FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 120,000 others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Sweet, saucy, and smoky keto sloppy joes are an easy meal that everyone loves. No one will be able to tell that this sugar-free sloppy joe meat is keto friendly. Thanks to Besti Brown Sweetener, it has that sweet brown sugar flavor!
I have to admit, sloppy joes remind me of childhood school lunches. But don’t worry – I set a higher bar than that. After testing this low carb sloppy joe recipe on my kids and friends, I can confidently say that it’s worth it. Serve it up with easy coleslaw for a quick and easy dinner – and see my options below on what buns to put the meat on, too.
What Are Sloppy Joes?
If you’ve never heard of sloppy joes, you’re in for a treat! Unlike regular burgers, sloppy joes aren’t formed into full patties.
Instead, they include cooking up loose ground meat with spices, onions, and ketchup, and serving the saucy mixture on a bun.
And the best part? This simple keto sloppy joe recipe is ready in 20 minutes flat.
How To Make Keto Sloppy Joes
This keto sloppy joes recipe takes just 20 minutes to make:
- Brown ground beef. Heat a large skillet and add ground beef to pan. Season with salt and cook until browned.
- Simmer sugar-free sloppy joe sauce. Stir ketchup, water, Besti Brown Sweetener, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder into the browned ground beef. Bring to a boil, then simmer until thickened.
What buns to serve with sugar-free sloppy joes?
I highly recommend serving the sloppy joe meat on a keto bun. Here are some bun options to choose from:
- Keto Hot Dog Buns – Turn them into hamburger shapes instead. These are my favorite, and pictured in the photos in this post!
- Coconut Flour Hamburger Buns – My friend came up with these, and they’re really good.
- Keto Burger Buns – Find the recipe in my Easy Keto Cookbook.
Keto Sloppy Joe Recipe FAQs
Are sloppy joes keto?
Yes, these easy low carb sloppy joes are keto. Traditional recipes are made with lots of ketchup and sugar, and are definitely not keto.
This version has just 8.9 grams net carbs per serving.
Can I use a different sweetener?
This keto diet sloppy joe recipe works best with Besti Brown Monk Fruit Allulose Blend because of its rich flavor. In my experience, other brown or golden sweeteners don’t have the same rich flavor, or don’t blend as smoothly into sauces.
If you really need to use something else, opt for a powdered sweetener to ensure the best texture, but know that you won’t get that brown sugar flavor. See my keto sweetener guide for suggestions.
Can I use a different ground meat?
Yes! This sloppy joe recipe calls for ground beef, but you could also substitute ground pork or ground turkey.
Low Carb Sloppy Joe Storage Instructions
Can you make them ahead?
Yes, sloppy joes are a great meal to make ahead as they store and reheat very well. They might even taste a little better the next day, so if you can make them ahead, do.
How to store keto friendly sloppy joes
Store these sloppy joes in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze sloppy joes?
You can also freeze thiseketo sloppy joe recipe for 2-3 months.
How to reheat sloppy joes
Reheat your low carb sloppy joe in the microwave or a hot skillet until heated through.
What To Serve With Keto Sloppy Joes
If you’re wondering what pairs well with sloppy joes, try these easy sides:
- Keto Coleslaw – This is pictured above! The ultimate sugar-free sloppy joe pairing.
- Mashed Cauliflower – Gives this dish a “meat and potatoes” feel!
- Rutabaga Fries – Skip the utensils altogether for this meal. 🙂 Plus, they go great with the same sugar-free ketchup you’re using for the sloppy joes.
- Cauliflower Mac And Cheese – The perfect contrast for smoky sloppy joes.
- Keto Cornbread – Great for soaking up extra sauce, with a secret ingredient that makes it taste like real cornbread – without corn.
More Keto Ground Beef Recipes
If you like this keto sloppy joes recipe, you might also like some of these other keto ground beef recipes:
- Keto Chili – So flavorful, and mostly hands-off. Easy comfort food, just add your favorite toppings.
- Mexican Ground Beef Casserole – All the Mexican flavors you love, in one simple casserole dish.
- Ground Beef Zucchini Stir Fry – This flavorful meal is made with ground beef, zucchini, pesto, and goat cheese. Ready in 20 minutes.
- Ground Beef Stroganoff – This hearty, but healthy dinner is ready in 30 minutes and made with common ingredients.
- Keto Cabbage Rolls – This classic is made without rice, making it whole30, low carb, and keto. Comfort food reimagined!
Tools To Make Sugar-Free Sloppy Joes:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Meat Chopper – This tool makes it simple to break up the ground beef for this low carb sloppy joe recipe. I use it for all of my ground meat recipes.
- Nonstick Fry Pan – These pans are great for everything from perfect omelettes to this keto sloppy joe recipe.
- Glass Storage Containers – Store any leftover low carb sloppy joe recipe in these, safe to reheat in, too.
Reader Fave Keto Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Get Besti Brown Keto Sweetener For Your Keto Sloppy Joe Recipe!
Meet Besti Brown Monk Fruit Allulose Blend, the brown sugar replacement that has the moisture, color and flavor of brown sugar - with NO aftertaste & 0 net carbs!GET IT HERE
Low Carb Keto Sloppy Joes Recipe
This easy keto sloppy joes recipe is ready in 20 minutes, with simple ingredients. Serve up the sugar-free low carb sloppy joe meat on keto buns for a classic meal.
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get Keto Sweetener For This Recipe
Meet Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend, the keto sweetener that tastes, bakes, dissolves, and browns just like sugar, with NO aftertaste and 0 net carbs.GET BESTI
RECIPE TIPS + VIDEO in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Optional step: If you want the buns pictured, make this keto hot dog bun recipe in burger shapes. (Do this first as it takes the longest.)
Stir in sugar-free ketchup, water, Besti Brown Sweetener, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until thickened. Adjust sweetener to taste if desired.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Serving size: 1/4 lb beef, or 1/4 entire recipe
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT COPY/PASTE recipe instructions to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂