This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
With my homemade ranch dressing recipe being so popular, people have been asking me for more restaurant-quality dressings, and this homemade blue cheese dressing recipe was next on my list to make. It tastes better than the kind in the bottle, and it’s made with simple, clean ingredients you can find in any grocery store.
I’m excited to show you how to make blue cheese dressing (hint: it takes 5 minutes!), but be warned: You’ll want to put it on just about everything! It’s the best blue cheese dressing I’ve ever tried.
Why This Is The Best Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- Bold, tangy flavors
- Thick and creamy with blue cheese chunks
- 5 simple ingredients (plus salt and pepper)
- Just 5 minutes to make
- Versatile with so many ways to use it – not just for salad!
Ingredients & Substitutions
This section explains how to choose the best blue cheese dressing ingredients, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Mayonnaise – I like to use my own homemade mayo when I have time, but store-bought works too. Greek yogurt will also work as a substitute, but the flavor will be different.
- Sour Cream – Gives the dressing a tangy flavor. If you opt for Greek yogurt above, you can substitute the sour cream with that as well.
- Crumbled Blue Cheese – Of course you need blue cheese for a blue cheese salad dressing recipe! Sometimes this is called bleu cheese at the store, which is the same thing with the French spelling. The crumbles provide texture, as well as a powerful intense flavor. You can also use Roquefort, Gorgonzola, Stilton, and Cambazola.
- Lemon Juice – I used bottled lemon juice for convenience, because you only need a teaspoon. But you could get juice from freshly squeezed lemons as well.
- Almond Milk – The milk thins out the dressing. I used store-bought unsweetened almond milk, but you could make almond milk at home, or use any milk you prefer (dairy milk, coconut milk, heavy cream, half and half, etc). Buttermilk would also work if you like.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
How To Make Blue Cheese Dressing
TIP: Use a spoon to press the blue cheese pieces against the sides of the bowl or jar.
This helps the blue cheese flavor incorporate into the dressing.
Store homemade blue cheese dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
Freezing is not recommended, as it will separate and no longer be creamy when you thaw it.
If you won’t be able to eat all of it within a week, just cut the recipe in half. Since it takes just 5 minutes to make, it’s easy to whip up another batch when you need it.
Ways To Use Blue Cheese Dressing
- Salads – Elevate your grilled chicken salad with the rich and tangy flavors of this dressing. It’s also the perfect pairing for classic options like a wedge salad or cobb salad.
- Buffalo Flavors – I always serve buffalo wings with blue cheese (and ranch), but it’s just as flavorful with buffalo cauliflower bites or juicy baked buffalo chicken.
- Veggie Dip – This recipe for blue cheese dressing is the perfect dip for crisp and crunchy vegetables, like cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, or cherry tomatoes.
- Burgers – Add a little zing to your next burger — and include slices of baked bacon for over-the-top flavor.
- Steaks – Add tang and creaminess to a grilled steak, thick and juicy New York strip, or quick and easy air fryer filet mignon.
- Soup – Instead of using sour cream, add a dollop to my favorite chili recipe, a savory broccoli cheddar soup, or creamy celery root soup.
- Potatoes – Try mixing it into mashed potatoes (or cauliflower mash), drizzling it on top of an air fryer baked potato, or toss with roasted potatoes for a rich and creamy side dish.
More Creamy Salad Dressing Recipes
Creamy dressings add instant flavor to your meals! Try more of my favorites, perfect for upgrading your greens:
Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe (5 Minutes!)
Learn how to make blue cheese dressing: Just 5 minutes + 5 ingredients! This homemade blue cheese dressing recipe tastes like a restaurant's.
Recipe VideoTap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy recipes weekly! (Click the bell icon to be notified when I post a new video.)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Stir all ingredients together in a bowl or jar.
Use your spoon or spatula to press the blue cheese pieces against the side of the bowl or jar to help the flavor incorporate with the other ingredients.
Last Step: Leave A Rating!
Share your recipe picture by tagging @wholesomeyum and hashtag it #wholesomeyum on Instagram – I’d love to see it!
Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy. Have questions about calculations or why you got a different result? Please see our nutrition policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favorite recipes!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We’d LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂