Free: Healthy Freezer Meals Recipe EbookGet It Now
Looking for a filling and healthy dinner? Baked spaghetti squash casserole recipes to the rescue! This buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole is a chicken dinner winner for a few reasons: It’s delicious, satisfying, and packed with nutritious ingredients. And perhaps most important, it’s buffalo chicken!
If you like the flavors of Instant Pot buffalo chicken dip or homestyle dishes like cheesy yellow squash casserole, you’ll love this one too. And don’t worry, you can make it as spicy or as mild as you like!
Why You’ll Love This Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe
- Tangy, lightly spicy flavor
- Tender noodles, creamy sauce, and juicy, hearty chicken
- Easy, grocery store ingredients
- Mostly hands-off prep
- A naturally gluten-free, keto, and low carb chicken spaghetti squash casserole
- Easy to freeze or make ahead
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for casserole spaghetti squash, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Spaghetti Squash – Find a medium spaghetti squash, about 4-6 pounds, for this recipe.
- Blue Cheese Dressing – You can get a store-bought version or make homemade blue cheese dressing for extra flavor. If blue cheese isn’t your thing, you can easily swap in ranch dressing as well.
- Buffalo Sauce – Any brand and spice level will do. I used this one for my buffalo chicken casserole.
- Cream Cheese – I used a full-fat variety, but any kind should work — including non-dairy ones.
- Shredded Chicken – I prefer using my Instant Pot shredded chicken for best texture, but you can also cook and cube air fryer chicken breast or baked chicken breast for this recipe. Alternatively, you can use ground turkey or ground beef. Before using it in this dish, simply brown the meat on the stove top over medium-high heat, with olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper to taste.
- Cheddar Cheese – Use a pre-shredded variety, or shred your own. You can also swap half of the cheese for mozzarella cheese.
- Green Onions – Optional, for a zippy garnish.
How To Make Spaghetti Squash Casserole
This section shows how to make a casserole with spaghetti squash, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Bake squash. Pierce with a knife and bake until fully tender. (Get full instructions for baking spaghetti squash here.) Remove from oven and set aside.
- Make sauce. In a large bowl, stir together blue cheese dressing, buffalo sauce, and cream cheese. Stir in shredded chicken.
TIP: Want more spice?
If you want your chicken spaghetti squash casserole to have more kick, add two additional tablespoons of buffalo sauce to the mixture.
- Prep squash. Cut spaghetti squash in half and use a spoon to scoop out seeds. Use a fork to release the strands.
- Assemble. Stir spaghetti squash into the chicken mixture, then transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake. Sprinkle buffalo chicken spaghetti squash bake with cheese. Bake spaghetti squash casserole until cheese melts.
- Finish. Drizzle with additional blue cheese and sprinkle with green onions. If desired, drizzle additional buffalo sauce on top.
- Tomatoes – Slice or chop tomatoes, removing any seedy areas. Lay flat in between layers of the chicken and squash mixture, or (if chopped) mix with the ingredients before baking.
- Garlic – Use freshly minced or jarred minced garlic, and stir it together with the chicken mixture before combining with squash strands. You can also saute it first if you prefer.
- Bell Pepper – Chop up to 1 whole bell pepper (any color), saute in a little oil, and add to the chicken mixture before mixing with squash.
- Avocado – Dice or slice and add to the top of the casserole after baking.
- Store: Keep spaghetti squash casseroles covered in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Meal prep: Prep one of two ways. You can make squash and remove strands, make blue cheese dressing, and prepare shredded chicken — store each separately, then assemble and bake right before serving. Alternatively, you can assemble everything in a casserole dish, top with foil, and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Reheat: Heat in a 350 degree F oven, or gently in the microwave, until hot and bubbly.
- Freeze: You can freeze this recipe for spaghetti squash casserole! Let it cool completely, wrap in foil, and freeze for 2-3 months. Bake from frozen for 30-40 minutes, or thaw first in the fridge and bake for 15-20 minutes until hot.
More Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipes
- Lasagna Style – Similar to spaghetti squash lasagna boats! Instead of using chicken, brown ground beef in a skillet with a teaspoon of Italian seasoning mix, then mix with 1/2 cup of your favorite pasta sauce or marinara. In a separate bowl, mix 2/3 cup ricotta, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt to taste. Add spaghetti squash strands to the dish, followed by cheese, then meat sauce, then top with 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and bake.
- Three Cheese – Swap cream cheese with a 15 ounce container of ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of provolone or mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese. Swap blue cheese dressing and buffalo sauce with a tomato or marinara sauce.
- Classic Spaghetti – Prepare meat and tomato sauce in the lasagna style squash above, but mix together with squash strands instead of layering. Sprinkle 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese over the top before baking.
- Chicken Alfredo – Omit cream cheese and swap cheddar cheese with mozzarella. Substitute the blue cheese dressing and buffalo sauce with a batch of alfredo sauce. Mix and bake as usual.
- Baking Sheet – The first step of any cheesy spaghetti squash casserole recipes is to bake the squash. This pan makes it easy and cleans up in a flash.
- Ceramic Baking Dish – Spaghetti squash bakes may not be fancy, but served in this baking dish, they look great on any table.
- Glass Storage Container – Store any leftover spaghetti squash casserole in these glass dishes and take to work for lunch!
Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe
Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe (So Easy!)
You need just 6 simple ingredients for this chicken spaghetti squash casserole recipe. Make it for a healthy, comforting meal tonight!
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes!
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Use a knife to poke a few holes all over the spaghetti squash. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, until a knife goes in with very little resistance. Remove from the oven (leave it on) and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together the blue cheese dressing, buffalo sauce, and cream cheese. Stir in the shredded chicken.
Cut the spaghetti squash in half and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Use a fork to release the strands into the bowl with the chicken mixture. Stir together.
Transfer the casserole mixture to a large casserole dish (12×8” oval dish, 2.4 qt.). Top with shredded cheese. Place in the oven for 10 minutes, until the cheese melts.
If desired, drizzle the top with additional blue cheese dressing and sprinkle with green onions.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
This helps other readers and also helps me continue to provide free recipes on my site.
Serving size: 1 1/3 cup or 1/6 of recipe
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?Save This Recipe Now
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂