This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Everyone will love this Crock Pot Rotel dip recipe! And what’s not to love… this dip is creamy, cheesy, and full of flavor. I love serving Rotel sausage cheese dip for get-togethers, as it’s easy to make ahead and once you put everything in the slow cooker, your work is done. It’s just as simple as crock pot queso!
Whether you’re making this dip for parties, football food, or just yourself, it’s always good to put out a variety of appetizers, don’t you think? It’s hard to narrow down my favorites, but bacon wrapped asparagus, lemon pepper wings, jalapeno poppers, and zucchini pizza bites all make the list.
Rotel Dip Ingredients
This slow cooker Rotel cheese dip recipe is made with just 4 simple ingredients:
- Ground Italian sausage – I highly recommend making this as a Rotel sausage dip for maximum flavor, but any ground meat will work, such as ground beef, turkey, or chicken.
- Cheddar cheese – You can buy pre-shredded, but shredding yourself will make a smoother texture in your dip.
- Cream cheese – I used plain, but feel free to use savory flavored ones as well.
- Diced tomatoes with green chilies – a.k.a. Rotel!
I also like to add green onions for garnish, but it’s up to you!
How To Make Rotel Dip
- Brown sausage. Add sausage to large skillet and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Slow cook the dip. Stir together browned sausage, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and diced tomatoes in a Crock Pot (I like this one!)…
…And cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours on High, until dip is hot and bubbly. Stir again as needed.
Rotel Cheese Dip FAQs
Can you make Rotel dip with cheddar cheese?
Yes, you can make Rotel dip with cheddar cheese. Some versions are made with processed cheese products, but the real cheddar cheese in this recipe works great.
Can you use a different cheese?
Yes, absolutely! Try swapping the cheddar for pepper jack, Mexican cheese blend, or just about any other cheese you like. Here’s a cheese list with lots of ideas!
Is Rotel dip gluten-free?
Yes, most Rotel dips are gluten-free. It will vary depending on recipes, but the ingredients in this version are all gluten-free. Make sure to serve it with gluten-free crackers or chips.
Is Rotel dip keto friendly?
Yes, most Rotel dips are keto friendly. This particular recipe has less than 1 gram net carbs per serving, making it a great keto snack or appetizer. Just make sure your dippers are low carb – see below for ideas.
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, this slow cooker sausage dip is perfect for parties, as it can easily be prepped ahead, and once it starts cooking, it’s all hands-off. If you want to prep more than a few hours ahead, you can brown the sausage a day or two in advance and then combine all of the ingredients in the crock pot a few hours before serving.
If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze Rotel dip?
This depends. Rotel dips that are made with processed cheese products might freeze just fine, but freezing real cheddar and cream cheeses can negatively affect the texture, so is not recommended.
How to reheat slow cooker Rotel dip:
Reheat the dip in the microwave until hot, or put it back in the Crock Pot and cook on Low, until heated through.
What To Serve With Rotel Dip
Crock Pot Rotel dip can be served with a number of things:
- Fresh veggies – Veggies like celery sticks, sliced cucumbers, and mini bell peppers are great for dipping.
- Crackers – Serve with your favorite gluten-free crackers or try my almond flour crackers.
- Tortilla chips – If you aren’t low carb, you can use regular tortilla chips, otherwise make my keto tortilla chips.
More Cheesy Recipes
If you like this sausage dip with cream cheese and Rotel, you might also like some of these other cheesy recipes:
- Cheesy Loaded Cauliflower Casserole – All the comfort of loaded potatoes, with a veggie hidden in there.
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole – A twist on the sandwich, in a cheesy casserole form. Simple ingredients and minimal prep.
- Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup – The best broccoli cheese soup, ready in 20 minutes and made with just 5 ingredients.
- Keto Cheese Sauce – This one is ready in 5 minutes. Use on roasted broccoli or zucchini noodles.
Tools To Make Rotel Sausage Dip
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Skillet – For browning the sausage. This one conducts heat very well.
- Full-Size Slow Cooker – This is my recommended slow cooker for this Rotel dip Crock Pot recipe.
- Mini Slow Cooker – Put this smaller one out for parties to keep your sausage Rotel cheese dip hot the entire time.
Slow Cooker Rotel Dip Recipe
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Crock Pot Rotel Dip Recipe
An EASY Crock Pot Rotel dip recipe, with just 4 basic ingredients! This creamy, cheesy sausage dip is super quick to make ahead in the slow cooker.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Add all the ingredients to a crock pot and stir until combined.
Cook on high for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until ingredients are melted and dip is bubbling.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂