This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Once you learn how to make Italian seasoning at home, you’re never going to want to buy the prepackaged version again! Not only does this easy Italian seasoning recipe taste better than store-bought, but you also don’t have to worry about preservatives and other ingredients. And before you start worrying about all of the ingredients it might take, all the Italian seasoning ingredients in this recipe are things you probably already have in your spice cabinet! So fear not. You’ll find so many ways to use this homemade Italian seasoning mix. It goes with all kinds of recipes, so you can add a sprinkle to just about everything!
What Is In Italian Seasoning?
The Italian seasoning ingredients are super simple and may already be in your pantry. Here are the 6 ingredients you need to make a batch of this Italian seasoning blend.
- Marjoram – Similar to oregano, but not quite as pungent.
- Basil – Dried basil adds a slightly sweet and slightly pepper flavor.
- Thyme – Is in the mint family and helps to add complex flavors to dishes and other spices.
- Rosemary – A fragrant evergreen herb.
- Sage – The “sister” plant of rosemary, sage adds a peppery flavor to savory dishes.
Read on below to my recommended ratios of these Italian seasoning ingredients.
How To Make Italian Seasoning
You are going to love how EASY it is to make Italian seasoning at home. It has taken me way longer to write this post than it does to mix the ingredients. 🙂
Okay, here are your super easy 2 steps for how to make Italian herb seasoning:
- Measure out all ingredients and add them to a small bowl. Mix well.
- Store in a jar with a lid in the pantry.
TIP: You can also toss the ingredients directly into the jar, and shake to combine.
Italian Seasoning Uses
You can use this homemade Italian seasoning in all kinds of recipes. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Pasta Sauce – Add the seasoning to homemade pasta sauce to add a kick of flavor.
- Meat – You can sprinkle chicken, salmon, shrimp, or hamburger with this Italian seasoning mix, and the result is amazing! Try out some seasoning on my sirloin steak in the oven too.
- Pizza – Add a few sprinkles of this Italian seasoning recipe on some fathead pizza crust, in the pizza sauce or on the toppings. No matter how you use it, it will taste great.
- Eggs – Make some scrambled or fried eggs and add some of the Italian herb mix on top. So good!
- Roasted Veggies – Put some on your favorite vegetables like radishes, cauliflower, broccoli, or zucchini and roast in the oven or on the grill. You can even put dried herb seasoning on sun-dried tomatoes!
- Bread – Mix the Italian Mix with a little bit of butter or ghee and put it on some slices of bread. Like my easy low carb bread recipe.
How Much Does This Italian Seasoning Recipe Make?
This Italian spice mix makes 24 servings of 1 teaspoon each – that’s 1/2 cup total. So, when you make a batch of this homemade Italian seasoning, it will last a while.
How Long Can You Use Spices After Expiration Date?
If you find yourself with a cabinet or expired spices, you can still use them to make this Italian herb blend. They will not make you ill; they just may not have as bold of a flavor as what they do when they are fresh.
The dried spices that are needed for this Italian seasoning mix will last 2-3 years, and you can use them an additional 6 months – 1 year after the date on the bottle.
How Do You Store Homemade Italian Seasoning?
It’s best to store the homemade Italian seasoning in an airtight glass container. I usually keep a mason jar with the seasoning mix and use a teaspoon here and there as needed. It will keep up to 1 year before it starts to lose flavor. If at any point you notice it doesn’t taste as strong, it’s up to you if you want to keep on using it or make a new batch.
When it comes to spices, in general, there are a few rules or tips that you should consider to get the best flavor. Here are a few tips on keeping your Italian seasoning mix it’s freshest:
- Never store any kind of spice near heat. The flavors will break down, and the spices, and they will lose flavor much faster.
- Always use an airtight container. If not, air and moisture from the air can age them quickly.
- Try to keep spices in a dark place when possible. In a pantry or the refrigerator are good options to keep them cool and fresh.
- Don’t allow seasonings and spices to be exposed to moisture. Moisture from the microwave, steam, or any other manner will make bacteria grow, and they won’t be safe to consume.
- When using a spoon to remove Italian seasoning mix from the jar, make sure it’s clean and dry. Otherwise, you will introduce moisture and bacteria.
Can You Freeze Italian Spice Mix?
Yes, you can freeze this Italian spice mixture. Place it in a glass jar and put in the freezer up to 1 year in the freezer. When you need some, you can just grab out what you need and leave the rest in the freezer.
More Keto Condiments, Dips And Dressings
With many meals, the condiments are the best part, don’t you think? They sure do add some extra flavors and textures. Take a look at some of my favorite keto condiments, dips and dressings:
- Lemon Garlic Tahini Sauce – This is so tangy and creamy! You will want to put it on everything, and it only takes 6 ingredients.
- Creamy Balsamic Dressing – Add some pizzazz to your salads, vegetables or meats with this delicious dressing.
- Jalapeno Ranch Dressing Dip – You are going to fall in love with this perfectly creamy and spicy dressing. So good!
- Keto Paleo Roasted Cauliflower Hummus – You won’t even remember the old stuff when you try this hummus. Seriously it’s so delicious.
And while you’re making homemade seasoning mixes, don’t forget to make some taco seasoning, too!
Tools To Make Homemade Italian Seasoning Mix
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Glass Jar – Storing the seasoning mix in a glass jar is the best way to keep it fresh. You can use any jars you have on hand, but I love this set.
- Spice Organizer – This is by far my favorite organizing tool in my kitchen. It will hold all of your spices so that nothing gets lost and forgotten about in the back of a shelf!
How To Make Italian Seasoning Mix: Ingredients + Recipe
How To Make Italian Seasoning Mix: Ingredients + Recipe
Learn how to make Italian seasoning mix with just 6 ingredients! This easy homemade Italian seasoning recipe adds flavor to so many dishes, and you probably have all the Italian seasoning ingredients on hand to make it.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Stir all ingredients together. Store in an airtight jar.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 teaspoon. Makes 1/2 cup.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂