This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
You’ll love this kale and brussels sprouts salad recipe! It’s crunchy with lots two types of green veggies, with lots of salty and sweet flavors to balance out the greens. My kale brussels sprout salad with bacon and cranberries is perfect to make ahead for parties, as it won’t wilt like salads that are made with delicate greens.
Often times people think of salads as summer fare, and a lot of it certainly is, but there are plenty of delicious winter salad recipes you can make using ingredients that are in season during the cooler months. This brussels sprouts salad with cranberries is the perfect example! (Keto Caesar salad is another I make year round.)
Keeping this kale and brussels sprout salad low carb is pretty easy if you make your own sugar-free dried cranberries. But, if the sugar content is not an issue for you, you could use store bought. I’ve seen some varieties sweetened with apple juice, which is still a better alternative to sugar.
How To Make Kale And Brussels Sprouts Salad
This kale brussels sprout salad with bacon comes together in just 15 minutes! Here are the easy steps for how to make this brussels sprout salad recipe:
- Shave brussels sprouts. Using a food processor with the slicing blade (not the shredding or knife!), carefully push the sprouts through while it’s running. You’ll end up with a mixture of sliced and shaved sprouts, just like you see at restaurants!
TIP: Use the pusher, not your hands to push down sprouts. We don’t want any cut fingers!
- Chop kale leaves. Using the same slicing blade, push the kale leaves through running food processor.
TIP: If you don’t have a food processor, you can also thinly slice the kale and brussels sprouts with a knife. I recommend the food processor if you have one because it gets thinner slices than you typically could get manually.
- Make dressing. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, until emulsified.
- Toss chopped kale and brussels sprout salad with dressing.
TIP: Let the salad sit for 10 minutes before serving, which will help let the dressing penetrate the kale and brussels sprouts better.
- Add toppings. Add dried cranberries, bacon, and walnuts and toss together.
Variations For Brussels Sprouts Salad With Cranberries
One of the great things about this shaved brussels sprout salad with bacon is that it’s completely customizable!
- Dried cranberries – You can skip the cranberries if you don’t have time to make them, or swap them with pomegranate arils (if not super strict keto), or even blueberries or raspberries (keto friendly). You do want some kind of sweet berry in there to balance out the salty bacon and blue cheese, but pick one that works for you.
- Cheese – Omit blue cheese for paleo, whole30, and dairy-free option.
- Walnuts – Walnuts can be replaced with pecans or almonds if you just want to change up the nuts, or use pumpkin or sunflower seeds for a nut-free version.
- Dressing – You can add 1-2 tablespoon of powdered sweetener if you like a sweet dressing. (It’s crucial to use powdered so that the dressing isn’t gritty!)
How Many Carbs In Brussels Sprout And Kale Salad?
There are just 4 grams net carbs in this brussels sprouts and kale salad recipe, as long as you use sugar-free dried cranberries. The regular kind have a lot more sugar and would increase the carb count.
The full nutrition stats for this salad can be found below on the recipe card.
Can You Make Kale Brussels Sprout Salad Ahead?
Yes, this brussels sprout salad with bacon and cranberries is a great salad to make ahead, as you can prep most of the components ahead of time. Shred the brussels sprouts and kale, mix together the dressing, and prep any of the toppings that you’ll be using.
When you’re ready to serve the cold brussels sprouts salad with bacon, simply toss the veggies with dressing and add the toppings.
My raw brussels sprout salad with cranberries is perfect for parties, as it can sit out on a buffet table without wilting.
TIP: I would recommend not adding the cranberries, walnuts, and blue cheese until right before serving. While the brussels sprouts and kale are sturdier greens that can hold up to dressing quite well, the toppings will keep their texture better if added last.
How To Store Brussels Sprout Salad With Bacon
This kale and brussels sprout salad with cranberries actually can be stored for later! If you find yourself with some extras, simply store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Brussels sprouts salad with cranberries and walnuts will last for about 1-2 days in the fridge, or store undressed salad for 3-5 days.
More Easy Brussels Sprouts Recipes
If you love this brussels sprout salad recipe I’m going to go out on a limb and assume that you are a fan of brussels sprouts! 😉 So you may also like some of my other brussels sprouts recipes:
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts – The best way to make frozen brussels sprouts, this recipe makes a great side dish to just about anything.
- Brussels Sprouts Casserole Au Gratin – Like your veggies with cheese? This recipe is for you.
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon – Smoky bacon, charred brussels sprouts – there’s so much to love about this recipe.
Tools To Make Brussels Sprout Kale Salad
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Food Processor – This shaved brussels sprout and kale salad comes together quickly with the help of a food processor.
- Wooden Salad Servers – When this brussels sprout salad recipe is ready to serve, grab your salad tongs for easy serving.
- Glass Salad Bowl – This bowl set is one that I use every single day! The sizes vary and they are sturdy enough to use for mixing, but nice enough for serving.
Kale And Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe With Bacon, Cranberries And Pecans
Kale And Brussels Sprout Salad Recipe With Bacon, Cranberries And Pecans
You'll love this healthy, low carb kale and brussels sprout salad recipe! See how to make kale brussels sprout salad with bacon and cranberries, in just 15 minutes.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Kale Brussels Sprout Salad:
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Place the brussels sprouts into a food processor fitted with a slicing blade (NOT a shredding or knife blade!). Push the sprouts into the food processor while running, using the pusher (not your hands). Turn it off.
Turn the food processor back on and push the kale leaves into the running food processor. Pulse until shredded. (Alternatively, you can chop the brussels sprouts and kale by hand with a knife.)
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper, until emulsified. (Tilt the bowl if necessary).
Add the shredded brussels sprouts and kale to the bowl. Add the cranberries, cooked bacon, walnuts (if using), and blue cheese (if using). Toss to coat the kale brussels sprout salad in dressing.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂