Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
Quick and easy chicken fajitas are one of my absolute favorite weeknight meals. They use simple ingredients that pack a lot of flavor, and you can customize the toppings to your liking. The process for how to make chicken fajitas is super simple, but in this post I’ll show you tons of tips and tricks, including how to cut peppers and onions for fajitas, how to season them, and how to cook them perfectly — for the best chicken fajita recipe!
If you love fajitas and Mexican food in general, be sure to also try Instant Pot steak fajitas, chicken fajita stuffed peppers, shrimp fajitas, sheet pan fajitas, and Mexican ground beef casserole. Don’t forget the guacamole!
What Is A Fajita?
Fajitas are a Tex-Mex dish that consists of little strips of meat, typically cooked with peppers and onions.
Quick chicken fajita recipe overview:
- What do chicken fajitas taste like? Fajitas combine juicy chicken seasoned with Mexican spices (like chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, and oregano) and sweet sauteed peppers and onions.
- Are they easy to make? Yes, they are super easy! And with my tips, you’ll get the best chicken fajitas every time.
- How much time will I need? Chicken fajitas take just 20 minutes start to finish.
Easy Chicken Fajitas Ingredients
What goes in fajitas? This easy chicken fajita recipe comes together with just 5 ingredients, plus salt, pepper, and one optional component:
- Chicken breasts – Chicken breasts are traditionally used for chicken fajita meat, but you could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, though the cook time will change a bit.
- Fajita seasoning mix – I prefer to use this homemade fajita seasoning for maximum flavor and clean ingredients, but you can also use pre-made.
- Olive oil – Use a light olive oil for sautéing. Avocado oil works well, too.
- Bell peppers – It’s best to use a variety of colors, so choose your favorites.
- Onion – I’ve used white onion, but any variety will work.
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Lime wedges – Optional, but a fresh squeeze of lime at the end is highly recommended.
How To Make Chicken Fajitas At Home
How to season fajita meat:
- Season with fajita seasoning. Sprinkle it on both sides of the chicken breasts and use your hands to rub in gently, covering the whole piece of chicken.
How to cut onions for fajitas:
- Cut in half. Cut the onion in half from root end to root end.
- Slice radially. Place cut side of onion face down on the cutting board and slice from the outside of the onion going toward the center.
TIP: Radial cuts create more uniform slices. You can cut the onion straight down if you like, but the result is that the edge pieces will be much smaller and some will be too wide. Instead, cutting from the outside in creates more uniform slices, meaning you’ll cut more sideways on the left and right edges and straight down toward the center. (See below for a visual of how to cut!)
How to cut bell peppers for fajitas:
- Cut off stem. Slice off the top of the bell pepper, removing the stem.
- Cut into quarters. Place the cut side down on the cutting board and cut straight down into four sections. Removing any white stem and seeds from the middle of the sections.
- Slice. Slice each section into strips.
How to cook chicken fajitas:
- Sear chicken. Heat oil in large skillet until shimmering. Add chicken breasts and cook for about 5-7 minutes per side, until cooked through. Remove chicken and cover with foil to keep warm.
TIP: Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Chicken is ready when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Cook peppers and onions. Add bell peppers and onions to the pan. Saute for about 4-5 minutes, until soft and browned. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Slice chicken. While peppers and onions are cooking, slice the chicken breasts against the grain.
- Combine. Once the vegetables are done, add the chicken to the skillet and squeeze lime juice over everything.
Tips For The Best Chicken Fajitas
How do you make the best chicken fajitas? Follow these tips!
1. Season well.
It’s important to season the meat well — it adds flavor and also keeps the chicken juicy. Don’t be shy with the fajita seasoning!
2. Use cast iron.
I highly recommend a cast iron skillet for fajitas, because it gives your chicken an unbeatable sear and browns vegetables perfectly. The heat distribution is unmatched. This skillet is the one I recommend and is pictured in the photos.
3. Don’t overcook.
No one likes dry and tough chicken, so cook yours until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and then remove it from heat right away. I highly recommend using an instant read meat thermometer for this.
4. Serve with toppings.
The best part about chicken fajitas is the toppings and making your own – put out a spread for serving. I’ve got a whole list for you below.
Chicken Fajita Recipe FAQs
Can you marinate chicken fajitas?
Yes, you can! I kept this easy chicken fajita recipe super simple, with just a generous amount of fajita seasoning, but you can marinate the chicken if you want to and have the time.
To make chicken fajita marinade, simply whisk together:
Then, marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes, up to 8 hours. You can proceed with the recipe as written after marinating (don’t sprinkle the chicken with more fajita seasoning, since it’s already in the marinade).
How long to cook chicken fajitas?
For an average chicken breast, it will be about 5-7 minutes, depending on size and heat. If you have small chicken breasts, cut it down to about 4-6 minutes per side.
Use an instant read meat thermometer for perfectly cooked meat.
Are fajitas keto?
The beauty of this chicken fajita recipe is that it will work for almost everyone because they can choose what to put their fajitas in – and what to top them with! Just skip the flour tortillas if you need to.
What type of onion for fajitas?
For traditional fajitas, use a white or yellow onion. Red onions can also be used, but they will taste a little sweeter.
How many pounds of fajita meat per person?
A good rule of thumb is to have about 1/4 pound fajita meat per person if you’re serving with some sides.
Store any leftover easy fajitas in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Reheat gently in the microwave or a hot skillet until heated through.
What to do with leftover chicken fajitas?
There are so many ways to enjoy delicious chicken fajita leftovers! Here are some ideas:
- Salad – Serve over greens with homemade salsa, tomatillo avocado salsa verde, or ranch dressing.
- Rice bowls – Top your favorite rice or cauliflower rice with leftover fajitas and any toppings.
- Omelette or scrambled eggs – Dice up the chicken mixture and use it as an omelette filling along with some cheddar cheese.
Can you freeze chicken fajitas?
Yes, you can also freeze chicken fajitas for 2-3 months. Let thaw in refrigerator overnight before reheating.
What To Serve With Fajitas
There are so many ways to enjoy these homemade chicken fajitas, and the best part is that everyone gets to make their own.
- Tortillas – Traditional options would be corn or flour tortillas. I like to make my own almond flour tortillas, or even cheese taco shells.
- Guacamole – Guac is a must for any Mexican meal! You can also use sliced avocado if you’re in a rush.
- Rotel Dip – Grab your fave chips (I love these healthy chips, or you can try baked tortilla chips) and serve with the dip on the side.
- Black Bean Soup – A side soup is always delicious.
- Salsa – Try fresh tomato salsa or avocado salsa.
- Rice – Feel free to make the regular kind, or try cauliflower rice.
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Margaritas – My skinny margarita recipe is sweet, light, and delicious!
Tools To Make Homemade Fajitas
- Large Cast Iron Skillet – Cast iron is highly recommended for fajitas because it heats up so well and evenly.
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer – Make sure your chicken and meats are perfectly cooked each and every time.
- Chilled Condiment Server – Making this easy fajita recipe for a crowd? Put the toppings in this container and they’ll stay cold!
How To Make Chicken Fajitas
How To Make Chicken Fajitas (Easy Fajita Recipe)
The BEST chicken fajita recipe, in just 20 minutes! Learn how to make chicken fajitas that are both healthy and full of flavor, plus tips and topping ideas.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Season chicken breasts on both sides with fajita seasoning and use your hands to rub it in.
Heat 2 tablespoons (29 ml) of oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, until shimmering. Add the chicken breasts and saute for 5-7 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through (I recommend a meat thermometer to check that it reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C)). Remove chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Add the bell peppers and onions to the pan. (There should be enough oil in the pan as is, but can add more if needed.) Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally but not constantly, until soft and browned. Season with salt and pepper.
When the peppers and onions are almost done, slice the chicken breasts against the grain. Once the vegetables are done, add the chicken to the skillet, and if desired, squeeze lime juice over the fajitas.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 cup, or 1/4 entire recipe
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂