form meat onto the bamboo skewers and place the skewers on a platter. Wrap platter tightly in plastic wrap or foil and store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Then take them out and grill according to the directions.
Can You Freeze Ground Lamb Kebabs?
You can freeze this lamb kofta recipe! After they are done cooking, let them cool and then wrap in plastic wrap and store kebabs in a freezer bag. They’ll keep for up to 4 months in the freezer.
Reheat in the oven for best results, just until hot so they don’t dry out too much.
What To Serve With Lamb Koftas
The best lamb kofta recipe calls for some killer sides, don’t you think? There are plenty of low carb side dish recipes on my site, but here are a few options that would pair perfectly with your ground lamb kebabs.
- Keto Naan Bread – This pita-like bread is the perfect wrapper for your Greek lamb kofta.
- Creamy Cucumber Salad – Either on the side or as a sandwich topper, this cucumber salad is a light and refreshing balance for rich ground lamb recipes.
- Mediterranean Salad with Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette – Another great salad, this one pops with the sun-dried tomato dressing!
- Roasted Cauliflower Hummus – Use as a sandwich topper or a spread.
- Greek Tzatziki Sauce – Cool and creamy, and perfect with minced lamb skewers.
Tools To Make Grilled Ground Lamb Kofta Kebab
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Bamboo Skewers for Grilling – These are mandatory for this recipe, so make sure you have a stash at home, or order here so you can make a batch of lamb kofta kebab asap!
- 10-piece Glass Bowl Set – Mixing, prepping ingredients, etc. These bowls do it all.
Grilled Ground Lamb Kofta Kebab Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Grilled Ground Lamb Kofta Kebab Recipe
Don't be intimidated, this EASY lamb kofta recipe is just 6 ingredients! Learn how to make lamb kofta kebab (aka ground lamb kebabs) at home in 15 minutes.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. Pat dry.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together all ingredients except the lamb. Add the lamb and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
Divide the meat into 16 sections. Mold each section of meat around a bamboo skewer, making it a few inches long and about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. You'll fit 2 sections of meat per skewer, about 1-2 inches apart.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and oil the grates lightly. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for 3 minutes. Flip and cook for 3-5 more minutes, to desired level of doneness. Time on the second side will be about 2 minutes for medium rare, 3 minutes for medium, 4 minutes for medium-well and 5 minutes for well done.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 2 lamb kofta pieces (1 skewer)
Video Showing How To Make Lamb Kofta Kebabs:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Lamb Kofta Kebabs!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂