This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Low carb or not, everyone loves this keto big mac casserole recipe! And what’s not to love? Layers of roasted zucchini, seasoned ground beef, plenty of cheese and keto thousand island dressing, and of course, fresh toppings. Tastes just like your favorite burger… without the carbs.
I don’t really eat fast food anymore, but if you get a burger craving when you’re out and about, don’t miss my best keto fast food guide to find low carb choices just about anywhere. And, what I do still love is making healthier fast food re-makes at home! Big Mac salad has been popular on the blog for years, but you may also like a burger in a bowl or classic cheeseburger casserole.
THE EASY KETO FREEZER SYSTEM
Make 12 meals in 2 hours, plus recipes and freezer guides!
What Is Big Mac Casserole?
This easy keto big mac casserole takes the traditional Big Mac flavors (hamburger, cheese, pickles, Thousand Island dressing) and combines them in a healthy keto casserole. I also added a zucchini layer at the bottom, for extra veggies.
Is big mac casserole keto?
Not all big mac casseroles are low carb, since some incorporate potatoes or bread dough. Always check ingredients to know if your casserole recipe will fit keto macros. However, this cheeseburger casserole recipe is keto friendly! Each serving has 3.8 grams net carbs. You can find the full nutrition info below on the recipe card.
Why You’ll Love This Big Mac Casserole Recipe
- Packed with Big Mac flavors
- Beefy, cheesy, and loaded with fresh toppings
- Easy to make or prep ahead
- Less than 4 grams net carbs per serving
- Naturally low carb and gluten free
Keto Big Mac Casserole Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto friendly big mac casserole, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
For the zucchini layer:
- Zucchini – My version of this casserole has zucchini on the bottom, because I didn’t want it to be all meat. You can also swap in other keto vegetables, such as cauliflower, broccoli, or peppers. Just cook them before adding to the casserole.
- Olive Oil – For roasting the zucchini. You can also use avocado oil instead.
- Sea Salt
For the meat layer:
- Olive Oil – Or avocado oil.
- Ground Beef – I prefer grass fed beef for the best flavor and nutrition, but any ground beef will work. I use 85/15 moderately lean ground beef and let it cook until the extra moisture evaporates, but if you use a higher fat content, you may want to drain off some of the excess grease. Ground chicken or ground turkey would also work fine.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Onion – White onions are the classic option, but yellow or red is also fine.
For the assembly layer:
- Thousand island dressing – You can buy it pre-made, but they usually have added sugar, so I recommend making your own keto thousand island dressing in a medium bowl before you begin. This is our ‘big mac sauce’!
- Shredded cheese – I used cheddar, but you can use any keto cheese you like.
Big mac keto casserole toppings:
- Iceberg lettuce – I prefer to cut my own, but you can also find shredded iceberg lettuce in the bagged lettuce section of the grocery store.
- Tomato – I prefer roma tomatoes, but any tomato will work.
- Pickles – Sliced into circles. Make sure to choose dill pickles that are made without sugar… or make homemade pickles!
- Thousand island dressing – More of the same kind you used above.
- Sesame seeds
How To Make Big Mac Casserole
This section shows how to make low carb big mac casserole with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Roast zucchini. Arrange zucchini slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush with oil, and season with sea salt. Roast until tender.
TIP: After roasting, gently pat zucchini dry with paper towels to soak up any extra water or oil. This will prevent a watery casserole.
- Brown ground beef. Heat oil in a saute pan or large skillet, and add ground beef. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook until the beef browns and any extra moisture evaporates.
- Add onion. Stir in diced onion and cook until translucent or starting to brown (up to you!).
- Assemble. Arrange zucchini slices at the bottom of a casserole dish, overlapping slightly. Top with dressing, ground beef mixture, and shredded cheese.
- Bake. It’s done when the casserole is warm and the cheese is melted.
- Top. Add fresh toppings and drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Store the casserole (preferably with the toppings separate!) in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze big mac casserole?
Yes, you can freeze the casserole, but don’t add the toppings. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months. Add fresh toppings once you’ve reheated it.
Reheat the casserole (without toppings) in a 350 degree F oven or in the microwave. Once it’s hot, add toppings.
More Easy Low Carb Casserole Recipes
If you like this big mac casserole keto recipe, you might also like some of these other low carb casserole recipes:
- Reuben Casserole
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Mexican Casserole
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
Tools To Make Big Mac Bake
- Saute Pan – Use this nonstick pan for everything from omelettes to browning ground beef. Nothing sticks!
- Baking Dish – Sturdy and beautiful! Take your casserole straight to the table with this baking dish.
Big Mac Casserole Recipe
Keto Big Mac Casserole Recipe (Easy & Healthy!)
This keto big mac casserole recipe combines classic Big Mac flavors in a healthy casserole. Just 3.8g net carbs and simple ingredients!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Arrange the zucchini in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Brush with olive oil, then sprinkle both sides lightly with sea salt.
Roast the zucchini slices in the oven for about 20 minutes, until tender.
When done, remove the zucchini from the oven but leave it on at 400. Pat the zucchini with paper towels to soak up any extra water or oil.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon (7.39 ml) of oil in a saute pan or cast iron braiser on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, until browned.
Add the diced onion. Cook for 7-8 minutes, until onions are translucent and starting to brown.
Arrange the zucchini slices at the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish, overlapping slightly. Pour 3/4 cup dressing over the zucchini and spread evenly. Top with the meat, then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted.
Top the casserole with lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles. Drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup dressing. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram, or in our free low carb support group, too – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 1/8 entire casserole
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂
I made this recipe yesterday. I was so tasty that it was difficult to only eat one serving! I really appreciate the option to toggle between metrics and US measurements because the first time I make a recipe, I like to be very precise.
I found this recipe very easy to make. I made the roasted zuchini earlier in the afternoon, the meat a little later and then put the casserole together just before dinner. It was perfect.
Is 1/2 Tbsp of salt for the meat a typo? seems like 1/2 tsp would be enough!
Wholesome Yum D0
Hi Geri, That’s correct, but feel free to use less if you wish.
Ok, maybe you don’t like Zucchini or have any on hand. Problem solved…skip it altogether. Dice up enough red pepper to cover the bottom of your bakeware, maybe 3 or so -depending on the size. Then, saute them up well(even burnt was ok, lol). When ready, continue on with the recipe, adding any butter left in with the peppers as well. Enjoy.
This was an amazing recipe. I took it to our home group Bible study and got several compliments. We have a pot luck meal every week so this was a pleasant surprise. Thank you Maya.
Wow, I’m impressed! I expected it to be “burger-like”, but in the end not really. Boy, was I surprised! It tastes like a Big Mac without the bun! I’ll be making this one again.
I live in Turkey, sometimes it’s hard to get ingredients, but for this dish I had everything. Thank you.
This recipe was way better than the McDonald’s Burger! I’m not even a fan of Thousand Island, but yours I could definitely use in other recipes. Thank You so much!
This was a delicious meal. We did skip the zucchini but add crushed parmesan chips for a breading texture. We will be making this a regular for dinner.
Delicious and so easy to make!! Really does taste like a big-mac! I made this one night and the corned beef casserole using the thousand island dressing and both were fabulous!
This was so good and very easy to make! Tastes very similar to the actual Big Mac, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised. We’ll definitely put this into our regular rotation. Thank you!!
Yes! What a fun way to still enjoy those big mac flavors! This big mac casserole was so delicious and easy to make. It was a huge hit with the kids. Definitely making this again soon!
So good! It really does satisfy those big mac cravings without making me feel all gross and bloated afterward!
Wow, this looks like an easy, super satisfying casserole! I love the tips you provide to pack the flavors in. I just want to dig in!
I love pickles so this recipe will definitely be on my to-make list! I love how this is a healthy big mac and I can’t wait to make this for me and my family. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Wow, my very first Mcdonald’s burger was a Big Mac. I lived the dressing the lettuce and pickles. This sure brings back foodie memories. If it tastes like a big mac then I am in!❤
Such an amazing one Pan dish! Just like the burgers but better for you and an easy clean-up.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is the pickles! The pickles just really make this feel like a cheeseburger!
What a good recipe and easy to follow too. I will refer this to KETO loving friends.
I absolutely love that you made this a keto casserole because it is so much healthier. The recipe was really easy to make and so delicious.
Okay, this is genius!! I have got to give this a go, thank you so much for the recipe. Bookmarked to make this weekend 🙂
You had me at healthy big mac!! Yum, easy, & so tasty!
What a great idea!! The same delicious flavor, but less carbs!!
Wholesome Yum A0
Making this right now. The only problem is the 1000 Island was very vinegary so I had to add more mayo. Can’t wait to try it.
Absolutely my kind of meal!
I could seriously put Thousand Island dressing on eeeverything! Cannot wait to use up the last of my summer zucchini making this 🙂
This was delicious! We had it for dinner last night and I cannot wait to add it back into our menu routine.
Pinning for later as well!
I am always looking for family-friendly keto recipes and this recipe was a hit!
It is so good and delicious! Really easy to make!
Looks so darn delicious. You have succeeded in making me hungry again! Thanks for all your wonderful recipes and inspiration.