This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
I make this fresh, homemade low carb keto cranberry sauce recipe for Thanksgiving every year. And every single year, everyone at the table — including the extended family that isn’t even trying to eat healthy — eagerly gobbles it up. That’s because this healthy sugar-free cranberry sauce tastes exactly like the traditional sugary version, so everyone at your Thanksgiving or Christmas gathering can enjoy it.
So, what’s the difference between a sugar free cranberry sauce recipe and regular cranberry sauce? The sweetener! Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend is my top choice because it blends perfectly into the sauce, keeps longer without crystallizing, has no aftertaste, and contains 0g net carbs!
Why You’ll Love This Sugar-Free Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- Sweet & tart flavor
- Customizable texture – more runny, more jelly-like, or in between
- Only 4 ingredients and 2 steps
- Done in 10 minutes
- Just 4g net carbs and 32 calories per generous serving (1/4 cup)
- Naturally gluten-free and keto
Ingredients You’ll Need
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto jellied cranberry sauce, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Cranberries – Fresh cranberries taste best, but frozen cranberries will work as well. Cranberries actually have a small amount of natural sugar, which helps the sauce thicken and gel a little, just like you’d expect from a traditional cranberry sauce. If you have extra cranberries left over, use them to make sugar-free dried cranberries.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend – This works best because it dissolves completely and won’t crystallize. If you’ll be using your sugar-free cranberry sauce right away, powdered erythritol or other powdered sugar substitutes can work (see my sweetener conversion chart for amounts), but Besti is the only one to use if you want to avoid your sauce becoming crunchy after storage — and it tastes the closest to real sugar.
- Water – Helps to thin the sauce so everything blends evenly.
- Orange Zest – Add as much or as little as you like, depending on how much you like orange. If you can’t get a fresh orange, then a little orange extract (to taste) is the next best option.
- Vanilla Extract – Use a high quality vanilla extract for the best flavor.
How To Make Keto Cranberry Sauce Without Sugar
This section shows how to make low carb cranberry sauce, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Simmer. Mix cranberries, water, powdered Besti, and orange zest in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer, until the cranberries pop and a sauce forms.
- Finish. Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract. Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled. (Sugar-free cranberry sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.)
TIP: You can adjust the consistency by adjusting the cook time.
Cook the sauce for less time for a texture similar to preserves with some whole berries intact (as pictured), or cook it for longer to get a jelly-like sauce more similar to canned versions.
Low Carb Cranberry Sauce Variations
If you’re looking for a healthier cranberry sauce with different flavors, there are plenty of options available. Check out some of these other delicious variations:
- Keto maple cranberry sauce – Use 1/2 cup keto maple syrup instead of the sweetener.
- Add warm spices – Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, and 1/8 tsp salt to your healthy cranberry sauce before cooking on the stovetop.
- Orange ginger cranberry sauce – Add 1/8 tsp of grated ginger and double the orange zest.
- Hot and spicy cranberry sauce – Add jalapenos or chipotles in adobo before simmering.
- Apple cranberry sauce – Use 1 cup unsweetened applesauce instead of water. (This option is healthy but not keto friendly! You can use apple extract instead for a keto version.)
- Add red wine – Instead of using water to simmer the sauce, use 3/4 cup of red wine. Red wine adds a depth of flavor that’s irresistible. You could even add in some walnuts for a little crunch as well.
- Store: Sugar free jellied cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools. To store, let it cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 1-2 weeks. (Fun fact: The allulose in Besti is a natural preservative, so this keto cranberry sauce will keep for longer than regular versions!)
- Freeze: If you want to keep this homemade sugar free cranberry sauce for a longer period of time, place it in a freezer-safe container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Healthy & Keto Thanksgiving Recipes
Fortunately, this healthy homemade cranberry sauce is quick and easy to whip up. It doesn’t take time or effort away from whatever other dishes I’m experimenting with. And, it means you can make it in just ten minutes, leaving you more time to focus on other Thanksgiving recipes:
- Turkey – My easy roasted Thanksgiving turkey is juicy and flavorful, but you can’t go wrong with a spatchcock turkey with juicy meat and crispy skin. If you want an easier way to make turkey for a smaller gathering, try slow cooker turkey breast or turkey legs instead. And, don’t forget to top your turkey with low carb keto gravy!
- Potato Swaps – If you’re looking for some low carb options to potatoes, make low carb sweet potato casserole or mashed cauliflower… or make conventional roasted potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes if you’re just reducing sugar but not carbs.
- Sides – Many Thanksgiving sides are packed with carbs, but not my cauliflower stuffing, cauliflower mac and cheese, keto green bean casserole, roasted green beans (shown in the photo!), or kale brussel sprout salad.
- Desserts – You can’t have Thanksgiving dinner without dessert! If you’re watching your carbs, you can still have a serving of low carb pumpkin pie, sugar-free pecan pie, low carb apple pie, or keto pumpkin cheesecake.
Tools To Make Healthy Cranberry Sauce
- Medium Saucepan – This is the cookware set I prefer to use. It is stainless steel and dishwasher safe.
- Utensil Set – High heat safe and BPA free, this cooking utensil set is the perfect choice when making this low carb cranberry sauce. Unlike wooden spoons, it won’t stain from the cranberries (which is what happened to the spoon in the pictures above!).
Sugar-Free Keto Cranberry Sauce
Sugar-Free Keto Cranberry Sauce (4 Ingredients!)
This healthy, keto, sugar-free cranberry sauce needs just 4 ingredients + 10 minutes! Made with fresh cranberries, it's sweet, delicious, and better than store bought.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Combine the cranberries, water, Besti, and orange zest in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the cranberries pop and a sauce forms.
Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂