This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
- What Is Philly Cheesesteak Casserole?
- How To Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Can You Use Steak Instead of Ground Beef?
- Can You Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Ahead?
- Can You Freeze Cheesesteak Casserole?
- More Keto Comfort Food Casserole Recipes
- Tools To Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Low Carb Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe
I think it’s so fun to turn sandwiches into casseroles, don’t you? (My most popular one is chicken bacon ranch casserole!) This low carb keto philly cheesesteak casserole recipe is just that – the sandwich turned into a comforting casserole. No bread required.
Low carb philly cheesesteak casserole with cream cheese, ground beef, sauteed peppers and onions is the classic cheesesteak combo, topped off with a layer of melt-y provolone cheese. And since it’s ready in 30 minutes, using simple ingredients, it’s easy to whip up last minute on a weeknight.
What Is Philly Cheesesteak Casserole?
Low carb philly cheesesteak casserole takes all of the flavor from the iconic sandwich and puts it into casserole form!
This keto cheesesteak casserole packs major flavors, from creamy and cheesy ground beef, to sauteed onions and peppers, to a melty layer of provolone cheese. You definitely won’t miss the bread!
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
Let’s make this keto philly cheesesteak casserole recipe! It comes together in just 30 minutes:
- Brown ground beef. Saute beef in a large saute pan, breaking up with a spatula. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute veggies. Add bell peppers and onions to pan. Season with Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Saute until veggies are soft.
- Add cream cheese. Stir in cream cheese and broth until smooth and melted.
TIP: You can adjust the amount of cream cheese to taste here. Add an additional 2 ounces if you want it super creamy.
- Assemble. Transfer to a baking dish and top with a layer of provolone cheese.
- Bake casserole, until cheese is melted.
TIP: Broil casserole for a few minutes before serving to brown the cheese, as pictured here.
Can You Use Steak Instead of Ground Beef?
Absolutely! The process would be very similar. You’d simply cook your steak separately first. Here’s how:
- Cook the steak separately. Try my method for sirloin steak in the oven (and slice against the grain after cooking) OR you can slice raw flank steak thinly first and then saute the pieces briefly until cooked through. Since steak dries out more easily than ground beef, set it aside to keep warm and don’t keep it in your pan.
- Saute the bell peppers and onions on their own. Add steak back to the pan only toward the end.
- Stir in seasonings, cream cheese and broth. Saute for a minute or two with the seasonings, then stir in the cream cheese and broth.
- Transfer to casserole dish and proceed with the recipe the same way.
Can You Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Ahead?
Yes, you can make this low carb philly cheesesteak casserole recipe ahead of time. Casseroles are one of the best foods to prep ahead!
You have a couple of options:
- Meal prep the main components. Brown the ground beef, and slice the onions and bell peppers. Store them separately in the fridge to time the day-of.
- Make and assemble the casserole. Instead of baking it, store it covered in the refrigerator. When ready to eat, simply bake as directed. You may need to add approximately 10 more minutes to the baking time, just to heat it through.
If you pre-assemble the casserole or if you store leftovers, either way it will last in the fridge for about 5 days. To reheat your keto ground beef philly cheesesteak casserole if it was baked previously, you can either use the microwave or a 350 degrees F oven, until hot.
Can You Freeze Cheesesteak Casserole?
Yes, you can also freeze this keto low carb philly cheesesteak casserole. Assemble it without baking, wrap tightly with foil, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake in a 350 degree F for approximately 20 minutes, until hot. If you need to bake from frozen, it will take a lot longer (at least 40-50 minutes) and you’ll need to cover it to prevent burning the cheese from being in the oven so long.
More Keto Comfort Food Casserole Recipes
If you like this keto philly cheesesteak casserole with cream cheese, you may also love these other keto casseroles:
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole – Buffalo chicken. Creamy sauce. It’s a meal-in-a-dish!
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole – This vegetarian option is packed with cheese and broccoli – what more do you need in life?
- Keto Taco Casserole – The best flavors of tacos in one convenient casserole. Top with fresh toppings for bright, crunchy flavor.
- Cauliflower Lasagna – Perhaps the ultimate comfort food, lasagna needed to be lightened up, and this is the best of both worlds.
- Cheeseburger Casserole – Bun isn’t necessary for this cheeseburger. It’s a satisfying and filling meal.
Tools To Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Saute Pan – Stir fry the ground beef and veggies for the best keto philly cheesesteak casserole!
- Ground Meat Chopper – No, this isn’t some useless utensil that will sit in your drawer, it’s actually very useful! It helps chop up the meat so that it browns quickly and evenly.
- Baking Dish – The final step of this keto cheesesteak casserole recipe? Baking everything under a layer of melt-y provolone…
Low Carb Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers that made this also viewed these recipes:
Low Carb Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Recipe
An easy keto philly cheesesteak casserole recipe that takes just 30 minutes! Creamy, cheesy low carb philly cheesesteak casserole uses simple ingredients with minimal prep.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
Place the beef into a large saute pan over medium-high heat and break up with a spatula. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through.
Add the bell peppers and onions to the pan. Season with Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Saute for 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
Add the cream cheese and broth. Stir together until smooth and melted.
Transfer the mixture to a large stoneware baking dish (8 x 11 ½ inches). Arrange provolone slices on top, overlapping slightly.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Serving size: 1 cup (slightly heaped), or 1/6 entire recipe
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂