This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
There is a lot to love about this keto queso dip recipe. It’s flavorful (so many ways to eat it!), it’s made in the slow cooker, and perhaps best of all? Crock Pot slow cooker queso dip is made with 3 INGREDIENTS, which takes all of 2 minutes to throw them together! And then there are the endless ways to eat Crock Pot cheese dip… you can go as simple as mini bell peppers or as complex (and over-the-top?!) as cauliflower nachos.
This keto queso recipe was originally published on January 14, 2017, and was republished in January 2020 to add better tips. Just in time to make it as a Game Day appetizer!
I was originally inspired to make this dip when we had a potluck at work over the holidays, back in 2017. Someone brought a yummy, warm slow cooker queso dip in a miniature Crock Pot. I’m not sure exactly what was in the dip, but right away it sparked two ideas. First, I had to get my hands on one of those little mini slow cookers. It was so darn cute! And second, I wanted to share a simple recipe on how to make queso dip in the Crock Pot slow cooker… like, ASAP.
What Is Queso?
Queso dip is a Mexican style cheese dip made from warm, melted cheeses that are cooked together into a dip-able sauce. Some varieties include vegetables or chorizo, and some just have a little spice.
This queso dip in a Crock Pot is made with salsa that gives it a little spice and a lot of flavor to the cheese – it’s the perfect blend!
How To Make Queso Dip
Are you ready to see how easy the best Crock Pot queso is to make?! TWO MINUTES and TWO STEPS!
- Mix ingredients. Mix together cream cheese, salsa verde, and shredded Monterey jack cheese together in the slow cooker.
- Cook. Cook this Crock Pot cheese dip recipe on low for 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes to get rid of any lumps.
That’s it. Seriously simple, seriously mouthwatering.
Queso Dip Ingredient Variations
You have 2 options for variations to this easy queso recipe:
- Pick your cheese. I chose Monterey Jack cheese to match the other Mexican flavors in the dip, but I’ll bet Colby Jack or cheddar would be great alternatives.
- Pick your salsa. Any salsa you like will work. I used a jar of salsa verde, but have also made it with homemade tomato salsa or tomatillo avocado salsa, too.
I recommend salsa that isn’t too chunky, since queso dip is usually on the smoother side. But if you prefer your dip to be chunky, why not? You could also puree it in a blender at the end to get it extra smooth. (I didn’t puree mine, so the tiny chunks in the pictures are from the salsa.)
Is Queso Low Carb?
Yes, this queso dip with cream cheese is low carb! There are just 2 grams carbs per 1/4 cup serving.
Is Queso Dip Spicy?
Slow cooker queso can be spicy, but the heat level is totally up to you. I used mild salsa verde, so along with all of the cheese, it’s got a little kick and a lot of flavor, but it’s not spicy! Just use a salsa that fits your spice-level.
TIP: If you want to add more spice on top of the salsa, you can always add in a few dashes of hot sauce or cayenne pepper.
Can You Make Slow Cooker Queso Dip Ahead?
Yes, you can make this keto friendly queso dip ahead of time! It takes about 2 1/2 hours to cook and melt in the slow cooker, so it’s easy to start the queso dip in a Crock Pot and then have it ready for a party or get-together a few hours later.
You can also make the easy low carb queso completely and then store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it. But given that it literally takes 2 minutes to throw together, just make it a few hours before you need it!
Can You Freeze Crock Pot Cheese Dip?
I would not recommend freezing this keto queso dip recipe. Dairy does not freeze and thaw well – the consistency changes – so it’s best to eat it within a few days. And honestly? I don’t think that will be a problem!
What To Serve With Queso Dip
There are so many different things that you can serve with your Crock Pot cheese dip. You can obviously keep things simple and serve up your slow cooker queso dip with a variety of veggies, keto chips or crackers, or use it as an easy way to majorly upgrade keto tacos or some of these Mexican favorites:
- Mini Sweet Bell Peppers – One of my favorite things to serve with this dip, the shape of the mini peppers make scooping super easy!
- Celery Sticks – Another great veggie dipping option for this keto queso recipe. Major crunch, minimal carbs!
- Low Carb Tortilla Chips – There’s nothing that goes better with keto queso dip than keto tortilla chips! Try to tell me I’m wrong… 😉
- Crock-Pot Taco Casserole – This easy crock-pot queso will majorly upgrade this crock-pot taco casserole!
- Low Carb Tacos – This guide to keto tacos has everything you need to know about keto and low carb tacos. It’s safe to say this queso will work with any taco you make! Chipotle copycat barbacoa is one of my favorite fillings to pair with queso.
- Cauliflower Nachos – So these nachos do already have cheese, so you have two options. Skip the shredded cheese and drizzle this over the top, OR use both for some majorly cheesy nachos.
Tools To Make Crock Pot Queso Dip:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Mini Crock-Pot – If you serve a lot of warm dips or appetizers, a mini slow cooker is a must! This one is the perfect size for Crock Pot cheese dip.
- Whisk – It’s important to stir the easy slow cooker queso dip every 30 minutes, I love the handle on this one, it’s super comfortable to hold.
- Divided Serving Tray – This tray has room for a variety of veggies and keto crackers, along with a bowl in the middle for this keto queso recipe.
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
How To Make Queso Dip in a Crock Pot (3 Ingredients)
This easy keto queso dip recipe needs just 2 minutes prep + your slow cooker! See how to make Crock Pot queso cheese dip with just 3 simple ingredients. It's always a hit at parties and can be used in so many ways!
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 8 oz Cream cheese (cut into cubes)
- 12 oz Salsa verde
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Mix all ingredients together in a slow cooker. Cook for 2 1/2 hours on low, stirring and whisking every 30 minutes to get rid of any lumps.
- Optional: If you want even smoother dip, you can puree it in a blender at the end. Return to the slow cooker on the Warm setting to keep the dip warm.
Made this recipe? Leave a rating! ★★★★★
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Video Showing How To Make Queso Dip:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Queso Dip!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. We'd LOVE for you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe instructions to social media or websites. You may share a photo with a link back instead.