FREE: 5 SECRETS TO FAST HEALTHY DINNERSGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- What Are Italian Sausage And Peppers?
- How To Make Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers
- Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers FAQs
- Sausage, Peppers And Onions Storage Instructions
- What To Serve With Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers
- More Healthy Crock Pot Recipes
- Tools To Make Italian Sausage And Peppers in a Slow Cooker
- Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers Recipe
Grab your slow cooker and let it do all of the heavy lifting for this easy Italian sausage and peppers recipe! Sausage, peppers and onions are slow cooked with marinara sauce and Italian seasoning, for a delicious Crock Pot sausage and peppers meal that requires only a few minutes of your active time. It’s beyond easy to make this Italian comfort food dinner that’s both healthy and flavorful.
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted a keto slow cooker recipe, and it was about time to bring it back with these slow cooker sausage and peppers.
Since I’m such a huge fan of Italian food – it’s fresh and comforting, yet easy to make healthy – that’s the spin I went with here. I use similar flavors in a super easy sausage sheet pan meal I have in my Easy Keto Cookbook, too.
What Are Italian Sausage And Peppers?
This authentic Italian sausage and peppers recipe combines slow cooked bell peppers, onions, Italian sausages, and marinara sauce.
It all cooks together for an incredibly flavorful and delicious meal. And the slow cooker does what it does best – makes everything super juicy and tender.
How To Make Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers
This Italian sausage and peppers recipe is incredibly simple and takes just a few minutes to prep for cooking. Then, you can let the slow cooker do all the work!
- Brown Italian sausages. Brown sausages on each side in a skillet with olive oil, just until browned.
FYI: The sausages don’t need to be fully cooked here! We’re just browning them in this step to lock in flavor.
- Slice and toss veggies in the slow cooker. Toss together the bell peppers, onions, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- Add marinara. Pour marinara over the veggies, then nestle the sausages on top.
- Cook sausage & peppers. Cook in the slow cooker for several hours, until sausages are cooked through, and peppers and onions are soft.
TIP: Add extra flavor and moisture by spooning some of the liquid from the slow cooker over the sausage and peppers. It’s delicious!
Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers FAQs
Which onion should I use for sausage and peppers?
This Crock Pot recipe for Italian sausage, peppers, and onions will work great with any type of onion. I’ve used white onion in this dish, but feel free to use what you have on hand – red, white, or yellow.
Do slow cooker sausages really need to be browned in a pan first?
Yes and no. You can skip the browning if you’re really in a rush, but I promise it’s worth it if you can brown the sausages first. It only takes a couple of minutes and adds so much flavor.
Are sausage and peppers healthy?
Yes, this sausage & peppers recipe is healthy! It’s loaded with protein and vegetables. It’s a great meal for just about anyone, as it’s grain-free, gluten-free, paleo, whole30 friendly, low carb, and…
Are sausage and peppers keto?
Yes, this sausage, peppers and onions recipe is keto friendly, as well. Each serving has 10.3 grams net carbs.
Sausage, Peppers And Onions Storage Instructions
Can you make this ahead?
Yes, you can easily make this dish a day or two in advance. You could also prep the peppers and onions, so they are ready to go and then you can throw everything in the slow cooker the day-of.
How to store cooked Italian sausage, peppers, and onions:
If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can sausage and peppers be frozen?
Yes, you can also freeze the Crock Pot sausage and peppers for 2-3 months. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating again.
How to reheat slow cooker Italian sausage and peppers:
Reheat in the microwave, or a covered hot skillet with a splash of water or broth, until heated through.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers
Crock Pot sausage peppers and onions don’t need much, so a simple side will do the trick:
- Rolls – Serve with keto garlic cheese bread, fathead dinner rolls, or keto hot dog buns to eat the slow cooker sausage and peppers like a sub.
- Simple Greens – A simple green salad makes a great side to slow cooker sausage peppers and onions, just top with Caesar dressing, Italian dressing, or even Greek dressing.
- Salads – If you want a heartier salad than just greens, try cauliflower potato salad, or going with the Italian theme, avocado Caprese salad.
- Cauliflower Rice – A great base to soak up any extra sauce. Of course, if you or your family aren’t low carb, regular rice works as well.
- Marinara – I recommend extra marinara on the side for dipping!
More Healthy Crock Pot Recipes
If you like this sausage and peppers Crock Pot recipe, you might like some of my other healthy Crock Pot recipes:
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa – Rich and flavorful, like your favorite Mexican restaurant, but super quick to throw together.
- Crock Pot Whole Chicken – Just 15 minutes to prep and you’ve got a whole chicken that practically cooks itself.
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast -It’s easy to make a smaller-scale turkey dinner, and takes only 10 minutes to prep.
- Chicken Cacciatore – Two options for prep: a simple 10-minute option, or option two that takes a little bit longer but adds more flavor to the dish.
- Parmesan Chicken Wings – Yes, you can cook wings in the slow cooker! And these need just 4 ingredients, plus salt and pepper.
Tools To Make Italian Sausage And Peppers in a Slow Cooker
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Skillet – You’ll use this nonstick skillet for everything from omelets to Crock Pot sausage and peppers.
- Slow Cooker – Love the digital timer on this version. It lets me control the time more than the older ones that just have default times for High or Low.
Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers Recipe
This slow cooker Italian sausage and peppers recipe is the perfect pairing of sausage, peppers and onions in a delicious sauce. Just a few minutes prep + 7 simple ingredients needed.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, add the sausage links. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, just until browned on the outside. (They will not be cooked inside.)
Meanwhile, combine the bell peppers, onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker. Toss to coat. Pour marinara sauce evenly over the vegetables.
When the sausage links are browned, place them into the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
Cook for 4-5 hours on Low or 2-3 hours on High, until the sausages are cooked through.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 sausage link + 3/4 cup vegetables
Nutrition info is calculated using no-sugar-added sausages.
Video Showing How To Make Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers:
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂