FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- What Is Keto Cheese Sauce?
- What Is Cheese Sauce Made Of?
- How To Thicken Keto Cheese Sauce
- How To Make Cheese Sauce
- Can You Make Keto Cheese Sauce For Broccoli Ahead?
- Can You Freeze Keto Cheddar Cheese Sauce?
- What To Serve With Low Carb Cheese Sauce
- Tools To Make Low Carb Cheese Sauce
- Low Carb Keto Cheese Sauce Recipe
This is the keto cheese sauce recipe you’ve been needing in your life! My keto cheddar cheese sauce is a delicious addition to just about anything and everything. It’s only 3 ingredients to make it (plus one optional), and I’d bet you have all of them in your fridge right now! This low carb cheese sauce is smooth, creamy, and full of flavor – no flour necessary. Learn how to make cheese sauce, and you’ll never have to buy the fake orange sauce made with who knows what again!
This easy cheese sauce recipe started out as part of my cauliflower mac and cheese recipe. It has been so popular that it warranted posting the keto cheddar cheese cheese sauce on its own. And yes, keto cheese sauce for broccoli is delicious on vegetables, but it’s also fantastic on keto soft pretzels, zucchini noodles, and so much more.
What Is Keto Cheese Sauce?
This keto cheddar cheese sauce recipe is a cheesy, flavorful sauce that you’ll want to put on just about everything.
What Is Cheese Sauce Made Of?
This keto friendly cheese sauce is made of just a few simple ingredients: cheddar cheese, heavy cream, almond milk (or any low carb friendly milk of choice), and butter. That’s it!
How To Thicken Keto Cheese Sauce
Many cheese sauces are thickened with a flour-based roux, but this keto cheddar cheese sauce doesn’t need any of that! It’s really not hard to make cheese sauce without flour.
We’re thickening our cheese with real cheese. Novel idea, huh?! 😉
How To Make Cheese Sauce
Learning how to make cheese sauce barely takes any effort, because it’s just ONE easy step and 5 minutes:
- Combine the cheddar cheese, heavy cream, almond milk, and butter in a saucepan over low heat.
TIP: Stir keto cheese sauce for broccoli frequently and be careful to not overheat,or the cheese will burn.
Your keto cheese sauce recipe is ready when it’s smooth and melt-y.
TIP: You can adjust the thickness of your sauce. If it’s too thick, add a little more cream or milk of choice. If it’s too thin, add more cheese a bit at a time.
I love to serve it over steamed or sauteed broccoli!
Can You Make Keto Cheese Sauce For Broccoli Ahead?
Yes, you can make this recipe for cheese sauce for broccoli ahead of time. Store this low carb cheese sauce recipe in the fridge for 4-5 days. When you’re ready to eat it, gently reheat it so that it heats slowly.
TIP: Don’t boil it, or the sauce will “break” and get chunky, instead of staying smooth.
Can You Freeze Keto Cheddar Cheese Sauce?
No, I don’t recommend freezing keto cheddar cheese sauce. Dairy does not freeze well as it changes the texture. If you won’t be able to eat all of the keto cheddar cheese sauce recipe, simply cut the recipe in half.
What To Serve With Low Carb Cheese Sauce
I love serving this keto nacho cheese sauce recipe over steamed veggies like cauliflower and broccoli (it’s an irresistible way to get your veggies in!), but the possibilities are endless. Here are a few ideas:
- Fresh Veggies – It’s great for dipping fresh bell peppers or broccoli!
- Keto Soft Pretzels – These fathead pretzels need a dip, and it’s either mustard or the best keto cheese sauce recipe! 😉
- Zucchini Noodles – Yes, low carb broccoli and cheese sauce is a great option, but so is drizzling this low carb cheese sauce on zucchini noodles. It’s a zucchini mac & cheese!
- Spaghetti Squash – Another great keto mac & cheese option. Follow my easy, fool-proof method to roasting spaghetti squash.
- Keto Tortilla Chips – Oh yes, we’re turning this cheese sauce keto recipe into nachos! Top these chips with your favorite keto taco meat, a hefty drizzle of keto cheddar cheese sauce, and salsa.
Tools To Make Low Carb Cheese Sauce
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Stainless Steel Pots & Pans Set – The only pots and pan set you’ll ever need! These are high quality and I love them.
- Whisk – My favorite silicone utensils set. I love utensils that are made with silicone so that they can be used on both stainless steel and nonstick, without scratching or damaging the nonstick pan.
Low Carb Keto Cheese Sauce Recipe:
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Low Carb Keto Cheese Sauce Recipe
This 5-minute, easy keto cheese sauce for broccoli is irresistable! Once you see how to make cheese sauce with 3 simple ingredients, you'll never go back to the processed kind.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Heat, stirring frequently, until the cheese mixture is smooth. Be careful not to overheat or the cheese will burn.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Video Showing How To Make Cheese Sauce:
Scroll up a bit to see the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Cheese Sauce!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂