FREE PRINTABLE: LOW CARB & KETO FOOD LIST!
Join 200,000+ others to get a FREE keto food list, plus weekly keto recipes!GET IT NOW
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
My slow cooker Mongolian beef recipe is loaded with flavor, without cornstarch or sugar! And, it’s so easy that you just might need to add it to your weeknight dinner rotation – stat. Keto Mongolian beef comes together in 5 easy steps, and most of it is hands-off cooking time. But the best part? This Crock Pot Mongolian beef tastes better than take-out! Serve this healthy Mongolian beef over a bed of cauliflower rice for a complete low carb meal.
What Is Mongolian Beef?
Traditionally, Mongolian beef is a stir fry dish with flank steak, onions and sometimes other vegetables. The seasonings are typically soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar.
My Mongolian beef Crock Pot recipe also has sliced flank steak at the base, but is much healthier than what you would get at a restaurant.
Mongolian Beef Ingredients
You will just need some basic ingredients for this gluten-free Mongolian beef. Here is a breakdown of your shopping list.
- Flank Steak – Because it’s cooked in the Crock Pot, you want this cut of meat to get it super tender.
- Unflavored Gelatin Powder – This is used as a thickener and stabilizer in the sauce, instead of starch.
- Coconut Aminos – You get the yummy flavor of soy sauce, without the gluten or other issues of soy (I avoid soy because it’s estrogenic). It’s a key flavor in this slow cooker Mongolian beef.
- Garlic – You can never have too much garlic when making this easy beef recipe. It brings just about any Asian dish to life.
- Sweetener of your choice – Use any sweetener that you prefer – either a powdered or liquid sweetener for low carb/keto versions (these dissolve best when using sugar-free sweeteners), or any kind of natural sugar, such as honey or coconut sugar, will work if you aren’t sugar-free.
- Blackstrap Molasses – Even though it’s a small amount, the molasses gives the Mongolian beef recipe classic flavor. I promise it doesn’t significantly impact carb count, and your Crock Pot beef will still be keto friendly. However, you can substitute a bit of maple extract instead if you insist on skipping the molasses.
- Sesame Oil – Gives depth and flavor to Asian dishes like keto Mongolian beef.
- Ground Ginger – It’s more convenient than fresh, and still gives this Crock Pot Asian beef the flavors you expect.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper – Season to taste, as always!
How To Make Mongolian Beef In A Slow Cooker
The slow cooker is the key to the best Mongolian beef recipe! It makes the meat juicy and tender, not to mention easy.
Here’s how to make Mongolian beef in the Crock Pot:
- Slice the steak thinly against the grain. This is important!
TIP: If you have trouble making thin slices, try freezing the beef for about 15 minutes to firm it up, making it easier to slice.
- Coat steak with gelatin powder. Slice steak as thinly as you can, toss with gelatin powder (which acts as a thickener) and then add to your Crock Pot.
TIP: You don’t need cornstarch for this easy Mongolian beef recipe! The gelatin powder replaces it.
- Mix sauce ingredients. Whisk together coconut aminos, garlic, sweetener, molasses, oil, ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the steak and mix well.
- Cook steak in the slow cooker until it’s cooked through and tender.
TIP: How long to cook Mongolian beef in the slow cooker? It will take 4-6 hours on Low or 2-3 hours on High.
- Optional step – reduce the sauce. If desired, remove the meat from slow cooker, pour the sauce into a saucepan and simmer to reduce the sauce, until thickened. This is optional, as the sauce is still delicious just drizzled over the meat, too.
And there you have it – delicious, flavorful and simple slow cooker Mongolian beef!
Is Mongolian Beef Spicy?
No, this homemade Mongolian beef is not too spicy, as this Asian dish typically is not.
TIP: If you prefer spicy Mongolian beef, add some red pepper flakes to the sauce.
Hunan Beef Vs. Mongolian Beef
If you’re wondering what is the difference between Hunan and Mongolian beef, both dishes have similar flavors. However, Hunan beef tends to be pretty spicy and has some chili sauce to give it extra heat, while healthy Mongolian beef is pretty mild.
If you want to make Hunan beef, check out my healthy Hunan beef recipe here!
Can You Make Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef Ahead?
Yes, you can make slow cooker Mongolian beef ahead! Isn’t that what the Crock Pot is for?!
In addition to prepping for dinner the morning-of, you can also use this easy Mongolian beef recipe for meal prep. It will last in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Reheat keto Mongolian beef in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or toss it back into the slow cooker to reheat.
TIP: Be sure to reheat the beef with the sauce so that it doesn’t dry out. If it seems a little dry, you can add a little bit of broth to give it some moisture.
If you’re in a rush, you can reheat pre-made Crock Pot Mongolian beef in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time. It will warm up fairly quickly, so watch it closely.
Can You Freeze Keto Mongolian Beef?
Yes, you can freeze keto Mongolian beef. Store it in a freezer-safe bag and remove as much air as possible. It will last 3-6 months in the freezer.
To thaw, place the frozen Crock Pot Mongolian beef in the fridge the day before, or defrost in a zip lock bag in a bowl of cold water if it’s last minute. Then, reheat on the stove, in the microwave, or the slow cooker, just like the make-ahead instructions above.
More Low Carb Asian Dinner Ideas
If you love this Mongolian beef recipe and want to see other Asian-inspired low carb dinner ideas, I have more for you:
- Spicy Thai Shrimp Lettuce Wraps – Thai shrimp + lettuce wraps + peanut sauce. SO much to love about this meal.
- Keto Beef and Broccoli – If you love Mongolian beef, you’ll love this, too.
- Korean Ground Beef Bowl – You’ll love this easy dinner that’s ready in just 20 minutes.
- Spicy Asian Green Beans – The perfect veggie side for an Asian meal.
Tools To Make Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Slow Cooker – This model is super easy to clean and works perfectly with this healthy Mongolian beef recipe.
- Chef’s Knife – I love this knife for slicing the beef and chopping vegetables.
Reader Favorite Recipes
The recipe card is below! Readers also made these similar recipes after making this one.
Keto Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef Recipe
This EASY, delicious slow cooker Mongolian beef recipe is better than takeout! Learn how to make Mongolian beef in the Crock Pot with just 8 ingredients, no starch, + 10 minutes to prep. No one will guess this is healthy keto Mongolian beef.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video. It's the easiest way to learn how to make this recipe!
Click underlined ingredients to see where to get them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Get Keto Sweetener For This Recipe
Meet Besti Monk Fruit Allulose Blend, the keto sweetener that tastes, bakes, dissolves, and browns just like sugar, with NO aftertaste and 0 net carbs.GET BESTI
Get RECIPE TIPS in the post above, nutrition info + recipe notes below!
Click on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Slice the flank steak as thinly as you can (1/4 inch (6.35 mm) or thinner), against the grain.
In a large bowl or plastic bag, toss the flank steak with gelatin powder, until evenly coated.
Place the steak into the slow cooker.
In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut aminos, minced garlic, sweetener, molasses, sesame oil, ground ginger, salt, and pepper. Pour the sauce over the steak in the slow cooker and stir to coat.
Cover and cook for 4-6 hours on Low or 2-3 hours on High, until steak is tender and cooked through.
Optional step: If you want a thicker sauce at the end, you can remove the meat, pour the sauce into a medium saucepan, and simmer for 10-15 minutes to reduce the sauce. Otherwise, feel free to skip this step and just drizzle the liquid over the meat for serving.
Made this? Leave a rating!
Video Showing How To Make Keto Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Keto Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef!
Want some moral support or recipe help?
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. You can find individual ingredient carb counts we use in the Low Carb & Keto Food List. Net carb count excludes fiber, erythritol, and allulose, because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. (Learn about net carbs here.) We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Want to save this recipe?
Create a free account to save your favourites recipes and articles!Sign Up To Save Recipes
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Wholesome Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or websites. We'd LOVE for you to share a link with photo instead. 🙂