FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
This post is sponsored by GoWise USA. All opinions are my own and I only share products I personally love. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this site possible!
This is the last recipe of the year! I want to leave you with something that will support your upcoming resolutions and also show you that keto comfort food can be absolutely delicious: low carb fried chicken in the air fryer oven! This keto fried chicken recipe is crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside.
You’re going to love it. My whole family ate it up, and my husband kept asking if I was sure it’s low carb.
Is Fried Chicken Keto Friendly?
Can you eat fried chicken on keto? Unfortunately not regular fried chicken, which is breaded with high-carb wheat flour.
But, that doesn’t mean we have to say goodbye to the concept. We’ll just make low carb fried chicken in the air fryer instead!
So, how to make fried chicken low carb? It’s totally easy and doable – promise!
The key is making the right keto fried chicken breading…
How To Make Keto Fried Chicken Breading
You guys, I’m obsessed with this breading! I’ve been using it on so many things.
You need to setup three bowls to make it. Set them up in a line, in this order:
- Coconut flour with salt & pepper – This is for dredging to help the egg wash stick.
- Egg wash – whisked
- Pork rinds with spices – This is the crispy exterior.
Important Tip: Use one hand to handle the dry ingredients (coconut flour and pork rind mixtures) and the other to handle the wet egg wash. This will help keep the dry bowls dry, so that you don’t end up with clumpy breading that doesn’t stick.
How To Make Low Carb Fried Chicken in the Air Fryer Oven
Once you have your bowls setup, you can make your low carb fried chicken!
Use one hand to to dredge the chicken drumsticks in the coconut flour, then the other hand to dip in the eggs, and finally use the first hand to press it into the pork rind breading mixture. You can also just scoop the breading over the drumstick to help it stick.
Another Tip to prevent clumping: Keep most of the third mixture in a separate bowl and add a little at a time to the bowl where you’ll be coating the chicken. With this method, the breading will stick very well.
Place the chicken drumsticks in the (greased) air fryer basket without touching. It’s the perfect size to fit 4 of them!
Finally, bake the keto fried chicken in the air fryer oven at 400 degrees F. You can do this on the Manual setting to set the time and temperature.
I love the GoWise USA Air Fryer Oven, because it’s larger than a regular air fryer and has more settings. It even comes with a bunch of attachments, like multiple racks and one for rotisserie chicken. I can’t wait to share more low carb air fryer recipes with you soon.
And, air fryer fried chicken is soooo crispy!
What To Serve With Keto Fried Chicken
Need some ideas for what to serve with these deliciously crispy drumsticks? Here are some of my favorite sides:
- Crispy Pan Fried Brussels Sprouts
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Parmesan Zucchini Fries
- Asian Green Beans
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- How To Make Juicy Baked Chicken Breast
- Keto Low Carb Chicken Francese
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Coconut Curry Chicken
Tools To Make Air Fryer Fried Chicken:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- GoWise USA Air Fryer Oven – My air fryer oven has been a total game changer! It has made low carb fried chicken a reality.
Air Fryer Keto Low Carb Fried Chicken Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Air Fryer Keto Low Carb Fried Chicken Recipe
The best low carb fried chicken ever! This keto fried chicken is so crispy, you won't believe it. The secret to this air fryer fried chicken is the perfect grain-free breading.
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
- Stir the coconut flour, sea salt and black pepper in a medium shallow bowl. Set aside.
- In a second medium bowl, whisk together the eggs. Set aside.
- In a third bowl, mix the crushed pork rinds, smoked paprika, garlic powder and thyme.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the coconut flour mixture, dip in the eggs, shake off the excess, then press into the pork rind mixture. For best results, keep most of the third mixture in a separate bowl and add a little at a time to the bowl where you'll be coating the chicken. That way, it won't get clumpy too fast.
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) for 5 minutes. Lightly grease the metal basket and arrange the breaded chicken on it in a single layer, without touching.
- Place the basket into the air fryer. Cook the fried chicken in the air fryer for 20 minutes, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Made this recipe? Leave a rating! ★★★★★
Serving size: 1 drumstick
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. We'd LOVE for you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe instructions to social media or websites. You may share a photo with a link back instead.