This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
If you’re looking for a one-dish low carb Mexican dinner for Taco Tuesday (or any day!), this keto ground beef casserole recipe is a sure win to add to your rotation. It’s very similar to my Crock-Pot taco casserole, but is made in the oven. It makes a delicious and filling meal with all the taco flavors everyone loves, loaded with veggies and protein… just like with keto tamales, you won’t even miss the carbs! 😉
I love keto ground beef casserole recipes like this one, because they are easy to make and the whole meal is in one dish. (Actually, that’s most keto casserole recipes!) And if you take advantage of keto meal planning like I do, this Mexican ground beef casserole is excellent for prepping ahead or even freezing for later.
What’s In Ground Beef Keto Casserole?
There are all kinds of keto ground beef casserole recipes, but this one is packed with Mexican flavors.
Mexican casserole recipes will vary on ingredients as well. This low carb Mexican casserole with ground beef is made with a veggie layer, meat layer, and cheese layer. Here are the ingredients found in this easy keto ground beef casserole:
- Cauliflower rice – This isn’t just any cauliflower rice, it’s also flavored with diced tomatoes with green chiles.
TIP: This Mexican ground beef casserole is fairly spicy. For a milder version, replace the diced tomatoes with green chiles with plain diced tomatoes instead. Or serve with extra sour cream if you need to cool it down a bit.
- Vegetable layer – Traditional fajita veggies like peppers and onions make up this layer.
- Taco meat – Ground beef is simply seasoned with taco seasoning.
- Cheese – We’ve used a Mexican cheese blend, but cheddar is also awesome.
- Optional toppings – See below for ideas!
How To Make Keto Ground Beef Casserole
Making this dish is just a few easy steps. Here’s how to make a Mexican casserole that’s full of flavor and low on carbs:
- Cook cauliflower rice. In a skillet, cook cauliflower rice with avocado oil and sea salt. Find full instructions for making cauliflower rice here.
- Add diced tomatoes with green chilies. Drain the can first, then stir into the rice. Transfer the mixture to the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Cook bell peppers and onions. Wipe out the skillet, heat more oil, and saute bell peppers and onions, until soft and starting to brown. Season with salt and pepper.
… And arrange over the casserole dish:
- Add sour cream. Spread it over the vegetables and smooth with a spatula.
- Cook ground beef. Add the ground beef to the pan and increase heat to medium-high. Break apart with spatula, until browned. Add the water and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, then simmer until it thickens.
… And spread beef over the pan:
- Top with cheese. I used a Mexican blend, but cheddar works, too!
- Bake. Since all the layers are already cooked, this goes quickly – just until casserole is hot and cheese is melted.
How To Serve Keto Mexican Casserole
To serve, simply use a turner to cut the casserole into even pieces (I recommend 3 by 3, so 9 total), then scoop from underneath so that you get all the layers.
What Goes With Mexican Casserole?
The awesome thing about this dish is that it’s a complete meal! You don’t need anything on the side. But, you do need toppings. All the toppings. 😉 Here are the basics to add:
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
Or you could add a few prepared toppings, too:
Let everyone top their own with their favorite taco toppings, or if your family likes the same thing, you can add them right onto the casserole, too! You could even serve these with a side of almond flour tortillas.
Keto Mexican Casserole Storage Instructions
Can you make it ahead?
Yes, you can make this keto Mexican casserole ahead. It’s one of the best things about Mexican dinner casseroles – they reheat so nicely.
How to store Mexican keto casserole:
Store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to freeze Mexican casserole recipes with ground beef:
You can also freeze this keto Mexican casserole for 3-4 months. It’s a great meal to prep ahead or double to freeze for later.
How to reheat it:
Reheat this Mexican ground beef casserole in the microwave or a 350 degree F oven, until heated through and hot.
More Keto Casserole Recipes
If you like this keto friendly casserole with ground beef, you might also like these:
- Keto Pizza Casserole – The easiest way to make keto pizza!
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole – Just 5 ingredients and loads of flavor.
- Keto Eggplant Lasagna – A healthy and delicious way to eat lasagna and made with simple ingredients and just 20 minutes prep.
- Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Casserole – Just 30 minutes to prep this creamy, cheesy casserole that has all of the Philly cheesesteak flavors you love.
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash – Chicken, spaghetti squash, buffalo sauce and blue cheese dressing. Just 6 ingredients to make this healthy, comforting meal.
Tools To Make a Keto Beef Casserole
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Skillet – This one is the perfect size, doesn’t stick, and doesn’t scratch easily.
- Meat Chopper – Use this convenient meat chopper whenever you need to brown ground meat.
- 9×13 Glass Casserole Dish – This baking dish comes with a lid, and can even go from fridge or freezer to oven if you want to prep this keto Mexican casserole ahead.
Keto Mexican Ground Beef Casserole Recipe
Keto Mexican Ground Beef Casserole Recipe
Everyone loves this keto Mexican ground beef casserole recipe! Make it with simple ingredients and pile it high with toppings.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Stir in the drained diced tomatoes with green chiles. Transfer the mixture to the bottom of a 9x13 glass casserole dish. Set aside.
Wipe down the skillet to remove any cauliflower pieces. Heat another tablespoon of oil over medium heat, then add the bell peppers and onions. Saute for 10-15 minutes, until soft and starting to brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Arrange the vegetables over the cauliflower rice in the casserole dish. Spread sour cream evenly on top with a spatula. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Add the ground beef to the pan and increase heat to medium-high. Cook for about 10 minutes, breaking apart with a spatula, until browned.
Add the water and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2-5 minutes, until it thickens and taco meat forms.
Spread the beef mixture evenly over the casserole dish. Sprinkle with shredded Mexican cheese on top.
Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until the casserole is hot and cheese is melted.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1/9 entire casserole, or approximately 1.5-2 cups
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂