This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Autumn is here and it means cooler weather is coming. It also means that it’s the un-official start of casserole season! Now, in Minnesota we take our casseroles very seriously, and so it’s only natural that I’m taking this keto green bean casserole recipe very seriously. I make casseroles all year long, but especially love them on crisp fall and winter days when low carb green bean casserole is the only side dish that will do! I’ve updated a classic winter and holiday dish to this healthy green bean casserole that’s made with whole food ingredients, and is keto, low carb, gluten-free, and packed with fresh produce. Keep reading, and I’ll show you just how to make this gluten-free green bean casserole!
Other than soup, casseroles are one of the main staples at our house in the winter months. Some of our favorite all-in-one dinners are chicken bacon ranch casserole or low carb chicken cordon bleu casserole. I absolutely love those for their convenience. Plus, they leave everyone happy, freeze well, and make great leftovers for lunch.
Can you believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner? Since that’s when most people are interested in a keto green bean casserole recipe (or low carb green bean casserole, depending on your needs), it was the perfect time to post it.
I originally published this gluten-free green bean casserole recipe on September 16, 2017 (the peak month of green bean season – did you know?), but updated it in November 2019 with fresh tips. It’s still the same great recipe!
How To Make Keto Green Bean Casserole
Keto green bean casserole is an easy veggie dish you’ll want to make all fall and winter long!
You only need a few simple ingredients for making your green bean casserole keto friendly…
- Make the gluten-free cream of mushroom soup recipe. You can make the soup in advance to save time. Or, if you happen to have a different cream of mushroom soup recipe you like, feel free to use that.
- Saute the mushrooms and onions. In a skillet, saute the onions and mushrooms in avocado oil until lightly browned.
- Cook the green beans. You can microwave the green beans or cook on the stove until crisp-tender.
- Assemble the keto friendly green bean casserole. Place the green beans, mushroom and onion mixture, and cream of mushroom soup into a glass or ceramic casserole dish.
- Make green bean keto casserole topping. Mix together the almond flour and dried minced onions. Stir in the avocado oil until crumbly. Crumble over the casserole.
- Bake your green bean casserole until topping is golden. Eat up!
Is Green Bean Casserole Healthy?
Yes, this keto green bean casserole recipe is healthy! Many green bean casserole recipes aren’t, though.
And good news, it’s actually really easy to make your own low carb gluten-free green bean casserole! The main sources of carbs and gluten are the sauce (often using starchy, processed, canned cream of mushroom soup) and the topping (usually with breadcrumbs). I replaced both with keto versions.
How Many Carbs In Green Bean Casserole?
If you’re looking for an easy low carb green bean casserole, you have come to the right place. Each serving of this keto green bean casserole recipe has 7 grams net carbs.
Traditional green bean casserole has 20 grams of carbs per serving – what a difference!
Are Green Beans Low Carb?
Yes, green beans are low carb, which makes them perfect for low carb green bean casserole. One cup of green beans has 4 grams net carbs.
Do You Have To Trim The Green Beans?
It’s up to you! You may notice that I didn’t in the photos. Feel free to trim yours if you prefer, which I discovered I actually do prefer to do when I made this keto green bean casserole recipe again. 😉
Can You Make Low Carb Green Bean Casserole Ahead?
Yes! You can make the whole thing ahead, or just make components of this keto recipe for green bean casserole ahead:
- Make the cream of mushroom soup
- Saute the mushrooms and onions
- Cook the green beans
- Assemble the casserole
When you’re ready to serve it, make the onion topping and bake the gf green bean casserole.
More Keto Low Carb Holiday Recipes
If you’re planning on a low carb keto Thanksgiving, I have you covered with just about everything you’ll need to make on the big day:
- Brussels Sprouts Casserole Au Gratin – This brussels sprouts recipe is creamy and cheesy and oh-so rich.
- Low Carb Sweet Potato Casserole – Yes, low carb sweet potato casserole does exist and it’s perfection and tastes too-good to be true.
- Low Carb Cauliflower Stuffing – Is there anything cauliflower CAN’T do? The answer is no and this stuffing recipe proves it.
- Low Carb Cranberry Sauce – Store-bought versions are loaded with sugar, so make your own instead.
- Garlic Butter Herb Roasted Turkey – Don’t forget about the main event! This herb butter keeps turkey juicy, just the way you want it!
- Keto Pumpkin Pie – Yes, it’s possible to have your pie and eat it, too! Everyone at the table will love this sweet pumpkin pie that’s also keto!
- Keto Pumpkin Cheesecake – If you’re looking to impress, this is the dessert to make!
Tools To Make Healthy Green Bean Casserole:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- White Casserole Baking Dish – A pretty white update to your casserole dishes. Nice enough to put right on the table!
- Ceramic Nonstick Skillet – Easy to clean and nothing sticks, these are my favorite!
- Instant Read Thermometer – Not necessary for this recipe, but definitely necessary for Thanksgiving!
More Low Carb Recipes To Love
Low Carb Gluten-Free Keto Green Bean Casserole Recipe
An easy keto green bean casserole recipe! See how to make gluten-free low carb green bean casserole, with simple ingredients. You can even make this healthy green bean casserole ahead.
RECIPE VIDEOClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (191 degrees C).
- Saute the mushrooms & onions: In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onions and mushrooms in avocado oil for about 7-10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Cook the green beans: Cook the green beans either in the microwave or on the stove until they are crisp-tender. For the microwave, place the green beans in a large bowl with 1/2 cup water (118 mL) and nuke, stirring at 2 minute intervals, until done (about 6-8 minutes total). For the stove, boil the green beans covered in water for 3-5 minutes.
- Assemble the casserole: Place the cooked green beans, mushroom/onion mixture, and cream of mushroom soup into a glass or ceramic 3-quart casserole dish. Stir together until well combined.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, stir together the almond flour, and dried minced onions. Stir in the avocado oil until crumbly. Crumble the topping over the casserole.
- Bake: Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the topping is golden.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Video Showing How To Make Low Carb Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole Recipe (Quick & Easy):
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Low Carb Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole Recipe (Quick & Easy)!
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Did you make this recipe?
Join the Easy Keto Challenge to enter monthly giveaways every time you share your pics of my recipes!