FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- Why You’ll Love Grilling Asparagus
- Grilled Asparagus Recipe Ingredients
- How To Grill Asparagus
- Tips For The Best Grilled Asparagus
- Storage Instructions
- What To Serve With Grilled Asparagus
- More Healthy Asparagus Recipes
- Tools To Cook Asparagus On The Grill
- How To Grill Asparagus: Easy Grilled Aspragus Recipe
This post is sponsored by Boiron. All opinions are my own and I only share products I personally love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this site possible!
This grilled asparagus recipe is the perfect pairing for grilled salmon or chicken! Oven roasted asparagus is my go to year round, but during the warmer months, cooking asparagus on the grill is way better. It turns a simple summertime veggie into a slightly smoky, savory side dish.
Let me show you how to grill asparagus (three different ways!), the best ways to serve and store it, and how to enjoy more grilled goodies with less stress.
Grilled vegetables taste amazing, especially when the weather is nice enough to do it outdoors! What isn’t so nice is the churning and burning that sometimes comes with these dishes. That’s why I always keep Acidil Meltaway Tablets on hand for friends and family that experience heartburn or indigestion after enjoying grilled food — they can even be taken without water! Since they are non-drowsy and contains no fake preservatives, colors, or sweeteners, they’re a natural choice for enjoying barbecue without the burn.
(Including stores near you that carry it!)
Why You’ll Love Grilling Asparagus
- Bright, summery asparagus flavor
- A touch of smoky char from the grill
- Healthy, common ingredients
- Ready in less than 10 minutes
- 3 ways to cook: directly on the grill, on skewers, or in foil
Grilled Asparagus Recipe Ingredients
This section will explain how to choose the best ingredients for grilled asparagus, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Asparagus – The best way to grill asparagus starts with quality… asparagus! Look for firm tips and stalks with no shriveled ends, and cut off the woody parts at the bottom of the stalks.
- Olive oil – With so few ingredients, use a quality extra virgin variety if you can. However, any olive oil (or even avocado oil) will work.
- Garlic powder – Optional, but pairs so well with the fresh flavor of asparagus.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Lemon wedges – Also optional, but add a zip of flavor at the end.
How To Grill Asparagus
This section will show you how to cook asparagus on the grill (and how to grill asparagus in foil as another option!) with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Preheat. Heat your grill at medium-high heat for at least 15 minutes to warm it up. (Or, heat a grill pan on the stovetop for 5 minutes at medium-high heat.)
- Prep asparagus. Add asparagus to a baking dish, drizzle with oil, and top with seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Wrap. If using foil, add asparagus to the foil and fold to seal the edges like a packet. If adding asparagus directly to the grill, skip to the next step.
- Grill. Add asparagus to the grill, perpendicular to the grates. Grill, turning occasionally, until bright green and tender.
How long to grill asparagus?
How long to cook asparagus on the grill depends on the cooking method and thickness of the stalks:
- Asparagus on the grill directly: 2-4 minutes
- Grilled asparagus in foil: 12-18 minutes
Look for these doneness indicators:
- Crisp tender texture, or fork tender if you like it softer
- Bright green color, with char marks if cooking direct on the grill
Tips For The Best Grilled Asparagus
Wondering how to make asparagus on the grill that tastes truly amazing? Keep these tips in mind:
- Thicker asparagus is easier to grill. This is because they are less prone to overcooking and you can get a nice char while keeping the crisp tender texture. But, any thickness will work! If your spears are very thin, then grilling asparagus in foil might work better.
- Coat thoroughly in oil. Oil keeps the asparagus from scorching (and helps make those perfect grill marks), so make sure every spear gets completely coated.
- Change up your seasonings. I love a simple grilled asparagus seasoning of just salt, pepper and garlic powder, but feel free to try other spices like paprika, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper seasoning, or onion powder. You can garnish with fresh herbs, top with grated hard cheese, or even make a grilled asparagus marinade using olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Skewers make flipping easier. If you’re grilling asparagus without foil but are afraid it’ll fall through the grates, or want to make it easier to flip, you can skewer the asparagus onto 2 rows of bamboo skewers. Line up 4-6 spears and skewer crosswise through the bottom half, then skewer again through the top half. (I usually skip the effort of this extra step, but it does make flipping easier!)
TIP: Soak your skewers if you use this method. Soak them in water for at least 1 hour before grilling, so that they don’t start on fire.
- Poke for doneness. If you’re not sure how long to cook asparagus on the grill judging by its size, give it a poke with a fork. If it’s tender, it’s time to come off the grill.
- To store: Store leftovers in a covered container for up to 4-5 days.
- To reheat: Reheat in a 350 degree F oven, or place on the grill again for a couple of minutes, until warmed through. Or, if you don’t care so much about grill marks, reheat asparagus in a hot skillet with a little oil.
- To freeze: You can freeze grilled asparagus, but the texture will get a little mushier. Asparagus can store in a freezer-safe container for at least 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before enjoying.
What To Serve With Grilled Asparagus
This asparagus makes a versatile and delicious addition to so many dishes!
- Grilled meats and fish – Pair this asparagus with grilled salmon, juicy burgers, or bruschetta chicken.
- Savory brunch dishes – Asparagus tastes amazing paired with cloud eggs or eggs benedict casserole.
- Buttery sauces – Try this asparagus with easy homemade hollandaise or lemon butter sauce.
More Healthy Asparagus Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Cheesy Asparagus Casserole
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
How To Grill Asparagus:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
How To Grill Asparagus: Easy Grilled Aspragus Recipe
Cooking asparagus on the grill leaves it sweet, tender, and smoky — and this is the only grilled asparagus recipe you'll ever need! Learn how to grill asparagus perfectly every time.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the grill over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes, or a grill pan for 5 minutes.
Arrange asparagus in a baking dish. Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder, if using. Use your hands to toss and turn the pieces, so that they are evenly coated in oil and seasoning.
To grill asparagus directly on the grill: Place asparagus on the grill, perpendicular to the grates. Grill for 2-4 minutes, turning halfway through to lightly char all sides, until tender. (Add an extra couple of minutes if your asparagus is thick.)
To grill asparagus in foil: Place the asparagus on a large piece of tin foil, fold over the foil and seal to form a foil packet. Place the foil packet onto the grill and cook for 12-18 minutes, turning halfway through, until tender.
Serve with a squeeze of lemon.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/4 lb, or 1/4 of entire recipe
Video Showing How To Make Grilled Asparagus:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe — it’s located directly above the ingredients list. It’s the easiest way to learn how to make Grilled Asparagus!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂