Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food ListGet It Now
Spring and summer are some of the easiest times of year for low carb recipes. Between fresh grilled meats, juicy burgers (either bunless or on low carb hamburger buns), and simple salads (like a creamy cucumber salad for a side or a healthy taco salad as a meal), there are many delicious options to choose from. Best of all, many of these foods will please everyone – even if they are not eating low carb. Before I made this cauliflower potato salad recipe, I didn’t expect it to be one of those. To my surprise, it was!
The dressing is what really makes the dish — and just like the original version, this keto potato salad (sometimes called mock potato salad or faux potato salad) is perfect for barbecues, picnics, or family get-togethers.
Why You’ll Love This Cauliflower Potato Salad Recipe
- Creamy, zesty dressing
- Perfectly tender cauliflower
- Classic add-ins like hard boiled eggs, celery, and onions
- 2 simple cooking methods
- Ready in 15 minutes
- Only 6g net carbs per serving
- Naturally keto friendly, low carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, whole30, and just plain healthy
- All the same flavors of classic potato salad in every bite
This easy cauliflower potato salad tastes so much like the regular version and has been so popular on Wholesome Yum over the years, that I decided to include it in my Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook. There are only a handful of recipes from this book on my blog, but the whole book has 100 keto recipes total, with 80 of them brand new and exclusive to the book. Every recipe has a photo, macros, and helpful tips included — and they’re all easy like this one, too!
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto potato salad, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Cauliflower – The cauliflower taste in this dish is actually quite mild, and the texture of this low carb potato salad is very much like a regular one. The key is cooking the cauliflower to the same softness as cooked potatoes would be. To do this, make sure your florets are very small. This will allow them to cook up very soft.
- Mayonnaise – I use homemade mayo, but you can use any kind of mayonnaise that you prefer. You could also use plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, but mayo creates the best flavor.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar adds a tart and zesty flavor to this keto cauliflower potato salad. You can substitute white vinegar or lemon juice if you like.
- Dijon Mustard – I prefer the flavor of Dijon here, but regular yellow mustard would also work.
- Seasoning – To add a delicious flavor to the keto potato salad dressing, you’ll need garlic powder, sea salt, paprika (or substitute smoked paprika), and black pepper.
- Onion – While I selected a yellow onion for this recipe, a white onion, red onion, or sweet onion would work nicely as well. Dice it finely.
- Celery – Finely diced. Other low carb vegetables like celeriac or fennel stalks would make good substitutes.
- Eggs – My favorite method to boil them is these easy peel hard boiled eggs, but you could also make air fryer hard-boiled eggs.
- Chives – Optional for garnish. You could also use fresh dill.
VARIATION: Add dill pickles or bacon!
If you like these flavors in potato salads, you’ll like them in this cauliflower potato salad, too. Just mince the pickles finely or crumble oven baked bacon, and add to your taste.
How To Make Cauliflower Potato Salad
This section shows how to make keto potato salad, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Cook the cauliflower. Either in the microwave or the stove top, cook the cauliflower and drain well. (I cooked it in boiling water in a saucepan.) You could also use a steamer, or even use a roasted cauliflower recipe here if you like the flavor, like I do for roasted cauliflower salad.
TIP: Cook a double batch of cauliflower to use in other recipes.
Mashed cauliflower is another easy low carb dish that’s made from very soft cooked cauliflower like the kind for this recipe.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, paprika, sea salt, and black pepper, until smooth.
- Combine. In a large mixing bowl or serving bowl, stir the cooked cauliflower, diced onion and celery, and hard boiled eggs together with the dressing. If desired, garnish with chives and additional paprika.
TIP: If you have time, refrigerate the cauliflower potato salad for 1 hour.
This is not required, but will let the flavors develop more.
- Store: This easy cauliflower potato salad can store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Freezing is not recommended, as mayo-based dressings like this one don’t freeze well.
- Meal prep: Since this keto potato salad stores well, you can easily make it ahead of time. Alternatively, you can cook the cauliflower, chop the other vegetables, or make the dressing ahead.
What To Serve With Keto Potato Salad
Since I first published this recipe, I’ve made it dozens of times for my family, friends, potlucks, picnics, and more. It’s a hit with everyone, even my Eastern European extended family (who love their genuine potato salads). Here are some dishes I like to serve with this keto potato salad:
- Grilled Mains – Pair this salad with grilled steak, herby Mediterranean chicken kabobs, or my best juicy burgers (either bunless or on low carb burger buns).
- Steak – Make sirloin steak in the oven, perfect reverse sear steak, or a tender chuck eye steak to serve with this dish.
- Sandwiches – Pair this salad with your favorite keto sandwich. Try crunchy cucumber subs, savory low carb sloppy joes, or a fast bell pepper sandwich.
More Keto Salad Recipes
These keto salads make a great option for weeknight meals, or a crowd!
Cauliflower Potato Salad Recipe
Cauliflower Potato Salad (Keto & Healthy)
This easy cauliflower potato salad recipe is keto, gluten-free & just healthy, with all the flavor of the regular kind. Ready in 15 minutes!
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Cook the cauliflower on the stove or in the microwave.
Stove method: Boil a pot of water with a tablespoon of salt. Add the cauliflower, and simmer until very tender (about 5 minutes). Drain well and let cool.
Microwave method: Place the cauliflower florets in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of water. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Drain well and let cool.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, paprika, sea salt, and black pepper, until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, diced onion, sliced celery, and diced egg.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
If you have time, refrigerate the cauliflower potato salad for at least 1 hour to let the flavors develop. (This is optional.) If desired, garnish with chives and additional paprika.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 cup
Recipe from The Easy Keto Cookbook.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂