FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Do you need to a little extra help to convince your family to eat their veggies? I hear you! And I’d suggest this low carb keto brussels sprouts recipe. Cheese, bacon, and packed with vegetables? This brussels sprout casserole with bacon fits the bill even for picky eaters. We’re topping roasted brussels sprouts (already yummy!) with a cheesy sauce with bacon… and if anyone needed convincing, they won’t after trying this!
When I’m in a hurry on a weeknight, roasted vegetables are unquestionably my go-to side dish. Simple roasted vegetables with olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper are a classic, but sometimes you need a little variety. And my cheesy brussels sprout casserole with bacon will do the trick.
Despite the sometimes controversial brussels sprouts, this keto brussels sprouts recipe with bacon and cheese works really well as a crowd-pleasing side.
The secret is the cheesy sauce… it’s like a brussels sprouts au gratin! It will turn even the most avid sprouts hater into a new fan. It’s that good! I use a similar sauce in my cauliflower mac and cheese recipe, and even posted it as a standalone keto cheese sauce (use it for dipping!).
This cheesy brussels sprouts casserole recipe was originally published on January 9, 2016, and was republished in March 2020 to add more detailed photos and tips. If you’re curious, here is one of the original photos:
How To Make A Brussels Sprout Casserole
Let’s get to this keto brussels sprouts casserole! Will you believe me when I tell you that it takes just 10 minutes to prep?! It’s true!
Here’s how to make brussels sprout casserole with bacon:
- Roast brussels sprouts. Toss the brussels sprouts with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast until edges are brown and crispy.
TIP: Be sure the sprouts are spread out in a single layer on the pan, otherwise they won’t brown well.
- Make cheese sauce base. Melt butter, then mix in almond milk and heavy cream. Heat until hot. Stir in shredded cheddar cheese, until melted.
TIP: It will be somewhat runny, which is okay. It will absorb into the sprouts and thicken more as it bakes and then cools a bit before eating.
- Assemble the low carb brussels sprouts casserole. Transfer the brussels sprouts to a stoneware dish. Pour cheese sauce over brussels sprouts and top with more cheese, and of course, bacon!
TIP: You can make bacon in the oven and chop or crumble it, or use store bought bacon bits if you want to save time. Either way, just make sure the bacon is cooked.
- Bake. Since everything is already cooked, this is just long enough to heat and melt the cheese.
Are Brussels Sprouts Low Carb?
Yes, brussels sprouts are a low carb vegetable. (Get the full list of keto veggies in the low carb food list here.) Each cup serving has 5 grams net carbs.
This keto friendly brussels sprouts recipe has just 6 grams net carbs.
How To Store Cheesy Brussels Sprouts
Store this keto brussels sprouts au gratin with bacon in the fridge for 3-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or a 350 degree F oven.
Can You Freeze Brussels Sprout Casserole?
Yes, you can freeze brussels sprouts casserole recipes in a freezer safe container for 2-3 months.
You can bake right from frozen to reheat, or thaw first overnight so that it heats faster.
TIP: Since the sauce contains dairy, give it a good stir after freezing and reheating to improve texture.
Keto Dinners To Serve With Keto Brussel Sprouts & Bacon
While this casserole is hearty and filling, it does need a keto main dish to go along with it. Cook up your favorite chicken, steak, or seafood – or try one of these recipes:
- Crispy Chicken Drumsticks – An easy main that’s oh-so-satisfying. Everyone loves chicken drumsticks!
- Smothered Pork Chops – This is the ultimate comfort food meal, these pork chops are nice enough for entertaining.
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf – Meatloaf and veggies. It’s all you need.
- Pan Seared Halibut – This lighter dish has plenty of flavor to stand up to the keto brussels sprouts with bacon.
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast – Utilize the slow cooker to make dinner nice and easy! The turkey will cook while you prep the keto brussels sprouts recipe.
More Keto Brussels Sprout Recipes
- Roasted Frozen Brussels Sprouts – Did you know you can roast frozen sprouts? Here’s how.
- Roasted Shredded Brussels Sprouts – A twist on the usual method of just roasting halves.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Carrots – For the most minimal prep time, you can roast them whole instead. Carrots are not very low carb, but my kids enjoy them.
- Shredded Kale Brussels Sprout Salad – My favorite way to enjoy raw sprouts. Plus, this salad stores very well.
- Crispy Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts – The same great combo of sprouts and bacon, made super crispy on the stove top.
Tools To Make Low Carb Brussels Sprouts:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Paring Knife – Trimming the brussels for this keto brussels sprouts recipe is a must, and this knife makes it easy.
- Nonstick Sheet Pan – This is my favorite set of pans. Nonstick (for real!) and cleans up super easy. Roasting keto brussel sprouts with bacon has never been easier.
- Ceramic Baker – Take your brussel sprouts from oven to table with these bakers.
Keto Brussels Sprouts Casserole Recipe With Bacon:
Pin it to save for later!
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Keto Brussels Sprouts Casserole Recipe With Bacon
This low carb keto brussels sprouts casserole recipe with bacon features the creamiest cheddar cheese sauce. Super EASY, with just 7 ingredients!
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line two 9x13 in (23x33 cm) pans with foil, parchment paper, or silicone mats.
Toss the brussels sprouts with olive oil. Season with half of the sea salt and black pepper. Arrange on the pans in a single layer. Roast side-by-side for 35-45 minutes, rotating halfway through, until edges are browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove. Add the almond milk and heavy cream. Heat again until hot.
- Stir in one cup (2/3 of the recipe) of the shredded cheddar cheese, until melted. Season with the remaining sea salt and black pepper.
When the brussels sprouts are finished roasting, transfer them into a smaller 8x11 in (20x28 cm) or 9x9 in (23x23 cm) pan (line it unless it's ceramic or stoneware). Pour the sauce over the brussels sprouts. Sprinkle bacon bits and the remaining shredded cheese on top.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, until bubbly.
Made this recipe? Leave a rating! ★★★★★
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Brussels Sprouts Casserole:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Brussels Sprouts Casserole!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. We'd LOVE for you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe instructions to social media or websites. You may share a photo with a link back instead.