FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 170,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This post is sponsored by Crock-Pot®. All opinions are my own and I only share products I personally love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this site possible!
I’ve taken the best flavors from tacos and turned them into a super easy keto taco casserole recipe in the Crock-Pot slow cooker. Yes, you’ll love the way this low carb taco casserole tastes (of course!), but you’ll also love that it has just 4 grams net carbs per serving!
And then there’s the cooking method. This Crock-Pot taco casserole recipe is made in the… yup, you guessed right. 😉 So besides a little prep in the beginning, this ground beef taco casserole is mostly hands-off, which is one of the best parts about casseroles!
I also love that while this dish has traditional casserole qualities like being rich, filling, and hearty… it’s also topped with fresh, light, and flavorful toppings. This slow cooker taco casserole recipe is truly the best of both worlds.
If you’ve been following Wholesome Yum, it’s no secret that I love easy keto Crock-Pot recipes!
So, I was particularly excited to get my new 7-QT Crock-Pot Cook & Carry Easy Clean Slow Cooker and try making this keto taco casserole in it, because it was an improvement on the one I had before. Here’s why I like this one better:
- It lets me set the time in 30 minute increments. My previous one just had Low and High, which had default times. With this one, I can select Low or High, and set the exact time I want.
- It has convenient latch handles. That’s why they call it the Cook & Carry! I can seal it shut and take it to a friend’s house.
- It’s easy to clean. Unlike the one before, this Crock-Pot slow cooker has a non-stick ceramic coating, making it easier to clean after cooking.
- It’s 7 quarts. My last one was a 6-quart slow cooker, so the extra space in this one is nice, yet it doesn’t take up any more room in my kitchen.
How To Make Keto Taco Casserole
Making cheesy taco casserole keto is super simple, since the ingredients are naturally keto friendly. And since we’re using the 7 QT Crock-Pot Cook & Carry Easy Clean Slow Cooker, this slow cooker taco casserole recipe is quick and easy!
Let me show you how to make taco casserole in the Crock-Pot Cook & Carry:
- Brown the ground beef. Heat avocado oil in large skillet and add ground beef. Cook, breaking apart, until browned.
- Season the ground beef. Add the taco seasoning and water to ground beef and cook until the extra water evaporates or is absorbed into the meat.
- Transfer beef to the 7 QT Crock-Pot Cook & Carry Easy Clean Slow Cooker. Arrange it evenly on the bottom.
- Grab 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles and drain very well. I had to call out this step because it’s super important! The casserole will be watery if you don’t.
TIP: This makes a pretty spicy ground beef taco casserole. If you prefer it more mild, you can replace one or both of the cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles with plain diced tomatoes instead. (Just watch the size – the ones with chiles are 10 ounces each but the ones without are usually 14.5 ounces, and you want 20 ounces total for the recipe regardless of whether you use the ones with or without the chiles.) Adding sour cream for garnish will also mellow it out.
- Add vegetables to the keto taco casserole. Top ground beef with diced peppers, onions, and drained tomatoes with green chiles.
- Stir together. Although some keto casseroles are layered, for this one we mix it all.
- Cook the Crock-Pot taco casserole. Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook for 2-3 hours on High or 4 hours on Low.
TIP: To turn on the 7 QT Crock-Pot Cook & Carry Easy Clean Slow Cooker, plug it in, press Select until the light next to High or Low is on, then use the Timer arrows up or down to set the time you need.
- Add cheese. When you’re ready to serve slow cooker taco casserole, stir the mixture well first, sprinkle in cheddar cheese, and cook on high for about 5 minutes, until the cheese melts.
TIP: If you didn’t drain the tomatoes well enough, the casserole may be watery when it’s done cooking. You can just use a large serving spoon or ladle to remove extra liquid before adding the cheese.
- Serve with desired toppings. I’m sharing my favorite toppings below!
Can You Make Low Carb Taco Casserole Ahead?
Yes, you can make slow cooker taco casserole ahead! Here are the different ways you can do it:
- Brown the ground beef ahead. Assemble the rest of the low carb taco casserole recipe once you are ready to cook it.
- Use the Cook & Carry function (my preferred method!). You can actually cook the casserole ahead of time at home, but don’t add the cheese or toppings. Seal the lid with the latches, and then you can take it to a potluck or whatever! Just plug it in when you get there and leave on the Warm setting for up to 4 hours. Add the cheese and heat on High for a few minutes to melt it once everyone is ready to eat.
- Prepare the entire easy taco casserole with ground beef ahead and store in the fridge. Re-heat when you are ready to eat it. One of the good things about casseroles is that they generally re-heat so well and this one is no exception.
How To Reheat Keto Taco Casserole
You have 3 options for reheating Crock-Pot taco casserole (#1 is my fave!):
- Use the Crock-Pot slow cooker again! Simply spoon the casserole back into the slow cooker and cook on High until hot. This works best if you didn’t add the cheese yet.
- Reheat in the microwave. This is certainly the fastest option, like if you are reusing the casserole for lunch. (Yay, leftovers!)
- Heat in the oven. If you stored the slow cooker taco casserole in a glass dish in your fridge, you can just throw it in the oven to reheat.
TIP: If you are transferring the casserole to the slow cooker or another dish for reheating, add a fresh sprinkle of shredded cheese on top!
Can You Freeze Slow Cooker Taco Casserole?
Yes, you can freeze this cheesy low carb taco casserole! Simply let it cool completely and store in an air-tight container. It will last 4-6 months.
Thaw overnight, reheat until hot, and add your toppings. Almost as good as fresh from the slow cooker! 😉
Toppings For Crock-Pot Taco Casserole
One of the best parts about Crock-Pot taco casserole? The toppings, of course! Warm and filling ground beef casserole is topped with crunchy and cool toppings like salsa, sour cream, and avocado. Here are my favorite topping ideas for ground beef taco casserole:
- Tomatillo Avocado Salsa Verde – Creamy, cool, and super fresh, this salsa verde will add great flavor to this keto taco casserole recipe.
- Homemade Salsa – This easy, 5-ingredient recipe comes together with fresh tomatoes and adds classic Mexican flavors to your ground beef taco casserole.
- Easy Guacamole – My favorite recipe for guacamole! It gives the easy keto taco casserole creamy flavor – and everyone loves guac!
- Pico de Gallo or simply fresh tomatoes – Diced tomatoes or pico are great toppings if you don’t make your own salsa.
- Iceberg lettuce – Shredded lettuce is a cool and crunchy topping, and adds a little green to the dish, too! Don’t skip it.
- Avocados – If you don’t make guacamole, be sure to top your taco meat casserole with some diced avocado instead.
- Fresh cilantro – Chopped cilantro will add a great, fresh flavor to your low carb taco casserole.
- Sour cream – If your slow cooker beef taco casserole is a bit spicy, a dollop of sour cream will mellow it out a bit.
If you like this taco casserole keto recipe, you probably love tacos as much as I do. Check out my complete guide to low carb tacos – it has everything you need to know about keto tacos.
Tools To Make Ground Beef Taco Casserole :
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- 7 QT Crock-Pot Cook & Carry Easy Clean Slow Cooker – My new favorite slow cooker. And you kinda need a Crock-Pot slow cooker to make Crock-Pot taco casserole! 😉
Crock-Pot Low Carb Keto Taco Casserole Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Crock-Pot Low Carb Keto Taco Casserole Recipe
This easy low carb keto taco casserole recipe has just 4 grams net carbs! See how to make Crock-Pot taco casserole with just 10 minutes prep and simple ingredients - the slow cooker does all the work.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get The Easy Keto App by Wholesome Yum
Custom low carb meal plans, recipes, and macro tracking to make keto easy - from your iPhone, Android, & computer.GET THE KETO APP
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
In a large saute pan, heat avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef. Cook, breaking apart with a spatula, for 8-10 minutes, until browned.
Add the water and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, then simmer for a 2-5 minutes, until it thickens and taco meat forms.
Transfer the beef to the 7 QT Crock-Pot Cook & Carry Easy Clean Slow Cooker. Add the diced peppers, onions, and drained diced tomatoes with green chiles. Mix everything together.
Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook for 4 hours on Low or 2-3 hours on High. At this point you can take your Crock-Pot Cook & Carry anywhere you need to (use the side latches to seal the lid), and just plug it in to keep it warm when you get there.
Right before serving, stir the casserole. (You can spoon out any excess liquid that may have accumulated, but there shouldn't be much if you drained the tomatoes well.) Set the Crock-Pot slow cooker to High and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, until the cheese melts.
Top your casserole with any toppings you like, such as lettuce, tomatoes, avocados and/or cilantro.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups, or 1/6 entire recipe
Nutrition info does not include optional toppings, since what you add, and how much, will vary.
* This makes a pretty spicy taco casserole. If you prefer it more mild, you can sub one or both of the cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles with plain diced tomatoes instead. Adding sour cream for garnish will also mellow it out.
Video Showing How To Make Keto Taco Casserole:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Taco Casserole!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂