Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
Grab your slow cooker and let it do all of the heavy lifting for this easy Italian sausage and peppers recipe! Sausage, peppers and onions are slow cooked with marinara sauce and Italian seasoning, for a delicious Crock Pot sausage and peppers meal that requires only a few minutes of your active time. It’s so easy to make this Italian comfort food dinner that’s both healthy and flavorful!
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted a slow cooker recipe, and it was about time to bring it back with these slow cooker sausage and peppers. Since I’m such a huge fan of Italian food — it’s fresh and comforting, yet easy to make healthy — that’s the spin I went with here. I use similar flavors in a super easy sausage sheet pan meal I have in my Easy Keto Cookbook, too.
If you like this sausage and marinara combo, you’ll also find it in sausage stuffed zucchini, crustless pizza, and Italian stuffed artichokes if you dip ’em in marinara. If you want a quicker sausage recipe, try air fryer sausages instead.
What Are Italian Sausage And Peppers?
Italian sausage and peppers combine slow cooked bell peppers, onions, Italian sausages, and marinara sauce. It all cooks together for an incredibly flavorful and delicious meal. And the slow cooker does what it does best: Makes everything super juicy and tender!
Why You’ll Love This Sausage And Peppers Recipe
- Savory, browned sausage
- Sweet, caramelized vegetables
- Just 7 common ingredients (plus salt and pepper)
- Only a few minutes of prep time
- Easy and healthy dinner
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for Italian sausage, peppers, and onions, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Olive Oil – For sauteing the sausages before slow cooking. You can skip the browning if you’re really in a rush, but I promise it’s worth it if you can brown the sausages first. It only takes a couple of minutes and adds so much flavor. Any other cooking oil, such as avocado oil, is fine to use here.
- Sausages – I used mildly spicy pork Italian sausage links, but any kind of sausage will work, including sweet Italian sausage, chicken or turkey sausage, kielbasa, or bratwurst.
- Bell Peppers – Cut them into strips, like you would for fajitas. I used one each of orange, yellow, and red bell peppers, but any colors you like are great.
- Onion – This Crock Pot recipe for Italian sausage, peppers, and onions will work great with any type of onion. I used white onion in this dish, but feel free to use what you have on hand – red, white, or yellow. Slice the onion into half moons, the same width as the pepper strips. You could also throw in some leftover caramelized onions.
- Garlic – Mince fresh garlic cloves for best flavor, or use jarred garlic for convenience.
- Italian Seasoning – I used my 5-minute homemade Italian seasoning, which is a combo of dried oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, and sage. Store bought will work just fine, though. If you like some heat, add a dash of red pepper flakes to the seasoning.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Marinara Sauce – I used homemade marinara, which is quick and easy to make, but store bought is fine to use. You can also substitute crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce, but may need to adjust the salt or seasonings.
How To Make Sausage And Peppers In A Crock Pot
This section shows how to make sausage, peppers and onions, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Brown Italian sausages. Brown sausages on each side in a skillet with olive oil, just until browned.
FYI: The sausages don’t need to be fully cooked here.
We’re just browning them in this step to lock in flavor.
- Slice and toss veggies in the slow cooker. Toss together the bell peppers, onions, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- Add marinara and sausage. Pour marinara over the veggies, then nestle the sausages on top.
- Slow cook. Cook in the slow cooker for several hours, until sausages are cooked through, and peppers and onions are soft.
TIP: Serve sausage and peppers with sauce from the slow cooker.
The liquid adds extra flavor and moisture — it’s delicious!
Can You Cook Sausage And Peppers In The Oven?
Yes, you can make baked sausage and peppers. After browning the sausage, place the ingredients in a baking dish (in the same order as the slow cooker version) and bake at 400 degrees F for 20-30 minutes, until the peppers are soft.
- Store: If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Meal prep: You can easily make this dish a day or two in advance. You could also prep the peppers and onions, so they are ready to go and then you can throw everything in the slow cooker the day-of.
- Reheat: Reheat in the microwave, or a covered hot skillet with a splash of water or chicken broth, until heated through. You can also reheat sausage and peppers in the Crock Pot.
Can You Freeze Sausage And Peppers?
Yes, you can freeze sausage and peppers for 2-3 months. Let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating again.
What To Serve With Sausage, Peppers And Onions
Crock Pot sausage peppers and onions don’t need much, so a simple side will do the trick:
- Bread – Serve garlic bread or rolls (I use keto garlic bread or fathead rolls) on the side, or stuff inside hoagie rolls to eat sausage and peppers like a sub.
- Greens – A simple green salad makes a great side to slow cooker sausage and peppers. Just top with Caesar dressing, Italian dressing, or even Greek dressing.
- Salads – If you want a heartier salad than just greens, try cauliflower potato salad, or going with the Italian theme, avocado Caprese salad.
- Cauliflower Rice – A great base to soak up any extra sauce in the bowl. Of course, regular rice works as well if that fits your lifestyle.
- Marinara Sauce – I recommend extra marinara on the side for dipping!
More Healthy Crock Pot Recipes
If you like this sausage and peppers Crock Pot recipe, you might like some of my other healthy Crock Pot recipes:
Tools To Make Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers
The Best Sausage And Peppers Recipe
Sausage And Peppers Recipe (Crock Pot)
This easy Crock Pot sausage and peppers recipe is combines sausage, peppers, and onions in flavorful tomato sauce. Just 7 simple ingredients!
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, add the sausage links. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, just until browned on the outside. (They will not be cooked inside.)
Meanwhile, combine the bell peppers, onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker. Toss to coat. Pour marinara sauce evenly over the vegetables.
When the sausage links are browned, place them into the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
Cook for 4-5 hours on Low or 2-3 hours on High, until the sausages are cooked through.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 sausage link + 3/4 cup vegetables
Nutrition info is calculated using no-sugar-added sausages.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂