This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you, which helps keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
There are about a million and a half broccoli cheese soup recipes out there. You may be wondering why you need another one. Well, the recipes I’ve seen tend to use flour as a thickener, have a long list of ingredients, or just take a while to prepare. Today I’m sharing my quick and simple version of low carb broccoli cheese soup.
The beauty of this gluten-free broccoli cheddar soup is that everyone seems to love it, whether they are eating low carb or not. It also happens to be healthy and perfect for clean eating, but that’s just a bonus.
This easy, creamy low carb broccoli cheese soup is probably the easiest recipe you’ll find. It’s also gluten-free, healthy, and can be vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
I love that it takes just twenty minutes to prepare, so I can totally throw it together at the last minute on a busy weeknight. I also like to use it as a starter for guests coming over without spending a lot of extra time. It requires just a few (five!) simple ingredients, and chances are you have most of them on hand.
Believe it or not, the thickener in this gluten-free broccoli cheese soup is simply cheese. No flour, starches, or artificial thickeners are necessary for this one. When I discovered that shredded cheddar cheese works just as well, I honestly wondered why I’ve never seen this before.
Why do so many broccoli cheese soup recipes use some other complicated way of thickening, when it’s so much easier, healthier, and more natural to let the cheese take care of it? Not to mention it’s also more creamy and delicious to just have the cheddar thicken the soup.
I like my low carb broccoli cheese soup with pieces of broccoli in it, but you could puree it if you prefer. It tastes fantastic both ways!
My 10 month old daughter loved the pureed version – quite an impressive feat, considering she’s the pickiest eater you’ve ever seen. That alone is reason enough for me to make this practically every week, all winter long. As a bonus, the only dishes you’ll have to wash after making this are a cutting board, a knife, a single pot, a ladle, and your soup bowl.
So, are you convinced yet? Why not give it a try and make some low carb broccoli cheese soup tonight?
Tips for the Best Broccoli Cheddar Soup
UPDATE: I’m thrilled that so many of you are making this recipe! Along with my bacon wrapped asparagus, low carb cheesecake, and fathead pizza crust, it’s one of the most popular ones on the blog. That being said, I also want to address any issues some people may be having.
For anyone that has problems with clumping during the cheese melting process in this broccoli cheddar soup, I have a few tips!
- Make sure the temperature is not too hot. This is super important! The heat should be very low when adding the cheese. If it’s too hot, the cheese can seize and clump.
- The broccoli florets should be small. The cheese tends to stick to larger pieces more.
- Use pre-shredded cheese OR add a de-clumping agent. The recipe works best with pre-shredded cheese that comes in a bag. If you shred a block of cheese yourself, or if your shredded cheese already seems clumpy to begin with, toss it with a little arrowroot powder or cornstarch first, before adding to the soup.
- Add only a little cheese at a time. If you dump all the cheese in at once, it will clump more.
- Stir, stir, stir! Keep stirring as you add the cheese.
- Backup plan #1: Puree it! If all else fails, just throw the soup in a blender (or use an immersion blender).
- Backup plan #2: Remove the broccoli first! Thank you to a reader for suggesting this. If you’d like, you can scoop out the broccoli florets before adding the cheese and set them aside. Melt in the cheese, then add the broccoli back in afterward.
There you have it! As long as you do these things to ensure the cheese melts well, you’ll get the simplest, best broccoli cheese soup ever. 😉
5-Ingredient Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup (Gluten-free Broccoli Cheddar Soup):
Pin it to save for later!
Want more cheesy, low carb, gluten-free recipes? Try these: