FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LISTGET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Rutabaga fries are the answer for your best keto fries dreams! Finding low carb french fries can be tough. Potatoes are certainly out of the question. And while I absolutely love zucchini fries, I was missing the basic flavor and texture of traditional fries. Enter these keto french fries which feature rutabaga as the main ingredient! My recipe for low carb fries is easy (just 5 minutes prep!) and simple (just 2 ingredients, plus s&p!) and it’s here to take on those fry cravings you’ve been having since going keto.
Serve this keto fries recipe alongside your favorite juicy burgers, or as part of the ultimate appetizer platter with keto onion rings, healthy fried pickles, and keto sausage balls. Either way, you’re going to love this new keto substitute for french fries!
How To Cut Rutabaga For Keto French Fries
If you aren’t familiar with rutabagas, they have a rough peel that definitely needs to be removed before baking. Don’t worry, cutting rutabaga into fries is super easy, and very similar to cutting potatoes.
Here is how to cut rutabagas:
- Cut the ends off the rutabagas. To start, cut off the ends. Having a flat side to rest against the counter will make the rutabaga easier to peel.
- Peel the rutabagas. Place one of the flat sides against the counter, and use a vegetable peeler in a downward motion from the top to peel it. Flip over and repeat on the other side. (You can also use a paring knife if you like, but I find a peeler way easier!)
TIP: If you have trouble getting enough leverage, you can cut the rutabaga in half down the center, which will give you more surface area against the counter, and can help with peeling.
- Slice the rutabagas into circles (or half circles if you used the tip above to cut in half). You want to get the rounds as even as possible, about 1/4-inch thick. You could also use a mandoline for this step.
- Slice them into fry shapes. I wanted these rutabaga fries to have a similar shape as other fries, so cut them into sticks, about 1/4-inch wide.
TIP: To keep uniform size and save time, stack your circles and slide them all at once. Uniform size is important for baking later, so that they cook evenly.
Here is a visual of the different steps above – the peeled rutabaga, the half circles, and then the sticks of fries:
How To Make Rutabaga Fries
Once you’ve mastered cutting rutabaga, these rutabaga french fries are super easy to make, and require nothing more than some avocado oil, sea salt, and pepper!
- Toss with oil. We’re tossing the keto fries with a generous amount of avocado oil, sea salt, and black pepper so that each fry is coated well.
- Arrange them in a single layer on a rack, without crowding them. The air flow is important to make them crispy!
- Bake the low carb fries for about 35-45 minutes, until soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Are French Fries Keto?
If you are looking for a low carb french fry alternative, these rutabaga fries are it! Traditional french fries on keto are a big no-no, as they are very high in carbohydrates…
How Many Carbs In Fries?
Traditional fries have close to 50 carbs per serving! That’s a few days worth of carbs if you’re keto… hence the need for a cleaner option. But have no fear, we’ve got a nutritious alternative!
These rutabaga oven fries have just 6 grams of net carbs per serving. Now that’s more like it! 🙂
Can You Make Keto Fries Ahead?
These french fries keto recipe are best baked fresh, but you can do most of the prep work ahead of time to make them come together really quickly.
Simply peel, slice, and cut the fries into fry shapes and then store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake. Take them out of fridge while the oven is preheating.
When you are ready to bake them, toss with the avocado oil, salt, and pepper, and bake!
Dipping Ideas For Low Carb Fries
Dips are KEY for low carb fries recipes, don’t you think? Here are some of my favorites, all fantastic options for any keto french fries:
- Low Carb Dipping Sauce – This is my absolute favorite for fries! It’s sweet, spicy, and full of flavor all at the same time.
- Keto Low Carb Sugar-free Ketchup – Even better than the brand we all grew up on. Promise you won’t miss it! 😉 You can also try this unsweetened ketchup if you don’t want to make your own.
- Low Carb Sugar-free BBQ Sauce – Might seem random, but I love a little sweet tang with my fries. You will not regret this choice.
- Keto Avocado Oil Mayo – A dip of mayo is always a good idea, or you can try mixing it with some ketchup or bbq sauce. Both options are YUM.
- Keto Ranch Dressing – I can’t be the only one that loves fries and ranch together! For a kick of spice, try Jalapeno Ranch Dip instead.
More Low Carb French Fries Recipes
When you need some keto friendly fries in your life, I’ve got you covered. Here are some of my favorite low carb alternative to fries:
- Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries – Made with a secret ingredient that adds tons of flavor and major crunch!
- Air Fryer Jicama Fries – Crunchy fries made out of jicama. So yum!
- Air Fryer Keto Onion Rings – Not technically a fry, but in the same family and SO good!
- Cassava / Yuca Fries – These are not strictly low carb, but I make them for my kids. They are “slow” carb, meaning the starch is resistant and releases more slowly.
Tools To Make Rutabaga Fries
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Vegetable Peeler – This peeler is easy and quick to use and I prefer this, but a paring knife will also work.
- Chef’s Knife – Even slices is key for these rutabaga fries, so make sure you have a good knife to get the job done.
- Cooling Rack – The key to crispy rutabaga fries is to use the cooling rack so that hot air circulates the rutabaga fries.
Low Carb Keto French Fries Recipe (Rutabaga Fries):
Pin to save for later!
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Low Carb Rutabaga Fries Recipe
Rutabaga fries make the best keto French fries! You'll love the crispy exterior. These low carb fries have just 6 g net carbs!
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Peel the rutabagas. Slice them into circles, 1/4-inch thick. Stack the circles and slice them into sticks, 1/4-inch wide.
In a large bowl, toss the rutabaga sticks with avocado oil, sea salt, and black pepper.
Place an oven safe rack onto a large baking sheet. Arrange the fries in a single layer on the rack.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, until fries are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: ~10 fries, or 1/8 of entire recipe
Video Showing How To Make Low Carb Keto French Fries (Rutabaga Fries):
Tap here to jump to the video for this recipe -- it's located directly above the ingredients list. It's the easiest way to learn how to make Low Carb Keto French Fries (Rutabaga Fries)!
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂