This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This low carb bacon cheeseburger soup is savory, satisfying, and delicious! Keto hamburger soup is made up of rich and flavorful bacon, ground beef, and cheddar cheese. And best of all? If you didn’t know that low carb cheeseburger soup was low carb, you’d never be able to guess! Paired with a salad or low carb bread, it makes the perfect keto dinner for a cool evening and just right for quick low carb lunch idea. I have a feeling that this keto cheeseburger soup recipe is going to be your new favorite ‘go-to’ meal!
This bacon cheeseburger soup recipe was originally published in March 2016, and has been updated in October 2019.
What Is Cheeseburger Soup?
To picture low carb cheeseburger soup, just imagine a warm, soothing, amazingly cheesy bacon cheeseburger in a bowl. That’s what this soup is like. You get smoky bacon, ground beef, thick + cheesy soup base, and cauliflower stands in for potatoes.
It’s hearty enough to be a meal in itself, yet it’s extremely easy to make and takes only 30 minutes from preparation to your table.
If you’ve been wondering how to start a low carb diet plan and struggling because you kept thinking about all the things you were going to miss, this low carb bacon cheeseburger soup recipe is proof that you can still enjoy comfort food.
How To Make Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
Making cheeseburger soup low carb is surprisingly simple. Seriously. Don’t you just love simple keto recipes?
Most of the ingredients in this yummy bowl of comfort food are already no carb already, and this easy keto cheeseburger soup recipe has gotten rid of the ones that aren’t and added in some healthier, delicious alternatives to make sure you still get that thick, creamy soup you’ve been craving.
I lightened up this bacon cheeseburger soup without potatoes by using cauliflower instead. That just means that the other flavors in this soup get to shine through even more – sharp cheddar cheese, smoky bacon, and tender browned ground beef.
Healthy and delicious? Sign me up! Here’s how to make bacon cheeseburger soup in just four simple steps:
- Crisp bacon bits. Brown the bacon bits for a few minutes over medium heat, until crispy. (Or if you make bacon in the oven weekly like me, just crumble that in.)
- Cook ground beef. Brown the ground beef, stirring occasionally, and breaking up with a spoon.
- Cook soup. Add cauliflower to the pot, along with chicken broth, almond milk, parsley, sea salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer until cauliflower is tender.
- Make it cheesy. Remove pot from heat and stir in the cheddar cheese and heavy cream, until smooth.
Keto Cheeseburger Soup Recipe Tips
Here are a few tips to help you make this the best cheeseburger soup recipe you’ve ever had:
Go low and slow with the cheese
Sometimes it can be a bit tricky to get the cheese to melt in your soup just right. The trick is going low and slow. Keep the heat on low and stir it in; it’ll be worth the time!
Keep your cheese from clumping
If you’re concerned about clumpy cheese in your low carb cheeseburger soup you can melt it separately. To do this, ladle at least 2 cups of the liquid/broth (without cauliflower or meat) from the soup into a bowl, then whisk in the cheese.
Once it’s melted, add it back to the soup and stir it into the other ingredients until it’s all mixed together well.
This recipe works best with pre-shredded cheese that comes in a bag because it has cellulose to prevent clumping. If you’re using hand-shredded cheese, or if your shredded cheese already seems clumpy prior to using it, toss it with a little arrowroot powder before you add it to your pot of soup. (Cornstarch works as well, but most people wanting a low carb soup avoid it.)
Also, stir constantly when adding the cheese. This helps reduce clumping. Just keep stirring.
Most hearty soups are starchy because they are thickened with potato and/or flour. But not this low carb cheeseburger soup!
The key to this keto soup recipe is the cheese. It gets thicker from adding the cheese and you can decide how much to add.
BONUS TIP: If you want it even thicker, you can remove some of the liquid together with the cauliflower, puree that in a blender, then stir it back into the soup. So simple. And it works so well. Also, it makes for a really creamy texture.
In fact, that’s one of the secrets to my broccoli cheese soup recipe, which is another popular low carb soup.
Is Cheeseburger Soup Keto Friendly?
Yes, this keto hamburger soup is definitely keto-friendly! Each serving of this delicious soup has just 2 grams of net carbs per serving!
Can You Freeze Keto Hamburger Soup?
When you make your low carb bacon cheeseburger soup, consider making a double batch. It keeps in the fridge for up to a week, so you can have the leftovers for easy lunches.
You can also freeze your keto cheeseburger soup recipes for longer than that. You just want to let it cool to room temperature before freezing. When you’re ready to cook it, just reheat on the stove, stirring frequently so it doesn’t separate.
What To Serve With Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup
While low carb cheeseburger soup is perfect all by itself for a lunch or even a light dinner, it can also be part of a substantial low carb dinner. Try out this keto hamburger soup recipe with keto low carb breads or a simple side salad:
- Low Carb Gluten-Free Keto Soft Pretzels – There’s something about a big soft pretzel with bacon cheeseburger soup! Major comfort food.
- Keto 90-Second Bread – This bread is great for sandwiches, but it’s also perfect for dipping into this bacon cheeseburger soup recipe.
- Easy Paleo Keto Bread – Just 5 ingredients to make this delicious bread that’s beyond easy!
- Low Carb Caesar Salad – Light and fresh paired with rich and filling! It’s the perfect match.
- Spinach Bacon Salad – Bacon salad and bacon soup together sounds pretty awesome, don’t you think?
- Extra Toppings – Consider adding some toppings to it. It’s great with diced tomato, diced onions, chopped pickle, or jalapeno slices.
Tools To Make Low Carb Bacon Cheeseburger Soup:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Large Soup Pot with Lid – This 4 qt soup pot has extra tall sides, so no keto friendly cheeseburger soup splashes on the stove!
- Silicone Cooking Utensils Set – Buy this kit and you’ll never need a kitchen utensil again!
- Glass Storage Containers – Make a double batch of keto hamburger soup and freeze in these glass containers.
Easy Low Carb Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
More Low Carb Recipes To Love
Low Carb Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
This easy low carb bacon cheeseburger soup recipe is comfort in a bowl, with just 5g net carbs. Learn how to make keto cheeseburger soup in just 20 minutes.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- In a large pot, cook bacon bits for a couple of minutes over medium heat, until crispy.
Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the ground beef. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking apart with a spoon or spatula, until browned.
Add the cauliflower, chicken broth, almond milk, dried parsley, sea salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until cauliflower is tender.
- Remove pot from heat. Stir in the cheddar cheese and heavy cream, until the soup is smooth and the cheese is melted.
Serving size: 1 cup
Video Showing How To Make Bacon Cheeseburger Soup:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Bacon Cheeseburger Soup!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Did you make this recipe?
Join the Easy Keto Challenge to enter monthly giveaways every time you share your pics of my recipes!